Jewish Holocaust survivors condemn Israeli genocide in Gaza

MarkH

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything about this article is one big pathetic hit piece against Israel. Just look at the end sentence:

More than 2,090 Palestinians - mostly civilians - and 67 Israelis have been killed in recent weeks.

No mention whatsoever that the reason the numbers are disproportionate is because Israeli civilians keep having to jump into bomb shelters to dodge Hamas rockets; whereas the Palestinian civilians are being actively used as human shields by Hamas as part of a broader culture of martyrdom glorification and cynical PR campaigning.

I'd also like to point out that these 300 people are not all Holocaust survivors and they are all reliant on the western news media for their information. Given the high proportion of Jews in Britain and America who are liberal or left-wing oriented, it's no surprise they would get a skewed and inaccurate view of Israel and the current situation, one which demonises Israel. How could they not, when left-wing media outlets are so heavily biased against Israel?

What "genocide" in Gaza? 2,000 people - probably half of them people who've been dead for years, yet mysteriously appear on Palestinian killed lists again and again - during specific military operations against a terrorist organisation who are firing rockets at your civilian population. Some genocide!

I understand Mark's misapprehension of where we're coming from, and I can assure him that we're not ultra-conservative Zionists ! Very far from it in my case certainly. It's unfortunate for the truth and an informed understanding of real politics (Something that we all struggle with) that the liberal progressive consensus that frames people's view of the world, should distort what's really happening in the Middle East.

Perhaps the only good thing (I stress the only good thing) to come out of the current crisis is that it may wake people up to the real threat of Islamicist fundamentalism, and the fact that it's coming to a high street near you any time soon.

Political correctness; with its origins in the decline of class politics and the substitution of ideology for religion; anti-Western narratives and fashionable neo-Marxist theory; the crisis of Western confidence with all its guilt and shame for the real and imagined sins of Empire; and the self-doubt and masochism instilled by the feminist and anti-racism movements; has left us impotent and has infantilized our political culture. It's time to get back to common sense folks.

Thanks for the interesting but somewhat predictable replies, I am way from my office at present and limited to typing on a very small mobile device with my very large fingers hence the lack of engagement.

Thanks for the interesting but somewhat predictable replies, I am way from my office at present and limited to typing on a very small mobile device with my very large fingers hence the lack of engagement.

Have you got something new to hand-wring about?

Perhaps the only good thing (I stress the only good thing) to come out of the current crisis is that it may wake people up to the real threat of Islamicist fundamentalism, and the fact that it's coming to a high street near you any time soon.

The irony of that statement is that the Islamic fundamentalism of Hamas is a direct result of the settlement of Palestine and abuse of its people. Without the creation of Israel and subsequent conflict there would be no Hamas.

Political correctness; with its origins in the decline of class politics and the substitution of ideology for religion; anti-Western narratives and fashionable neo-Marxist theory; the crisis of Western confidence with all its guilt and shame for the real and imagined sins of Empire; and the self-doubt and masochism instilled by the feminist and anti-racism movements; has left us impotent and has infantilized our political culture. It's time to get back to common sense folks.

You're right. We need to reclaim the glory days of empire with its rigid class structure, rampant abuse of capitalism, slavery, sexism, racism- and what's all this about knowledge? Surely the bible teaches us everything we need to know?

I do have some sympathy with you where it comes to this crisis of Western identity. With the passing of the industrial West and its values we are struggling to understand what we are about. But instead of looking backwards we should be looking forwards. Liberalism, secularism, equality, and fairness are values to be celebrated rather than weaknesses to be spurned. The answer to violent, repressive, traditional, religious bigotry is not more of the same!

Archived