Don't forget to cancel your insurance when selling your bike/car!

NeverAgain

http://britishbikersassociation.org/blog/entry/scots-biker-in-insurance-hell-after-legal-loophole-forces-him-to-pay-thousands-for-death-crash-on-his-old-bike

A biker could be forced to pay tens of ­thousands of pounds after a man died on the motorcycle he had sold him days before. A legal loophole means Paul Duffy could be liable for all ­insurance costs for the accident which claimed the life of banned driver James Bryson , despite having no link to it at all. Bryson bought Paul’s Kawasaki Ninja on August 13 but was not insured when he smashed into a Toyota Yaris near Arbroath seven days later. But because Paul forgot to cancel his policy, his insurance firm MCE Insurance are liable for the crash and can claim the costs from him in court.

Shocking story but a reminder for everyone to cancel their insurance when selling a vehicle, I left insurance running on a motorbike for about 2 months after selling it (had to pay to cancel, already paid for the year and only had 2 months left to run so didn't see the point)

The British Isles' policies are fairly unique in narrowly defining whose is insured to drive and who is not. Any driver policies are rare outside the commercial sector. I have never seen an 'any driver' bike policy. That said, this driver who committed hari-kari was mostly likely not a driver allowed under the policy so I am amazed that a claim is being allowed.

Archived