the EU high power Vacuum ban

Tempus Fugit

what a waste of time and effect, banning all the fripperies which will make a miniscule difference to the planet, how many hours a day/week do vacuums get used ?

If they really wanted to make a difference how about banning anything with an engine over 3Litre (used for hours a day ferrying little darlings with no legs to and from school), surely that would have 1000 times more effect than a tiddly hoover used a couple of hours a week

Just see what the EU has done for the environment, you now go to places with eco lighting and it's so gloomy it's not bright enough to read a book (glad I have a secret stache of 100w GLS lamps in the attic :lol: ) and now everywhere will be covered in dust and everyone will have to take longer to clean the house using more electricity defeating the object of the excerise

the EU are as much use as a chocolate teapot

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

everyone will have to take longer to clean the house using more electricity defeating the object of the excerise

This is the way I see it and yet for years they said by a high power vacuum cleaner to get rid of dust mites etc. I'm not really fussed about a 1600w limit as my Dyson is under that anyway and i'm more than happy with the performance but the 900w rating being introduced in 2017 will be an issue I believe.

I read that kettles will also be limited soon. It takes the same amount of energy to boil a 900 watt kettle as it does to boil a 2000 watt kettle. Stupid.

Kettles will be sold that are smaller. Similarly vaccuum cleaners will be manufactured that are more efficient. The present things that rely on internal cyclones to seperate what is collected from air that is then exhausted use a great deal of energy just to do that. With any luck we'll see a return to vaccuum that are like the old Hoovers with bags that needed to be emptied. Not only more efficient and so used much less electricity but IMO a lot better than the Dyson things.

The fact that a kettle might be smaller makes no difference to how much energy is required to raise the temperature by a certain amount of a certain mass of water. Kettle elements are 100% efficient anyway.

Whoever dreamed this up probably hasn't got a physics GCSE.

The fact that a kettle might be smaller makes no difference to how much energy is required to raise the temperature by a certain amount of a certain mass of water. Kettle elements are 100% efficient anyway.

Whoever dreamed this up probably hasn't got a physics GCSE.

Human nature being what it is means that people will fill a smaller kettle just as so many fill a bigger kettle and not just what they want at the time. That is where the reduction of electrical energy will come about.

Archived