Scotland The Brave!

Max Power

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am talking about staff and tax exploitation that is normally close to your heart. Or does your concern not extend to when you are the one getting the consequent low price?

Are Amazon staff exploited any more than HMV or Waterstones or Game staff?

Based on the stories I've read and seen about the conditions in their warehouses I say yes to that one. Aren't there big concerns over Amazon's tax affairs as well?

I am talking about staff and tax exploitation that is normally close to your heart. Or does your concern not extend to when you are the one getting the consequent low price?

Are Amazon staff exploited any more than HMV or Waterstones or Game staff?

Based on the stories I've read and seen about the conditions in their warehouses I say yes to that one. Aren't there big concerns over Amazon's tax affairs as well?

Tax yes, but I've only heard hearsay about worker conditions. They obviously have to pay the minimum wage, which is no less than what the stores in Strand Street pay their workers. What exactly are they doing to mistreat workers more than high street stores? I'll have to research it.

Tax yes, but I've only heard hearsay about worker conditions. They obviously have to pay the minimum wage, which is no less than what the stores in Strand Street pay their workers. What exactly are they doing to mistreat workers more than high street stores? I'll have to research it.

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#safe=off&q=working+conditions+amazon+warehouse

Prof Michael Marmot was shown secret filming of night shifts involving up to 11 miles of walking - where an undercover worker was expected to collect orders every 33 seconds.

Sounds no more stressful or demanding than any other physical job. Why no reports on the conditions in the warehouses used by HMV, Waterstones, Game, etc? I smell a witch hunt.

Prof Michael Marmot was shown secret filming of night shifts involving up to 11 miles of walking - where an undercover worker was expected to collect orders every 33 seconds.

Sounds no more stressful or demanding than any other physical job. Why no reports on the conditions in the warehouses used by HMV, Waterstones, Game, etc? I smell a witch hunt.

HMV, Waterstones, Game, etc. are nowhere no the size of the multi-national corporate monster that is Amazon. I find it surprising that someone so interested in worker's rights and anti-capitalism hasn't looked at Amazon before and thinks there is some sort of witch hunt being hatched. Amazon currently run at a massive loss simply so they can consume and ultimately control the market.

And yes I am a hypocrite and use Amazon, I doubt there are many out there who don't.

I do share your concern about Amazon; I just have the same concern about all retail warehouses.

It's a total myth that Amazon run at a loss. They might have deliberately run at a loss on something like the Kindle, to begin with, in order to get people to buy them, but ultimately they make a profit in the long-term as the product becomes more popular and people were buying e-books for them. I notice, from my emails, that they're now selling a mobile phone. Maybe they'll run that at a loss to begin with too in order to get people onto it. Or maybe not.

I do share your concern about Amazon; I just have the same concern about all retail warehouses.

It's a total myth that Amazon run at a loss. They may deliberately run at a loss on something like the Kindle, to begin with, in order to get people to buy them, but ultimately they make a profit in the long-term as the product got more popular and people were buying e-books for them.

Ok, maybe not at a loss but it certainly doesn't make much profit considering its size. There must be some economic model reason for that.

There's more than a little hypocrisy involved when anyone from the island criticises any company for tax avoidance by making use of tax havens or tax avoidance schemes of questionable legality or morality.

As for working conditions, far too many young people today understand what hard work means, or that they should be paid according to the value they bring to a business and nothing more.

With the complexity of the world today my opinion is that suffrage should be withheld until the age of 25 and even then be restricted to people who are literate in English.

Yeah like there are no fucktards over the age of 25 who are literate in English - that'll sort the world out. whatever.gif

Keep it simple this is about voting in Scotland so anybody who cares enough to turn up and can vaguely wipe their own arse is challenging enough so let's not get over excited.

Why doesn't the IOM join up with Scotland and become one nation, we couldn't do any worse tied to England as we are, only trouble is we signed our rights away over oil and drilling for it to England.

because the rock is owned by the crown. you just pay rent

Seeing as the Jews were allowed to reclaim Israel from Palestine, on that basis we the Manx should use a Yes vote in Scotland to reclaim our kingdom of Sodor.

We could begin with and invasion and settlement of the Hebrides and progress to a full takeover and annexation of the Scottish lands

Why doesn't the IOM join up with Scotland and become one nation, we couldn't do any worse tied to England as we are, only trouble is we signed our rights away over oil and drilling for it to England.

because the rock is owned by the crown. you just pay rent

Seeing as the Jews were allowed to reclaim Israel from Palestine, on that basis we the Manx should use a Yes vote in Scotland to reclaim our kingdom of Sodor.

We could begin with and invasion and settlement of the Hebrides and progress to a full takeover and annexation of the Scottish lands

Ha! Similarly I'm sure if we look around in old books long enough we'll find something somewhere written down that would justify it.

that they're now selling a mobile phone. Maybe they'll run that at a loss to begin with too in order to get people onto it. Or maybe not.

Original price was around £200, dropped it after a couple of months to £0.99 or free after apparently poor sales and not very good reviews. I'd say they're running it at a loss.

ETA used to be a big fan of Amazon, now only use it as a last resort.

Archived