Can't believe young teenagers are listening to this music

Dreidel Dreidelsohn

Very disappointed with Strand Street today. Walked out of a shop in disgust when a singer came on the loudspeaker singing "I impregnated your mouth". A quick Google search shows it was a song called Drunk In Love, a collaboration by Beyonce, Jay Z and Kanye West. I have never heard of any of them but apparently they're very popular with the young people.

Here are some highlights from the song's lyrics:

Woo! Cause you a milf and I'm a motherfucker
Told you give the drummer some, now the drummer cummin'

I ain't no pastor, don't do missionary
I know good pussy when I see it, I'm a visionary

That cowgirl, you reverse that cowgirl
You reverse, you reverse, and I impregnated your mouth, girl, ooooh
That's when I knew you could be my spouse, girl
We fuckin' all over the house, girl, we just messed up a brand new couch, girl

Why can't I keep my fingers off it, baby? I want you, na-na
Why can't I keep my fingers off you, baby? I want you, na-na

Sleep tight, we sex again in the morning
Your breasteses is my breakfast, we going in, we be all night

I want your body right here, daddy, I want you, right now
Can't keep your eyes off my fatty, daddy, I want you

I can't believe teenagers are listening to this sort of junk. Parents, I recommend confiscating any albums by these "artists" from your teens' music collections, or delete it from their iPods.

/SMH.

"Cause you a milf and I'm a motherfucker" Lol, this is hilarious! Wordsworth would be made up.

Why would you be disappointed with the whole of Strand Street because you heard a rude word in a single shop?

Never heard of Jay Z or Beyonce? Yah, right.

I shouldn't have expected better from people who idolise Aleister "Do what thou wilt" Crowley. It just shocked me to hear it playing in a high street store at about 3pm on a Saturday afternoon when there are parents taking their young children around. Surely such lyrics should be consigned to late evenings or night time?

A song about sex, how scandalous. I've had a listen and a watch on You Tube, and it isn't quite as stark as when the OP quotes the lyrics selectively. As cooldad says, there's ample precedent. Black music has often been shocking to the white middle class establishment: jazz, blues, rock & roll, soul all attracted hatred from the 'bible belt' because of sexual content. The difference is that back then, it was usually dressed up in innuendo and euphemism. For example, 'They're Red Hot" by the inimitable Robert Johnson in 1937 or if you would like something with cruder double entendre "My Girl's Pussy" by the Brit Harry Roy in 1931.

The language would have been clearly understood by the original audience. So is the removal of euphemism and singing about sex in plain, undisguised terminology really something shocking and bad?

I am conflicted, as I do think children are being sexualised by popular culture, which is very regrettable. But ultimately, it is good parenting and education that should be used to protect children, not moral panic about sexual popular music.

edit to add: But yes, songs with sexually explicit lyrics ought to be subject to the watershed, and not played in shops during the day.

A song about sex, how scandalous. I've had a listen and a watch on You Tube, and it isn't quite as stark as when the OP quotes the lyrics selectively.

It's not the sex I find scandalous. People have been singing and writing about that for thousands of years. What I find scandalous is the way it profanes and vulgarises it, and the way it objectifies women.

A song about sex, how scandalous. I've had a listen and a watch on You Tube, and it isn't quite as stark as when the OP quotes the lyrics selectively.

It's not the sex I find scandalous. People have been singing and writing about that for thousands of years. What I find scandalous is the way it profanes and vulgarises it, and the way it objectifies women.

Profanes and vulgarises sex? I think it just describes sex frankly in everyday language.

I also can't really see anything that particularly objectifies women in the excerpts you quote. A MILF? Purely descriptive and accurate, and motherfucker is presumably literally true in this context. Less explicit lyrics from long ago have been a lot more inclined to objectify women, for example 'Under My Thumb' (1966) Jagger/Richards, a song which nevertheless I listen to in context and admire.

Archived