Changes to UK car TAX (VED)

ManxMann

This popped up on a car forum and it struck me that it will cause no end of issues for IOM residents buying cars privately in the UK.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/68471

The UK government has seen fit to change the laws on car tax (VED), so that when a UK seller sells you a car they automatically get a refund for any whole remaining months of TAX on the car and the onus is then placed on the new owner to tax their new purchase. A nice way of getting twice the tax for the sale month!

Apparently there will be a 24/7 automated service in place for the 'buyer' to TAX their new purchase.

My concern is if 'legally' the current car TAX is void the moment it is sold, and hence also any insurance cover you have how will you get it back to the Island?

For newer cars 'if' the seller is willing and your happy to commit to buy before you try you could get hold of the V5 'before' collection and pre register/TAX the car, but what if it is older than 3years it will need to go through the local import test which means the scheme of obtaining the V5 and pre registering the car won't work.

So from today how do I lawfully buy a car privately from the UK? The only solution I can see is to use a car transport service to get the car to/from the docks. A point to remember about the local quirks it is 'legal' to drive an untaxed car to the testing centre but if it fails you cannot drive it home.

Don't really see a problem.

For the few hours it takes you to drive it from the previous owner to here, they are not going to get the paperwork in the post to get the VED refund. Its still going to show up as taxed, disk showing or not.

You can back purchase VED, simply buy a disk starting at the beginning of the month you brought it over.

As for coming over to visit, if the country it is registered in does not gave out tax disks, don't worry about it. Same goes for us driving in the UK with cars over 3 years old with no MoT certificate.

The crunch over here will be all the UK registered vehicles being used by residents. Expect to see more UK vehicles getting stopped to find out where the owner lives.

I've not check the new reg's in detail, shame on me. At what point does the TAX 'legally' end is it at the point of sale or the point of registration?

If the former whilst the documentation may take a few days and hence allow you to skirt the rules what happens if you have an accident? It will quickly become apparent that the car is _NOT_ legally taxed and hence your insurance will become void!

As has been mentioned above what measures is the Island putting in place to verify the UK cars coming off the boat?

The tax status of a vehicle does not void your insurance, at least not the 3rd party element of it so provided you have cover in place you're legal in that respect.

Edit to add: Unless your insurer explicitly states otherwise.

So from today how do I lawfully buy a car privately from the UK? The only solution I can see is to use a car transport service to get the car to/from the docks. A point to remember about the local quirks it is 'legal' to drive an untaxed car to the testing centre but if it fails you cannot drive it home.

Thought I'd email the DVLA and find out. The procedure is exactly the same as it used to be if you were buying an untaxed car before the changes, but easier than before now.

Buy the car

Sort insurance

Use the code on the new keepers supplement V5C/2 to tax the car - you don't need to have the V5 in your name or even be a UK resident to do this and it can be done online or via a 24 hour phone service.

Drive car to the IOM

Get it tested if necessary and re-registered

Write to the DVLA requesting a manual refund of remaining tax

Just a word of warning about the above Dave. The DVLA will not give you a refund unless the V5C is in your name (and by inference at a UK address). *

A point to remember about the local quirks it is 'legal' to drive an untaxed car to the testing centre but if it fails you cannot drive it home.

Source? It sounds mighty unlikely unless it failed on a serious issue rendering immediately unroadworthy in which case you wouldn't want to drive it home.

For those determined to get around this, you don't have to go to the nearest testing station but you might have a bit of trouble booking it if the test isn't due for some time...

*Edit - unless they've changed something on Oct 1st regarding this.

Note to self - must try harder next time. They point blank refused a few months back quoting some bit about no refund without a UK address. However that was a refund with a tax disc on the bought vehicle which won't happen now with the new rules.

Next time I'll mention Big Dave.

At the time they told me to send in a V14 with the tax disc and wait for the letter rejecting the refund, then write back explaining the circumstances. I also had the post office receipt for the tax as I had to stick 6 months tax on it to drive it home, which probably helped. And although it took me a couple of months to get it tested and reg'd here, they backdated the refund to the date of export, which was nice, so I got 5 months back instead of 3.

They did actually confirm in an email today I could apply for a refund as an IOM resident by writing to the "Refunds Casework" dept. Presumably now everyone is forced to buy tax at the point of sale they've realised they need to cut the red tape?

Another thought did occur to me though. They do monthly tax by DD now. Declaring the export stops the DD. Might be better than waiting 6 weeks for a cheque.

Just a word of warning about the above Dave. The DVLA will not give you a refund unless the V5C is in your name (and by inference at a UK address). *

A point to remember about the local quirks it is 'legal' to drive an untaxed car to the testing centre but if it fails you cannot drive it home.

Source? It sounds mighty unlikely unless it failed on a serious issue rendering immediately unroadworthy in which case you wouldn't want to drive it home.

For those determined to get around this, you don't have to go to the nearest testing station but you might have a bit of trouble booking it if the test isn't due for some time...

*Edit - unless they've changed something on Oct 1st regarding this.

you can drive to and from a testing station but it has to be one nearest to the registered address, driving from the other side of the uk ain't allowed

testing station can put a prohibition notice on it which means it cant be driven away

insurance will pay out to 3rd party but not on your vehicle and could go after you for costs

Given even an electronic vex system but paper V5 and sorn in UK you have to look at the whole picture.

Seller will only get ved refund when he sends in the sale notice or permanent export notice on the v5. So it remains taxed. You don't need to re tax it or register it in UK. You are exporting it.

It's going to take a few days. You ask the seller to not lodge for a couple of weeks. Remember you can drive the vehicle here before its tested, registered and taxed only if it's registered and taxed in its country of origin.

"Sellers are expected to inform the DVLA of any change of ownership straight away or face a £1,000 fine. If they don’t, they could also still be liable for speeding or parking fines incurred by the new owner."

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/88361/end-of-the-tax-disc-uk-vehicle-excise-duty-road-tax-changes-explained#ixzz3FAWO6u68

Archived