Changes to UK car TAX (VED)

ManxMann

you can drive to and from a testing station but it has to be one nearest to the registered address, driving from the other side of the uk ain't allowed

Source? My source of the contrary is a VOSA inspector. He said you can drive to any station you like as long as 1) Its pre-arranged and 2) you go straight there.

testing station can put a prohibition notice on it which means it cant be driven away

I am pleased you are agreeing with this point I made in the preceding post #9. A prohibition would only come about by taking a vehicle with a serious fault.

insurance will pay out to 3rd party but not on your vehicle and could go after you for costs

Possibly and if it was a flagrant breach of law who could disagree? However if it was just a matter of getting a vehicle back here in the course of a day then it would be arguable especially with the ombudsperson. The default would be "we're not paying" as the person pressing f5 or whatever to produce than letter will have never come across this scenario in training. As Big Dave has illustrated, you might have to wait for the rejection letter to proceed which in itself a ludicrous way of going on but this is the DVLA we're talking about. Never forget their remit is to relieve you of money.

you can drive to and from a testing station but it has to be one nearest to the registered address, driving from the other side of the uk ain't allowed

Source? My source of the contrary is a VOSA inspector. He said you can drive to any station you like as long as 1) Its pre-arranged and 2) you go straight there.

never ask a womble anything, they know f*ck allthumbsup.gif i know because people have been taken to court for it, caselaw backs it up

GD - it would take at least a day (more at the weekend) for any paperwork to get back to Swansea so if you didn't have a weeks holiday in the UK, you'd likely be back here by the time the police computer had caught up.

One concern I do have about no physical tax disc in the vehicle is that the police can say it's not taxed when it is and maybe seize it. You could probably prove you'd paid initially for the virtual tax disc but what if they said you might have cashed it in? How would you disprove that? Traffic police aren't generally known for their ability to think around issues.

Some numpty stopped my van on a very busy M1 last year as the reg.no. didn't exist on the DVLA computer. When it was very politely pointed out that it was Manx reg'd (with all the supporting docs as required by law) he immediately changed tack to what are you doing here and how long have you been here? About 2 and a half hours was the answer followed by have you got a ferry ticket to confirm that? FFS! I hadn't and he then gave up with a stark warning that his mates in the next area might repeat this process all the way to Portsmouth. They really don't do themselves any favours sometimes.

Another note to self - tell your brother in law that some bloke on MF says you're a womble despite having done the job for 25 years, part of which involves court appearances in successful prosecutions.

Source of the caselaw? Perhaps they didn't pre-book or went to the theatre on the way when their test was actually booked a few days later?

Edit : I'd love to prove him wrong btw 'cos he's a smart ass womble.

Just a word of warning about the above Dave. The DVLA will not give you a refund unless the V5C is in your name (and by inference at a UK address). *

A point to remember about the local quirks it is 'legal' to drive an untaxed car to the testing centre but if it fails you cannot drive it home.

Source? It sounds mighty unlikely unless it failed on a serious issue rendering immediately unroadworthy in which case you wouldn't want to drive it home.

For those determined to get around this, you don't have to go to the nearest testing station but you might have a bit of trouble booking it if the test isn't due for some time...

*Edit - unless they've changed something on Oct 1st regarding this.

The test centre, so take with a pinch of salt! biggrin.png

I've had a car fail due to a lack of fog light, which is hardly a 'Serious Issue' no matter how foggy the mountain.

testing station can put a prohibition notice on it which means it cant be driven away

I am pleased you are agreeing with this point I made in the preceding post #9. A prohibition would only come about by taking a vehicle with a serious fault.

insurance will pay out to 3rd party but not on your vehicle and could go after you for costs

Possibly and if it was a flagrant breach of law who could disagree? However if it was just a matter of getting a vehicle back here in the course of a day then it would be arguable especially with the ombudsperson. The default would be "we're not paying" as the person pressing f5 or whatever to produce than letter will have never come across this scenario in training. As Big Dave has illustrated, you might have to wait for the rejection letter to proceed which in itself a ludicrous way of going on but this is the DVLA we're talking about. Never forget their remit is to relieve you of money.

VOSA? Why on earth would I take a car I'd purchased for a UK MOT! I'm referring to the local import safety test on the IOM. According to the head examiner you can legally drive the car without current UK VED to the test centre, if stopped show your appointment confirmation. However as stated if it fails you are unable to drive it back.

test booked same day, its on http://www.bailii.org/ if the womble wants to look it up (the prosecution was done by vosa thumbsup.gif )

having done the job for 25 years, part of which involves court appearances in successful prosecutions

sounds like a rightwhatever.gif

the amount of cases they loses is unreal just because of big headed wombles who fail to read what the law states

VOSA? Why on earth would I take a car I'd purchased for a UK MOT!

You'd have to if required one and you were in the UK and wanted to abide with the requirements confirmed in Big Dave's DVLA reply. Perhaps I'm confused in thinking that this whole thread relates to the change in UK requirements of taxing a vehicle and how that might apply to us buying over there (and then getting a rfd refund). Are you on a IOM only parallel thread for some reason? If so, none of all this rubbish really applies smile.png

sounds like a rightwhatever.gif

Quite possibly. However I've always found him to be a really nice guy who perhaps likes his job a bit too much. I'll pass on that link and see what transpires. Personally I'm still trying to find the applicable case law. I haven't passed the requirements of the Hong Kong Air Navigation Order yet. There's an awful lot on there when you search nearest+testing+stationrolleyes.gif

VOSA? Why on earth would I take a car I'd purchased for a UK MOT! I'm referring to the local import safety test on the IOM. According to the head examiner you can legally drive the car without current UK VED to the test centre, if stopped show your appointment confirmation. However as stated if it fails you are unable to drive it back.

Not true, they sent me on my way when my camper failed.

Plus how would you get fixed/prepped for the retest with it stuck in their compound?

you can't drive it away, it can be towed away though, it isn't impounded.

Well I drove mine away as have thousands of other test failure's you only can't drive it away it it has some life threatening problems!

And you're not allowed to work on the vehicle at the Ballafletcher test station.

It's discretionary from the test examiners if they do allow it...change a bulb, adjust the headlight alignment etc.

But you could just imagine somebody taking the gearbox out to change the clutch on the brake rollers if that rule wasn't enforced.

Incidentally the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) has gone by the wayside, last March; it's now Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/vehicle-and-operator-services-agency

TBT.

You're both kind of right there. First off, there is nothing in law that says you have to go to *THE* closest MOT station. No coppers are going to be pulling people over and reporting them because their chosen MOT station is 300 yards further from their house than the absolute closest. The problems arise though when you appear to be going quite a bit out of your way without any valid reason - then you get reported, summonsed and have to convince a magistrate that the extra 100 miles you're travelling are solely for the purpose of getting an MOT or that Sainsburys is genuinely on the most direct route despite being an extra half an hour.

One of the current favourites I believe is people buying a car on eBay without an MOT. "No problem" they think "I'll just go on up to Leeds and collect that car and book an MOT at my local place in Southampton" in the mistaken belief that a sham MOT appointment is a loophole. It isn't - it's quite plain to a copper and a magistrate that the real reason for the journey has feck all to do with merely getting an MOT and is just a way of buying a car without forking out for a trailer/transporter by simply buying a throwaway £40 MOT appointment.

Archived