Are the Russians spying in your home?

Cronky

Telegraph - Is your webcam allowing hackers to peer into your home?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/11242650/Is-your-webcam-allowing-hackers-to-peer-into-your-home.html

Owners of internet-connected cameras have fallen prey to Russian hackers who created a website to broadcast their privates lives. The site is live-streaming babies asleep in their cots, families at home and potentially sensitive business information from offices.

. . . the Telegraph was able to watch workers going about their business in offices, warehouses and factories and people relaxing in their own homes. A total of 584 vulnerable video cameras in the UK were listed on the website.

All because:

The problem stems from internet-connected security cameras and webcams which have a feature enabling the owner to log-in remotely and check that their home or business is secure. This is a useful ability, but also one that is open to abuse if a strong password is not used.

Many people choose to leave the default password in place when they buy the devices – something which is exploitable by people who scan the internet for such devices and attempt to log in.

Big Brother or just one of many Little Sisters?

Ever heard of Shodan? It's a search engine for open devices connected to the Internet. I've heard of everything from traffic lights to skating rinks to CCTV cameras all being accessible without passwords.

This is no surprise, and it's the reason most webcams have a small light next to them, or even a sliding privacy cover.

Relevant video here, well worth a watch:

In 1998 / 1999 I scanned all public addresses in Switzerland (by accident) looking for networked printers and other stuff (used SNMP). What I found was amazing, especially in government departments.

I meant to scan just my own private addresses :( .

Anyway, a few 'phone calls later a good security company (not mine) had a nice big contract in Bern.

This isn't Big Brother. It's consumer incompetence and ignorance.

Really though, the manufacturers should disable remote access by default and make it a turn on service rather than a turn off out of the box.

Anyone know what the state of play is with built in web-cams and those on tablets? I don't think they are internet connected but I would like to check and confirm.

As per Ans comment above I have thought about it a couple of times but never actually done anything about it.

Nasty software can access them on PCs/Macs but many have a little light next to them

Tablets are more secure by nature but it's perfectly plausible for someone malicious to get access to it. Usual security precautions apply

I've read of cases in America where hackers have accessed wireless (two-way) baby/toddler monitors. There was one woman who walked into the room and heard some sick twisted low life using profanities and saying horrible things to the toddler You think you're safe in your own home, and you can protect your kids from sickos, only for them to violate your privacy and hack you.

Couldn't find the article I read, which was probably over a year ago, but here's a more recent case of the similar:

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/man-hacks-monitor-screams-baby-girl-n91546

What the hell is wrong with these people?

From what I've read, the remedy is straightforward. Ensure all your connected devices have a password, and change the default password. How many routers still have the default p/w I wonder? I know mine did for years, as it was so convenient just to be able to Google the password!

I've read of cases in America where hackers have accessed wireless (two-way) baby/toddler monitors. There was one woman who walked into the room and heard some sick twisted low life using profanities and saying horrible things to the toddler You think you're safe in your own home, and you can protect your kids from sickos, only for them to violate your privacy and hack you.

Couldn't find the article I read, which was probably over a year ago, but here's a more recent case of the similar:

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/man-hacks-monitor-screams-baby-girl-n91546

What the hell is wrong with these people?

The problem stems from people keeping the usernames and passwords either blank or as admin and password, or admin and admin. If it's any more complicated, it deters the average script kiddie.

From what I've read, the remedy is straightforward. Ensure all your connected devices have a password, and change the default password. How many routers still have the default p/w I wonder? I know mine did for years, as it was so convenient just to be able to Google the password!

My Laptop has a built in webcam but i've no idea about security settings as its not something i've ever thought about, where as these settings and how do I change them?

In 1998 / 1999 I scanned all public addresses in Switzerland (by accident) looking for networked printers and other stuff (used SNMP). What I found was amazing, especially in government departments.

I meant to scan just my own private addresses :( .

Anyway, a few 'phone calls later a good security company (not mine) had a nice big contract in Bern.

Good job it wasn't the USA...you'd have been 3 years into a 300 year sentence by now.

Archived