Scottish drink drive limit

Lightening McQueen

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I think the limit should be effectively zero - in that way people wouldn't be encouraged to push it. As it is now, people work out what it is safe to drink and not be over the limit. One pint? Two pints? Three pints as long as you've nursed the first one and had a gap of half an hour??? Who knows? Best is not to have anything at all.

When I was younger I used to time my drinks and sometimes fit 3 pints into a ~5-6hour night out and drive home.

Then I grew up a bit and realised all I was doing was increasing my risk of either an accident or losing my licence. What's the point in having 3 pints in a night out that long anyway? If it's not enough to affect your driving, it's not enough to bother having for recreational purposes.

Just make the limit zero and be done with it. No more chancers.

I know that alcohol affects my driving (riding) ability even after a pint, so I tend to just abstain completely. There's some reasonably palatible alcohol free beer around these days.

If there was a zero limit, I would be a bit concerned how many people would have an illegal residual alcohol level after a few pints the evening before. Even airline pilots are permitted to fly with a small amount of blood alcohol ( about a third of the UK limit for driving).

I know that alcohol affects my driving (riding) ability even after a pint, so I tend to just abstain completely. There's some reasonably palatible alcohol free beer around these days.

If there was a zero limit, I would be a bit concerned how many people would have an illegal residual alcohol level after a few pints the evening before. Even airline pilots are permitted to fly with a small amount of blood alcohol ( about a third of the UK limit for driving).

Assuming 0.8 units processed per hour by the liver (figure I last read was 1, but let's be on the safe side)

If you drank one pint per 45minutes on a 5hour night out, that'd be ~7pints in a night out. Roughly 16 units. Minus the 4 units for alcohol processed during the 5hours, 12 units. 15 hours before you could drive. 7 pints in a night out I would consider pretty heavy - though I don't drink often. Not sure you'd be in much of a state to do anything before midday the next day anyway with the hangover from that.

For reference, it'd be ~12-13hours before you could drive under the current rules. Not much of a change.

I only really drink once a month when we're playing at the Blues Club, and I get a lift there anyway.

That said, I worry that the disdain and legal consequences of having a few drinks and driving are becoming disproportionate. Someone could have been having a few pints at their country local for years, driving VERY carefully home and staying out of trouble. Then they get a pull for a blown stop light and within minutes they're in a cell looking at a hefty fine, possibly jail time and the loss of their driving licence for a couple of years and maybe their job. Nobody was affected, nobody was hurt or even at risk of getting hurt. Yet a thug who goes out, gets pissed and tries to kill someone for spilling his pint, then fights with the cops who arrest him gets a slap on the wrist. Seems unfair.

I'm not suggesting driving whilst drunk is in any way a good idea, but booze affects us all differently so an impairment test would be better. I'd fail after a sniff of the barmaid's apron, seasoned drinkers can be fully functional with a gallon of ale onboard. Most of us could probably have 4 or 5 pints and STILL drive better than a lot of the idiots who can't even drive sober. I'd rather the judiciary hammered those who ACTUALLY caused harm than those who (with an intolerant precognition) we think MIGHT.

Archived