Scottish drink drive limit

Lightening McQueen

My driving is better with 8 pints in me.

In all seriousness zero alcohol is impossible say mouthwash has alcohol in it you use it get pulled over on the way to work you could be locked up.

Pretty sure you're not supposed to ingest mouthwash.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always leave my whip if I'm having a drink as I rarely have just one but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to get a lift with someone who had drank but was still under the limit.

It's nanny state nonsense and I see they have plenty of people here brainwashed into thinking it's a good idea.

It's not the person who has one drink on the way home from work or a glass of wine with an evening meal or lunch who is the problem, it's the idiot who has half a dozen and is incapable, but still gets behind the wheel and will continue to do so whatever the legal sanction.

It's nanny state nonsense and I see they have plenty of people here brainwashed into thinking it's a good idea.

It's not the person who has one drink on the way home from work or a glass of wine with an evening meal or lunch who is the problem, it's the idiot who has half a dozen and is incapable, but still gets behind the wheel and will continue to do so whatever the legal sanction.

Tell that to someone who has had a family member injured by a driver who only had a glass of wine after work.

Tell that to someone who has had a family member injured by a driver who only had a glass of wine after work.

Yes. I was waiting for that one.

I only really drink once a month when we're playing at the Blues Club, and I get a lift there anyway.

That said, I worry that the disdain and legal consequences of having a few drinks and driving are becoming disproportionate. Someone could have been having a few pints at their country local for years, driving VERY carefully home and staying out of trouble. Then they get a pull for a blown stop light and within minutes they're in a cell looking at a hefty fine, possibly jail time and the loss of their driving licence for a couple of years and maybe their job. Nobody was affected, nobody was hurt or even at risk of getting hurt. Yet a thug who goes out, gets pissed and tries to kill someone for spilling his pint, then fights with the cops who arrest him gets a slap on the wrist. Seems unfair.

I'm not suggesting driving whilst drunk is in any way a good idea, but booze affects us all differently so an impairment test would be better. I'd fail after a sniff of the barmaid's apron, seasoned drinkers can be fully functional with a gallon of ale onboard. Most of us could probably have 4 or 5 pints and STILL drive better than a lot of the idiots who can't even drive sober. I'd rather the judiciary hammered those who ACTUALLY caused harm than those who (with an intolerant precognition) we think MIGHT.

Spot on, Stu. Spot on. Prorities are all upside down.

Are you saying this has never been a factor in a crash?

Except you'll probably struggle to find one.

Fuck off you pathetic troll.

My sister was injured by someone who had a glass of wine after work and thought they were fine to drive, they weren't! I hope no one you care about is ever injured or worse by a drink driver.

Except you'll probably struggle to find one.

You were probably guaranteed to find one hereabouts.

I stand by my earler point that life is full of risks and while it is painful when particular risk comes home to you, that does not mean we should bring draconian regulation down on each and every aspect of life.

Harking back to another thread, I was shouted down when I raised the point of repeat offenders killing, raping etc. having been released from sentences for similar crimes. In my view they should have been executed or at least spent the rest of their days incarcerated. I consider the release of these offenders a far higher risk to society at large than a person driving WITHIN the current legal limit but that won't stop them being released to do their worst. Yet people get hot under the collar about something like this.

When drink driving law came in in the '60s it was needed. It was good law. It still is good law and it does not need changing. The limit is appropriate in the overwhelming majority of cases and that is the test.

You were probably guaranteed to find one hereabouts.

A foul mouthed nutter launching into an unwarranted diatribe and some vaguely evidential anecdote prior to stuffing his stubby little digital fingers into what I expect are cauliflower digital ears, as if such an action serves as a fait accompli, is not enough to convince me I'm afraid. On the contrary in fact, it serves to boost my confidence in my own position. The Isle of Man should relax its drink driving laws, it doesn't seem to be that serious a problem over here.

Archived