Obesity = Disability?

wrighty

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming that's a serious point Moon, someone once said (paraphrasing) that the NHS had the ability , if left unchecked, to completely consume the country's GDP.

Obese people need help and encouragement rather than being vilified but it is generally a reversible condition. Even joints damaged by obesity will work better when not so loaded. Given that it is ultimately reversible then any perceived disability can only be temporary and is mostly in control of the sufferer. In the vast majority of cases it is therefore unlike most other disabilites which are non-reversible.

To describe it as a life choice may occasionally be too simplistic but I think is as good a general description as you can get. So no, in the vast majority of cases I don't agree this is a disability. When it rarely is, I'd say another disability of some sort is the real cause. Anyone with an associated condition leading to obesity should have that criterion used to determine rights rather than the obesity by-product itself.

I've been overweight since a teenager and four years ago decided to do something about it. I am no longer overweight. I don't particularly enjoy the two days a week limited to 500 kcal, 5 alcohol free days a week or the 4 miles I walk a day to achieve this but it needs to be done. Acceptance of why you have a problem rather than finding blame elsewhere (and saying I can't) is a very necessary step to sorting an issue out.

This ruling could be even better for lawyers than human rights!

Edit : spelling

>someone once said (paraphrasing) that the NHS had the ability , if left unchecked, to completely consume the country's GDP.

Decades ago Thatcher threw in another £100 million into the NHS as an ex-gratia payment over and above the normal budget. Ostensibly to reduce waiting times.

It disappeared in the blink of an eye.

wrighty added a list of the cost of operations a few weeks back, and with an ageing population, obesity, new operations/medicines etc; it's easy to see why the cash was consumed so quickly.

Could we offer a discount for those healthy people; something along the lines of we all pay 100% NI contributions at the appropriate rate (as now), with a reduced sliding scale for those that are fit, healthy, BMI approved, non-smokers, run a 4 minute mile, never bother your GP etc? A bit like car insurance where the safer drivers receive a NCB.

Could such as scheme be self-financing as we'd look after ourselves better to qualify for the rebate. Less people at the GP's surgery thus less referrals to the hospital. Reduced waiting lists etc.

Make sense?

TBT.

Edit to add link:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/margaret-thatchers-impact-on-the-nhs-8564758.html

by wrightys logic alcholics, especially the ones actually getting disability pay ( which helps them buy even more drink ) are not actually disabled either?? I agree with him, stop paying piss heads more money to help them stay piss heads, it is only adding to the problem. can't weight ( pun intended ) for the weigh ins to see if you are allowed in mc donalds .. eric pickles is barred.

I do seriously wonder just how many jobs, besides those where physical fitness is a requirement, really preclude obese people from performing tasks as well as anyone else. There's a real danger of losing perspective here. I wonder what the legislation is in the USA where 'obesity' is much more prevalent ? If you look at the size of many of their policemen it doesn't seem to prevent them doing the job.

Although I agree with much of what's already been said, obesity shouldn't wholly be seen as an individual problem either. Whilst the individual must ultimately be responsible where over-eating / lack of exercise is the cause; we shouldn't be overlooking the role of the food industry (not least at Christmas time), the decline of manual jobs, changing leisure patterns, adolescent culture, the computerisation of everyday life, etc.

There are far too many myths and stereotypes around this whole debate.

• 2 weeks later...

The simple question to ask is: Have you ever seen a big-boned skeleton?

How many obese people do you think have the faulty genes or glandular problem that they claim they have, whilst neglecting to mention the 3 pizzas for tea, washed down with a bottle of diet coke, which makes it all better. With a couple of mars bars for desert.

I don't think people should be allowed special treatment because of their weight, unless it's a genuine medical cause. i.e The fat Danish bloke was unable to do the job, therefore he was fired, that's fair. I can't hoof huge bags of concrete or building supplies around all day, doesn't mean I'm going to sue because the job doesn't suit me.

A paraplegic may not be disposed to being a firefighter, but many find jobs within the scope of their physical ability if they are able to work.

Not everyone is cut out to do every job, and we should accept that, not whine and blame someone else.

Yeah,the monster hanging from the ceiling in the natural history gallery.

It's a whale just like the rest of them.

Archived