Government To Shut Down Training Centre

FCMR

I am afraid you may be a little wide of the mark here FCMR. My understanding from the gossip (I reiterate gossip) is that the construction of the new Training Centre is to be scrapped with the COFE taking a more prominant role in Craft Training.

To try and settle the debate (as if that's possible).

Over a period of time the role and functions of the Training Centre, Hills Meadow will be taken over by the DoE through the IOM College. However, you should bear in mind that the vast majority of Craft training for the construction industry is already done at the college. It's just that the DTI administers and subsequently pays for it. They only do some engineering, basic construction and Office courses there.

There will still be the building of a new Construction training centre but this will be run by the College, not DTI. And ultimately, yes, the Training Centre will cease to exist. Over whatever period they choose (maybe 2-3 yrs) they will move all the current training held at the Training Centre to other locations, mainly the IOM College.

The posts that said they were refurbishing only, I'm sorry but you're wrong.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So in 2-3 years, they are closing the Training Centre and opening up a Contruction Training Centre, run by the college.

This differs quite significantly from the assertion that it is to close permanently, which was what was originally claimed. 'Sonner than you think' is somewhat liberal too given the timescales you're quoting.

Thanks for clearing it up, even though you've offered no supporting evidence, it sounds a good deal more plausible than the original, laughable, claim.

2-3 yrs is just what I've heard it will take for the whole thing. Some parts may well move quickly. I guess we'll just have to see.

The most laughable suggestion was that it was because everyone had decided to use cheap labour. Hence, why I mentioned that the Training Centre does not provide Contstruction training (to Apprenticeship level) but the College already does.

In terms of supporting evidence, you're quite right. I aint got any. But watch this space..............

relocate some of the kittens to the slaughterhouse

This is not true we don't have the equipment to deal with these vicious animals!

I have however heard that these kittens are now going to be seeing eye cats for the deaf.

I am afraid you may be a little wide of the mark here FCMR. My understanding from the gossip (I reiterate gossip) is that the construction of the new Training Centre is to be scrapped with the COFE taking a more prominant role in Craft Training.

To try and settle the debate (as if that's possible).

Over a period of time the role and functions of the Training Centre, Hills Meadow will be taken over by the DoE through the IOM College. However, you should bear in mind that the vast majority of Craft training for the construction industry is already done at the college. It's just that the DTI administers and subsequently pays for it. They only do some engineering, basic construction and Office courses there.

There will still be the building of a new Construction training centre but this will be run by the College, not DTI. And ultimately, yes, the Training Centre will cease to exist. Over whatever period they choose (maybe 2-3 yrs) they will move all the current training held at the Training Centre to other locations, mainly the IOM College.

The posts that said they were refurbishing only, I'm sorry but you're wrong.

You say 2/3 years, can you answer this.

Are the trade tests that are normally done at Hills Meadow now finished with.

How many of the staff have already been given their notice.

Is it not also true that the IOMEF are against the new training sceme that is to be run by the BOE, the new sceme will mean that apprentices will be taken off the sites and placed on a block booking.

Why have the Government/DTi been trying to keep this from the public.

For those of you that want to know what the trade test is about.

Trade testing was set up some time ago, this is due to the fact that if you want to work on a Government contract, you had to be a registered contractor. This status is granted to those that can prove that they have served a full apprenticship, There is many tradesmen that have lost their papers or have been trained by their fathers (grandfather rights) or have just been doing the job since leaving school. Those that have no papers to say that an apprenticeship had been completed, but could show evidence that they have worked at the trade for a long period of time, were then given the chance to show that they could do the job by way of a trades test. Those that passed the test were then granted registration.

I've just heard that.....this is utter rubbish.  They will close for refurbishment and some of it will be relocated.

But is is NOT a permanent closure

Same thing I was told too. More 'factual' reporting from the frontline once again.

Ans, Did I not say the DTI to close down the trainining centre.

And its my opinion that------------------------------

You failed to mention that it was in 2-3 years and that it would be replaced, just in a different purpose built location.

Your post implied that the Island would no longer have a training facility for the construction industry and this was going to happen very soon.

Both incorrect statements.

What I agreed with was the statement that they were refurbishing it and relocating part of it.

They are both correct statements. The training centre will be refurbished and re-used for something else that hasn't been announced yet (wouldn't you like to know eh?) and the construction side of things will be relocated to the new building and ownership switched from the DTI to the DoE which is no bad thing.

I'm sure you'll strike lucky one of these days and get a whole post factually right, but I'm not sitting on the edge of my seat.

I think you are trying to make the shoes fit.

2/3 years, we shall see, I wonder what the staff think of 2/3years notice.

My statement was correct the DTI are to shut down the training centre, sorry Ans but losing is part of the game.

My statement was correct the DTI are to shut down the training centre

Well I guess you must be the kind of guy who's satisfied with your whole statement being only 25% correct.

I must admit, that's something of an improvement given the nonsense you're usually prone to expunging.

For those of you that want to know what the trade test is about.

Trade testing was set up some time ago, this is due to the fact that if you want to work on a Government contract, you had to be a registered contractor. There is many tradesmen that have lost their papers or have been trained by their fathers (grandfather rights) or have just been doing the job since leaving school. Those that have no papers to say that an apprenticeship had been completed, but could show evidence that they have worked at the trade for a long period of time, were then given the chance to show that they could do the job by way of a trades test. Those that passed the test were then granted registration.

"tradesmen that have lost their papers" :ph34r: how convenient!

In to what sort of depth do these tests go?

I'm fairly confident that I could quite happily and safely wire up a whole house and do all the plumbing as well, with no official training so can I become an electritian or plumber? Just by passing a few tests, and not worrying about a few year course?

Hey I've lost my papers, were do I go!?

You say 2/3 years, can you answer this.

Are the trade tests that are normally done at Hills Meadow now finished with.

How many of the staff have already been given their notice.

Is it not also true that the IOMEF are against the new training sceme that is to be run by the BOE, the new sceme will mean that apprentices will be taken off the sites and placed on a block booking.

Why have the Government/DTi been trying to keep this from the public.

As none of us know 100% I can't 'answer' anything. However, to give my opinion on some of the questions raised.

Trade tests I believe are still in existence and could easily be moved to a different location should the Government wish to do so. It may be better though to move to a system of on site assessment so that evidence could be gathered using normal working practices rather that a 'sterile' test environment. But you do seem to be missing the point that the College are already providing the apprenticeship training for most construction crafts (P&D, C&J, Plumbing etc) so there are no major changes there (and no new training scheme as you suggest).

Apprentices are already at College for a block and then for day release for the duration of their time. So what is the change there? If you are asking whether this is the right method then that's a different conversation. But in my opinion it should be changed.

As for the Employers Fed being unhappy, I don't know, you better ask them. Why are Government keeping it quiet? Again, you're asking the wrong person.

Staff being given their notice?? Again don't know, but my guess is it won't happen. I can't remember the Civil Service laying people off in the recent past. More likely is that they will move to College under the DoE or transfer elsewhere inside Civil Service.

As for the 2-3 year timeline, I think that's how long it may take for everything. But certain bits could be moved very quickly if that's what they wanted. We'll just have to wait and see..........

Archived