Indie/alternative/goth

Amadeus

I was thinking of that for quite a while now: some kind of regular night with Indie/Alternative, maybe even a bit of Goth music somewhere on the Island..

The reason I'm asking is, that I'm simply sick of all the lala-hipshops-onlyforthemoney chart music that is currently being played everywhere and remember going out and listening to things like Rage against the Machine, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Sisters of Mercy, Depeche Mode, etc, and something like that doesn't seem to be played at all over here..

Well, they played Nirvana in Breeze once, and as soon as you got into the good old tradition of Pogo Dance, the bouncers started eyeing you up <_< Ok, there were only two of us, but anyway..

Does anyone think that a night like that would attract an audience over here? I'm thinking along the lines of old Indie Rock (that's real music for you little kiddies, where the band actually wrote their songs themselves and were able to play an instrument), maybe even venturing into the dark side and playing some Goth tunes or EBM, etc - everything's possible and your opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Amadeus - For the record the Under The Floorboards night is more of an indie / punk / new wave night, wouldn't want you to be dissapointed if you came down expecting to hear Rage against the Machine / Nirvana / Sisters, but I'm afraid thats not really the kind of stuff we play, but recommend you come and have a listen as I'm not suggesting that the bands you listed are all you listen to.

I'm sure a nu metal / goth / grunge night would do really well judging by the style of most of the bands over here, why don't you hire some decks and sort one out, there was one a couple of years ago that seemed to be a real success, got to be worth a try :D

Next Under The Floorboards is this Saturday in the Rovers Basement with Fionn and me DJing and Escape Artists and Danny Christian playing live, free entry :)

well as opposed to TV themes tunes which aren't real music at all but ditties conjured up by the humming wizard.

There can be as many indie nights as you like but the clubs still exist. I'm with Scope bring back the Tardis. It would stop the outback playing "I think we're alone now" anyway. :lol:

I hate Indie/Rock/Alternative nights, and I very much hope that the Island will never again stoop to that level.

All the acts you mention are played to death over here. We have a thrieving local band scene and I would hate to see that compromised by an opportunist playing the same dull records week after week by mainstream dullards like Rage and the Sisters.

Guitar music has come so far on the Island in recent years why retreat to the dark ages of the Tardis.

why retreat to the dark ages of the Tardis.

Coz it was fun :D . I generally had a great time at the Tardis (didn't go like a religion but I liked it). Oh I love Rage against the machine, another strange taste from Mr Bee.

I really don't understand all the 'my music is better than your music' carry on. I like the diversity of the scene we have going on these days. One can choose what one wants to listen to and avoid the scally chavs :lol:

• 3 months later...

yes i have noticed the lack of culture on the island, and the 'goths' over here i have only seen about 2 real ones and the others are usually about 15 with chokers,pigtails and nike trainers hanging round outside homerun pizza on a friday night, being 'really cool' in the rain. they have that really sh*tty night down ramsey RAMSEY, with apparent alternate music, i didnt even stick around to see all the bands in tt as most of them were rubbish. if you want anything good you have to go across for it now, and the venues gone now so where are the big events going to be? toffs club of villa marina (seated only)?

An indie/goth/alternative venue would be great - I haven't been to a club in years cos they all play total xxxxx.

Every weekend it's the same, all the proper music fans end up going back to each others houses after the pub to carry on drinking - there's a big market out there and the people are of a better class than these scally dancey types :P

What is this night down Ramsey of which you speak Chloe?

Archived