Data Protection Legislation

Rog

A simple and innocent trio of questions, but ones that warrant an answer from the forum Administrators nonetheless. .

First Is this forum registered under the Data Protection Legislation?

Next Who is granted access to the E-Mail addresses of the contributors on this forum and why do they have such access granted to them?

Next What limitation is given to who has access to the E_Mail addresses of contributors on this forum and what measures are in place to ensure confidentiality?

(Me? I don’t give a stuff – Mine is Rogerprice64@aol.com as many folks know)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's the problem Rog? If you put it in a PM to me I will be happy to respond accordingly.

Cheers.

But I'm sure that everybody would be interested in the answers to these simple questions!

In any case, having now seen them if you would rather reply to me by PM than putting the answer up on the forum, then that's fine!

I always thought data had to be personally identifiable to fall under DPA regulations. As nobody is required to submit their identity to register or contribute, it doesn't apply. That's my understanding anyway.

This was one of the main flaws in vaders recent false allegation that a moderator was passing poster's identities to Government. We simply don't have the information to pass even if we wanted to. Any real life identites are known through means outside of the abilities of a moderator (ie being told by the person, someone else, whatever).

Interesting questions though as I don't know what the fact that you've posted your real name (in effect) in your original post means. Part of the DPA also insists that personal data you hold must be accurate and I'll be damned if I'm going to actually try and check that you are who you say you are :)

The server that this forum is run on is located in America too, I suspect this has a lot of bearing on the answers too. I think Observer knows more than anyone else on the admin team about this so I'd be as interested in the answers as anyone else.

It's been said before, but surely, if you have a problem - don't post.

"The inocent have nothing to fear"

Actually I wasn't aware of a post from Vader -- Maybe he could comment on why he raised the matter?

Why did you. Vader?

Actually I wasn't aware of a post from Vader -- Maybe he could comment on why he raised the matter?

There's a big thread called 'Ha Ha Ha' in the Q&A section that covers the bulk of it.

He raised it because someone else told him it was true. He did the right thing by approaching Unisol quietly about it and in turn it was discussed in private by mods where it was discovered that his information was incorrect. In the meantime, he decided to do the wrong thing by telling half the story in a public thread and refused to elaborate and accept that he was wrong.

Ans has raised some interesting points.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if those that administer the site have a duty of care towards protecting the identity of those who use their "real" e-mail addresses if you like, like myself. I was working for Special Branch when the DPA came into being (there had to be some exceptions) and one of the main points of it was that data that was electronically held had to be accurate. For example under the act I could write to the Chief Constable Manx Constabulary and DEMAND to check all electronic information they have on me for accuracy. It doesn't have to work the other way around so you can relax ans. :)

wouldnt the server fall into the data protection act of the country it resides in?

No

What actually governs which juristiction it falls under? The residency of the domain owner?

Archived