Data Protection Legislation

Rog

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As regards the ‘hidden’ information, this should be secure and so if an off shore server is being used then the security of that server should be assured, or the private data should be secured under strong encryption.  If nothing else that is good practice.

The server is in a secure location.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to where you're going with this Rog. If there's a hidden agenda, could you just come out and say it.

The forum is actually a data-fill on a  forum software load and comprises the posts and (presumably the version that you are using is normal) the details about the members in terms of E_Mail  addresses, IP addresses etc.

It's got a database, if that's what you mean?

Most public forums don’t bother with registration before gaining access to read posts and so they are in effect already in the public domain so no problem

As does this one, but you can register also to post, as do most forums.

As regards the ‘hidden’ information, this should be secure and so if an off shore server is being used then the security of that server should be assured, or the private data should be secured under strong encryption.  If nothing else that is good practice.

I really dont get what you're on about here. That personal data was sent to the server via an unencrypted channel. Are you saying it should be browsed encrypted? Stored in the database encrypted? The database files encrypted? I don't get you at all.

I've had dealings last year with Internet Law, particularly regarding forums, although the instance I was involved with was regarding libel not Data Protection.

The upshot is that the applicable law is where ever the server is located. In the case of ManxForums that seems to be Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. You'd need to see what state laws are in place regarding electronic data. If the moderators/owners then take a backup of the forums and store that backup locally (in IoM for example) then that becomes a different matter.

Generally with most forums you pretty much sign your rights to DP away the moment you create your account, hence why using a nickname and anonymous e-mail are considered best practice. Giving legitimate personal information to an internet forum is like spray painting your name, address and phone number on a bus shelter then asking the bus company to ensure they have sufficient data protection policies in place to stop people calling you. Ain't gonna happen.

Don't forget that an earlier version of this forum didn't have the option to hide email addresses properly so any harvesting programs or even non users would have been able to lift anybodies email address from the page.

There's a big thread called 'Ha Ha Ha'  in the Q&A section that covers the bulk of it.

He raised it because someone else told him it was true. He did the right thing by approaching Unisol quietly about it and in turn it was discussed in private by mods where it was discovered that his information was incorrect.

This must have happened over a weekend so I missed it. I have to say it isn't the "Ha ha ha" that gets me as it is no more annoying than other signatures. However the :D that followed it always seemed to me how a Chinaman might look masturbating.

So the accusation was that some user id information from here was being leaked to COMIN? No more preposterous than, say, David Icke making sense. And the upshot was that no moderator owned up to is so it must be untrue? You'll have to forgive me here as I missed it all.

Still, maybe under the DPA I will write to The Chief Constable after all. After the recent experience of ans' it can't hurt. And if they do have some of my details they can then explain where they came from.

So the accusation was that some user id information from here was being leaked to COMIN? No more preposterous than, say, David Icke making sense. And the upshot was that no moderator owned up to is so it must be untrue? You'll have to forgive me here as I missed it all.

That's a nice 'glass is half empty' bit of reasoning. It could simply be untrue?

Still, maybe under the DPA I will write to The Chief Constable after all. After the recent experience of ans' it can't hurt. And if they do have some of my details they can then explain where they came from.

The legislation has changed somewhat since it was originally introduced. It's now based on the european law. You might want to check your facts.

I don't understand the 'glass is half empty' bit. Apparently there are at least two threads with a lot of stuff on them that I'm not going to bother wading through. If my prognosis is wrong by all means put it right.

I was aware that the DPR had changed (these things always evolve to suit the current situation) but I do not know what the changes are. In any event, I haven't written to this particular CC yet so I think it's time I did. I'm sure he will reply as appropriate.

I don't understand the 'glass is half empty' bit. Apparently there are at least two threads with a lot of stuff on them that I'm not going to bother wading through. If my prognosis is wrong by all means put it right.

Can't be arsed :) I was just amused by the assumption that no mod owned up to it, rather than it just being bull in the first place.

I was aware that the DPR had changed (these things always evolve to suit the current situation) but I do not know what the changes are. In any event, I haven't written to this particular CC yet so I think it's time I did. I'm sure he will reply as appropriate.

You're going to put extra load on a public service just for fun like? Is that how you get your kicks?

I was administrator for a guy operating hosting for people (the free kind), and their servers got temporarily downed by the FBI for a phisher abusing it. He was dutch, so depending on where your box is located the relevant gov. wouldn't be scared to pull your plugs, but I also think you have to comply with the laws from which you personally are operating from/situated.

Can't be arsed :) I was just amused by the assumption that no mod owned up to it, rather than it just being bull in the first place.

Are you saying you don't understand my David Icke comparison? Well I'm surprised I must say.

You're going to put extra load on a public service just for fun like? Is that how you get your kicks?

Are you mad? There's no way I would ever detail how I get my kicks on a public forum! Dear me, the very idea....

Edited to add - Actually I will share one way I get my kicks on here. Every Wednesday night I go down my local pub with my friends and have a great time. Whoops! Is that the time? Byeeeee! :)

And the upshot was that no moderator owned up to is so it must be untrue?

The name that was supplied in private is not one of the moderators. That's repeated several times in the thread. For obvious reasons I'm not going to state the name that was put forward, but I have met every moderator of this site and know each of their real names and it is none of them.

And if they do have some of my details they can then explain where they came from.

You used to live here right? I'm sure they'll have some information about you. It's a straightforward form to fill in, just call the headquarters and ask to be put through to their very helpful vetting department.

The name that was supplied in private is not one of the moderators. That's repeated several times in the thread. For obvious reasons I'm not going to state the name that was put forward, but I have met every moderator of this site and know each of their real names and it is none of them.

I haven't bothered wading through the threads as I see no gain in it. However if some of my details are in places they shouldn't be then I will quite rightly want an explanation. Like yourself it is important to me that any information held on me is factually correct. Just because a name does not correlate to the mods it does not mean that details have not been passed on. I very much doubt if it has happened but even so it only costs me a single letter to make sure of my position.

You used to live here right? I'm sure they'll have some information about you. It's a straightforward form to fill in, just call the headquarters and ask to be put through to their very helpful vetting department.

I have been PV'd to Cabinet Level (strange but true and I'm not sure if I can state this). So yes I will absolutely be following this up.

BTW Mr Slim. in your haste to take a pop at me it seems you have missed what I said about that nice David Icke. Or maybe you are flummoxed by the word "preposterous". Oops, the word "flummoxed" means... I tell you what, look it up for yourself....

Archived