Traffic Nightmare

Tonto

I wonder if whoever decided to turn the traffic lights off at AnaghCoar could face corporate manslaughter charges if there's a fatal accident there shortly?

It is an accident waiting to happen and someone somewhere should be held accountable for it.

One of the busiest roads on the isle of man all day and you have to take your life in your hands whichever way you want to go - it is legalised russian roulette.

Remember - like the lottery - it could be you....

I saw someone walk up to the crossing at the lights on the New Castletown Road side and appeared to press the button to cross obviously unaware that the crossing was out of action. I also didn't notice any signs for pedestrians warning that the crossing was out of use.

As for the drivers using the junction :blink: 'Who dares wins' it would seem! :blink::blink:

Someone has now put small 2 signs up, one about 10 foot from the traffic lights saying children crossing and another one at the bottom of the hill saying the traffic lights are out of order.....phew what a relief for all concerned!

..."Tick off the boxes marked ' were sufficient warning signs in place prior to accident?' Mr Smithers.....

It's on a par with saying for 1 out of every 5 trips into Douglas Harbour we're going to blindfold the Captain of the Ben My Chree....

or

Young Nigel who's 7, has always fancied his chances of landing a plane at Ronaldsway, so hold onto your seats folks because today's his lucky day....

I think the problem is that a lot of drivers get confused when they are used to the traffic lights being there.

A lot of junctions seem to flow better when the lights are off, although you have to allow for the odd one who wants to pull out in front of you.

I know we already have a lot (too many?) roundabout, but that junction is one that I think would be better suited to one than the lights.

It's on a par with saying for 1 out of every 5 trips into Douglas Harbour we're going to blindfold the Captain of the Ben My Chree....

or

Young Nigel who's 7, has always fancied his chances of landing a plane at Ronaldsway, so hold onto your seats folks because today's his lucky day....

No offence, Tonto, but:

a: I'm pretty sure most Captains could bring the Ben into Douglas harbour blindfolded (I worked on the Ben - trust me..)

b: With the ILS switched on, a 7 year old can land a plane, no problem at all...

But to be serious: You're talking about one traffic light, on a junction that's pretty open and allows good views in all directions - I just can't see a problem here.. ever driven through Rome, Paris or Frankfurt City? That's a problem! But not one traffic light..

I'm more concerned about the little roundabout up the road - when you cross the bridge from Tesco's to the old Castletown road - totally blind corner, and I nearly shot a Porsche off the road there earlier - you just can't see'em coming from the right..

That junction did OK for 20 odd years before they introduced traffic lights. Whats the problem now? You have to look right, left then right again before you pull off from the junction?

Agreed. Like most of the recent additions to the traffic-light-farm that Douglas is becoming, the lights were only placed there to deal with the problems encountered by vehicles escaping from the Dandara rabbit warren behind Anagh Coar to go to work.

If the Vicarage Road widening scheme had been completed at the same time as the new estates were being built then there wouldn't have been a problem. Of course, that would have required foresight - something that is apparently forbidden by the planning department.

Apart from the busy periods when everyone is going to and from work, most of the traffic lights could safely be switched off.

That junction did OK for 20 odd years before they introduced traffic lights. Whats the problem now? You have to look right, left then right again before you pull off from the junction?

It would interesting to know how much traffic flow has increased in that time.

Unfortunately, as vehicle numbers have increased there has become a need for more traffic management, i.e. roundabouts, taffic lights, filter lanes, etc.

I prefer it without the lights. If it's clear, you can go.

Someone appeared to have had a shunt there yesterday though in a van around 6ish maybe. They'd kindly stopped right where it happened to see if they could cause other people to crash too presumably.

Then there was a car stopped in the middle of the road by the pedestrain crossing by westminster motors, and then to my incredulity what appear to be someone performing some sort of reversing maneuver across quarterbridge. It was one of those days when I wondered if driving licenses had perhaps been getting issued by Bubbles the chimp to those concerned....

I think even the blindest person would say that things have changed somewhat in the last 20 years. Puhleeze.

a: I'm pretty sure most Captains could bring the Ben into Douglas harbour blindfolded (I worked on the Ben - trust me..)

perhaps you should tell that to the captain of the sea cat yesterday?

Anyway, I'm happy. The lights are back on tonight. :D

Archived