Atari 1040STE

nathan wind

Bit of an odd one this, but I'll try it here before ebay. Boxed (box is tatty) Atari 1040 STE computer with all cables a mouse and a joystick. Comes with a load of blank disks and one or two proper games. I bought this for £90 last year on ebay to relive my childhood memories, but as always, I'm not finding the time to use it. I was about to ebay it but thought I'd try here first.

Yours for £50 to save me the hassle of ebay.

I will even throw in a Win XP laptop with a program on it that allows you to make your own floppy disk programs from disk images available online. I'm not condoning software piracy of course, even on something of this age, but it's an excellent way of making working disks from the vibrant ST demo scene, innit.

Based in Colby.

I'll fire it up later and check the TOS.

No idea about those two in particular, although game compatibility is extremely high as far as I know. Especially with the cracks available online, not that I'd condone such a thing of course. I never had a problem with anything I tried to run. There's a thread discussing it here -

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=14675

Edit - I think it's TOS 1.06 going off Desktop Info, although it doesn't explicitly tell you the version. Short of opening it up or running a system info program I don't have that would be my guess.

I used to work on Atari 1040s back in the day I used to be a Computer Techinician.

The Operating System is Very Similar in Nature to Microsoft Window to the extent that when Windows did come out, I was surprised that Atari did not make an issue out of it.

This Computer's Operating System is Very User Friendly similarly to Windows.

3X3

Done some research, seems STE's aren't very compatible with the sort of stuff I want to run. Bah.

The ST came out in 1985, but was preceded by the Mac and Amiga. Windows 1.0 was just sufficiently different in *look and feel* to barely cover the lawyers lunches.

Xerox had a Mouse/GUI running on a personal computer in 1973.

The Operating System is Very Similar in Nature to Microsoft Window to the extent that when Windows did come out, I was surprised that Atari did not make an issue out of it.

Actually, it was the other way around. The Atari TOS window manager was based on GEM, in fact Atari sent engineers into GEM to build the 6800 version of it. GEM was sued by Apple over the look and feel as it was an almost direct rip off of the original Mac os. Apple went on to sue Microsoft with similar look and feel suits.

Archived