Expat living

spook

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi - I'm a newbie.

I hope it's ok for me to join in? I'm not strictly speaking Manx, but my dad was and I spent all my holidays on the island, so consequently know the IOM way better than I know England, and feel more Manx than English.also, having researched my family tree back to 1695, I've found my Manxness goes back at least that far! My brother still lives over there, but my mum came back to England - and we live in Norfolk, that's what caught my attention about this thread.

It's really interesting to see some negative feelings about island life, because I have longed to live there for years. What stopped me initially was the fact that getting off the island is costly and inconvenient. Now of course, my mum came to Norfolk to be near me, so there's no question of me going over + my children & grandkids are here now too.

I found this forum by accident because I was just listening to Radio Norfolk and they mentioned a cafe in Norwich called The Golden Egg. My mind went straight to the one in Douglas, and then I recalled that it was the site of a murder - and indeed, Google very kindly confirmed that fact!

So, here I am!

Now, I watched Countryfile a couple of weeks ago, because they were on the island. Perhaps someone here can help me out with something that has puzzled me ever since? Of all the people they spoke to, I heard only one young lad with even a hint of a Manx accent. What's happend to it? Where has it gone? My family is all from Ramsey and Douglas - there were some VERY powerful Manx dialects amongst them - is it less prevalent now? Yessir

You won't hear much of a good manx accent now bey, us manxies are on the decline.

The place is full of escapees from the uk and immigrants from all over the shop.

Head to peel or the northern plain and you will still get a whisper or two, but the place is slowly turning into a English dumping ground with little or no signs of what it once was.

Hence the main reason why a fair few people are looking to move to be uk.

Roger,

Despite the influx of people taking up the room left by those who emigrated, the island is still governed in the main by Manx or long-term residents. Of course, I use the word governed in its loosest possible sense.

The Manx twang (as with other British accents) is being eroded with the younger generation probably due to the influence of TV, games and films.

I don't think that accents generally are a plus these days. Some make people sound downright gormless.

You won't hear much of a good manx accent now bey, us manxies are on the decline.

The place is full of escapees from the uk and immigrants from all over the shop.

Head to peel or the northern plain and you will still get a whisper or two, but the place is slowly turning into a English dumping ground with little or no signs of what it once was.

Hence the main reason why a fair few people are looking to move to be uk.

Oh, I think that's really sad. Not only will Manx disappear as a language, but even the accent will be gone.

Hi - I'm a newbie.

I hope it's ok for me to join in?

Firstly welcome to the forum, don't be put off by anything said on the forum, you really need to come to the IOM and see what its actually like for yourself, it's only then you'll know if it'll ever be the right or wrong choice for you.

Personally I can no longer afford to live on the IOM, I've effectively been priced out of the market, but if you've got a well paid job, some savings and enough to buy a house over here then you'll probably find the IOM cheaper to live than many parts of the UK. Steam packets fares (commonly known here as steam racket) are expensive but only if you take a car, a foot passenger return is cheap and many airlines are offering flights to main UK airports for around £50-£100 return

Bear in mind that the infrastructure is unraveling, and that there is a massive 'elephant in the dining room' that the government is not dealing with but that very soon will 'go into musth', the massively bloated public sector together with a pension lability that is unfunded let alone unaffordable.

Being able to afford a lifestyle that one likes is only part of what is important.

When roads are a mess, when members of the professions are leaving in order to get better futures for themselves, when government ministers haven't a clue about the areas that they are a pointed to manage and are being driven by incompetent civil servants, and so much more that is going wrong continued living on the Island suddenly looses it's attraction.

As for cost of living on the Island, we have found that it costs considerably more to live on the Island, choices are much fewer, and with few exceptions quality is lower.

I miss my homeland but when a thing becomes no longer viable it's time to up sticks.

I don't see the point in continually moaning about the island and gloating at any potential decline of the island.

Unless people are still voting here, leaving their money here or keeping property here, why haven't they turned their full attention to their new lives and settled down in their new off-island homes? Maybe join their local forum?

Because it's often difficult for people to keep track on a slow motion train smash and because real life living off Island is not always all that clear.

Having a break in the UK doesn't count for very much, living day in day out does and the day to day little things often don't come through they are quite important.

When I was a kid I'd been on trips to the UK both to visit and stay with relations and to attend a couple of shows and when it came time to go up to university I thought that I was clued up as to what to expect.

I was wrong.

living over here is very different and you have to do it to understand it. In many ways it's easier than living on the Island, in others it's not.

But it is a thing that IMO young people on the Island should at the very least try, actually it's a thing that they should do because the future on the Island is bleak.

There's no pleasure in writing that, but it's a thing that has to be faced and people on the Island pretending that it is other than bleak, or play the 'It'll be all right on the night' card are helping to one.

Archived