Expat living

spook

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To Spook - Okay, but how do you have the special insight, what right do you have to tell people they are making the wrong decision? You have made your choice, leave us to live with ours, good or bad.

The start of the thread was promising, an unbiased assessment of living elsewhere but it has now descended into the usual Manx crab in reverse.

With all due respect, you do come across as someone with something of a chip.

I do have a 'chip', a very big one, and it is totally related to the wasted opportunity that Bell had to sort out the mess that he walked into.

It would not have been easy, (metaphorical) blood would have flowed, but there was still time.

Just.

But he and the rest of the mostly numpties just sat back as if everything would be the same and worse yet ignored the Elephant.

I'm not telling anyone that they've made the 'wrong' decision, there is no absolute right or wrong decision, in both cases it depends on an individual, but I do remember as a young person the feeling that 'across' was somehow almost unattainable, and worse that the Island.

My point is that neither is true.

Of course people should and indeed must make their own choices but they should have the opportunities to take account of as many facts as they can in order to make their own choices.

The Island IS on a downward spiral. There are those who will be quite content to enjoy the ride, such is human nature, but some will not and those people deserve to see what alternatives there are and the pro's and con's associated with them.

Just as someone writing that across the water is a land of milk and honey and with streets paved with gold (FAR from reality!) so to read that it's OK, we're going to be OK, don't rock the boat is also a load of hogwash.

Different strokes for different folks, but at least let people see what strokes there are that they can choose from.

That's all very well, Spook, but it is not for you to push your opinion as fact and dictate to people who are perfectly capable of making their own minds up. Very condescending and a little too evangelical for my liking.

To Spook - Okay, but how do you have the special insight, what right do you have to tell people they are making the wrong decision? You have made your choice, leave us to live with ours, good or bad.

The start of the thread was promising, an unbiased assessment of living elsewhere but it has now descended into the usual Manx crab in reverse.

With all due respect, you do come across as someone with something of a chip.

I do have a 'chip', a very big one, and it is totally related to the wasted opportunity that Bell had to sort out the mess that he walked into.

It would not have been easy, (metaphorical) blood would have flowed, but there was still time.

Just.

But he and the rest of the mostly numpties just sat back as if everything would be the same and worse yet ignored the Elephant.

I'm not telling anyone that they've made the 'wrong' decision, there is no absolute right or wrong decision, in both cases it depends on an individual, but I do remember as a young person the feeling that 'across' was somehow almost unattainable, and worse that the Island.

My point is that neither is true.

Of course people should and indeed must make their own choices but they should have the opportunities to take account of as many facts as they can in order to make their own choices.

The Island IS on a downward spiral. There are those who will be quite content to enjoy the ride, such is human nature, but some will not and those people deserve to see what alternatives there are and the pro's and con's associated with them.

Just as someone writing that across the water is a land of milk and honey and with streets paved with gold (FAR from reality!) so to read that it's OK, we're going to be OK, don't rock the boat is also a load of hogwash.

Different strokes for different folks, but at least let people see what strokes there are that they can choose from.

That's all very well, Spook, but it is not for you to push your opinion as fact and dictate to people who are perfectly capable of making their own minds up. Very condescending and a little too evangelical for my liking.

Gladys, what the Island is facing today is not a matter of opinion it IS a matter of fact.

The FS game is over, online gambling IS being undermined by legislation being introduced by an increasing number of states, especially the US, infrastructure services ARE in decline, and the national current account IS out of kilter.

It is wrong that nowhere are these FACTS being openly discussed in spite of all of the evidence being available if people dig into published data, especially using the Treasury Red and Blue books and following trends.

This started as what was in effect a open letter from someone who had moved in order for people, especially young people who had read the writing on the wall and might have welcomed a warts and all description.

Unfortunately it soon changed as a result of probably deliberate misinterpretation and it became a defence of the Island when there was no attack on the Island.

A statement of facts in a cold clinical manner is not an attack except maybe in the view of some who don't like the facts being spelled out.

And facts they have been. Not opinion, facts.

People have been finding their way off the island for years. They obviously had their reasons. Some people have found it worked for them, others not.

You seem to trying to play the role of some Pied Piper, hoping to attract everyone to follow you.

It honestly doesn't appear as though it has worked for you and that's a shame. Constantly looking back isn't a good recipe for one's future.

I am also not sure that I understand Spook's motivation for leaving the island.

He has a UK property portfolio which provides him with an income so implies he is pretty insulated from any detrimental actions on the state pension.

He has referred to the quality of healthcare here, is his health such a concern? Couldn't he afford to have treatment privately in the UK if he has real concerns?

He comments on opportunity for young people here. Surely, that is not a direct concern for him?

All in all, I get the feeling it is more to do with pique, from whatever cause, coupled with a worship of mammon that is proving not to have led him to the right decision in reality.

Whatever, I do feel that he is regretting what he thought was a master stroke decision and sympathise, but would be more supportive if he came clean and stopped trying to justify what is possibly turning out to be an ill-thought out plan.

He made his decision now should live with it rather than berating the rest of us who have made a different choice, but one we are very happy with.

>I am also not sure that I understand Spook's motivation for leaving the island.

Try a bit of lateral thinking...

Maybe it was Mrs Spook's idea to leave.

And that property portfolio will be halved (and more) once the divorce lawyers get their sticky little fingers into them.

To counter, begrudgingly, Spook has to supervene (?)

Oh it's all becoming much clearer now.

Bad luck old chap.

TBT.

People have been finding their way off the island for years. They obviously had their reasons. Some people have found it worked for them, others not.

You seem to trying to play the role of some Pied Piper, hoping to attract everyone to follow you.

It honestly doesn't appear as though it has worked for you and that's a shame. Constantly looking back isn't a good recipe for one's future.

In fact I've spent most of my working life off Island. It worked exceptionally well for me but I do remember how the stretch of water between the Island and the Mainland formed a physical barrier but also an emotional barrier and simply hope that as the standard of living on the Island falls at least some young people will feel more able knowing that there is life after the ferry docks.

In fact for me the move that we have made is proving very good indeed but then I'm retired and have a nice house to live in, so don't run away with idea that I'm pining for the Island, I really am not.

Although I do miss my homeland I have come to realise that what I miss is not just the Island, it is the Island as it was and the times that I now realise are long gone. What remains though attractive in many ways overall is quite vile.

Instead it really is simple. For anyone thinking about becoming a ship leaving what is now a sinking rat - if it's what you want then go for it.

This thread has surely turned into something I don't think I was expecting, spook was just letting us know how life was for a person who has moved off the island and the differences he found comparing the two.

Now the messages seems to have been lost in the sniping, Christ move on the guy has taken the step to move and finds it suits him.

How can you say he is running away when really he has just moved on and looking to a new future.

I can see some of you need to be so defencive of a place that does little for you, none of us know what way the island is going to go but I suspect the visit to the doctors will be like private dentistry is now, you have to pay to see a Doctor etc.

Personally I enjoyed spooks tales of life over there, I just think the message seems to have been lost in the sniping huh.png

I often ponder how life would have turned out had I never returned to the Isle of Man after graduating, or even now getting on the boat and never coming back. But what is in the UK? I don't know anyone. I imagine it would be difficult to find work and accommodation at the same time. There is so much more competition for jobs there - tens of millions of people, and certain regions having very high levels of youth unemployment. Going to somewhere like Norfolk, Cornwall, Cumbria, or Scotland, is relatively easy for people who are comfortably retired or financially independent, or already have a lot of experience and qualification behind their belt, but what about the job opportunities for young people? Most of the young people I know in the UK have moved to London for work. I don't think there's much outside of London for young people.

Tomorrow night we're going to see Paul Simon and Sting in Manc. It's the kind of thing we enjoy doing. Coming up is our third gig with Reginald D Hunter - sheer quality.

We'll never be going back because it's very parochial, comms are crap, time consuming and expensive, the quality of life parameters are very narrow, the government are absolutely shite and the winters are even worse. Plus there's no cricket. Try a Roses 20-20 for a top evening out on the piss. You won't be disappointed.

Amen...

There's far more to the world than the UK.

True, but there's not much more to the world than the Isle of Man. I've lived elsewhere and wasn't impressed. The Isle of Man, despite all its problems, is still the greatest place on earth.

Archived