Expat living

spook

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tomorrow night we're going to see Paul Simon and Sting in Manc. It's the kind of thing we enjoy doing. Coming up is our third gig with Reginald D Hunter - sheer quality.

We'll never be going back because it's very parochial, comms are crap, time consuming and expensive, the quality of life parameters are very narrow, the government are absolutely shite and the winters are even worse. Plus there's no cricket. Try a Roses 20-20 for a top evening out on the piss. You won't be disappointed.

Amen...

Completely understand and support your position, you are truthful about what you prefer and do not imply that those of us who like it here are moronic dicks!

Enjoy Sting and Paul Simon, that has to be the most awesomest concert yet! Can't comment on cricket though! ;)

We only ever hear about the negatives of living in the UK and I guess if the isle of man is where you want to be then happy days.

I just think you have to go out and make things happen nobody is going to change your life for you, if you want something bad enough you will get it.

The other day I was chatting to someone who is heading back to Ireland to live, apparently the place has picked up a lot and jobs are starting to be created.

I went to school with a few lads who moved to the UK for work and they have really loved the move and the opportunity its gave them.

I like to look at the positive's in life, and I just find they are being out weighed by the negatives now over here.

Fair comment RS, I know a few people who have gone back to Ireland, the place does seem to have picked up but there but friends who live in rural Cork have been burgled a couple of times and there is , it's claimed, an increase in rural crime generally.

I lived in central London and loved it initially despite the problems, again getting things stolen was common, later the parking restrictions and the general attitude of all forms of government in "creating revenue streams " got a tad tedious.

There are undoubtedly many beautiful places to live in all of the UK , however folk do have concerns about the perceived levels of anti social behaviour /crime.

I can understand some seeing better prospects elsewhere and if so take the view that they should "go for it", no point it sitting in your rocking chair in your dotage saying "I should have/regret not doing/buying/trying etc.

I too look for the positives in life and being nearer the end than the beginning am enjoying my time on the island, wanted to live here since 1954 , now been here since 2000 and content.

I'm not saying everything on the island is rosy there are many problems and there could be tough times ahead but I won't be leaving.smile.png

IMO (I could be wrong) one way of determining crime levels is to look at house insurance. I pay £135 with £65k possessions & £250k rebuild cost and all the usual extras, insured with AXA online.

Similarly car insurance - when I spoke with them on the 'phone they said that this neck of the woods is a low as it gets.

I often ponder how life would have turned out had I never returned to the Isle of Man after graduating, or even now getting on the boat and never coming back. But what is in the UK? I don't know anyone. I imagine it would be difficult to find work and accommodation at the same time. There is so much more competition for jobs there - tens of millions of people, and certain regions having very high levels of youth unemployment. Going to somewhere like Norfolk, Cornwall, Cumbria, or Scotland, is relatively easy for people who are comfortably retired or financially independent, or already have a lot of experience and qualification behind their belt, but what about the job opportunities for young people? Most of the young people I know in the UK have moved to London for work. I don't think there's much outside of London for young people.

what did you graduate in young person?

It's a shame, though hardly surprising, that much of this has degenerated into a defence of the Island and ignoring the changes that are now well underway and are being either ignored or denied.

But that aside, moving off the Island is never easy. It's one reason that for many Manx people in the past they didn't stop in the UK but having broken the bonds then travelled all over the world. It has resulted in Manx Societies springing up all over the world.

Moving off the Island and what is involved obviously differs widely depending on individual circumstances.

If someone has family who can provide initial accommodation it is very much easier because the absolute first priority is to have a 'roof over your head'.

If not the GET a roof arranged BEFORE you set foot on the boat.

There are a number of ways to do this, tranching on line newspapers can work but is unlikely to, probably best to use a website such as http://www.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare/?search_id=217709922& but there are others. In addition expect to pay in advance, especially from the Island, and also be prepared to be disappointed but at least having your feet on the ground you'll be better positioned to find somewhere else. Weekly rents are between - well look at the site and see for yourself.

Work next. It's a cliché, but be prepared to start from the bottom and work up. You'll find that you'll get a job from a job far easier than from being unemployed. In addition be prepared to take a second job. Maybe working in a pub or some such. Not only increases your income but also increases your network from where to find other opportunities.

You'll be a target. There are decent people around but when starting off you'll find some but not many.

And avoid church groups.

No, really.

All sorts of ne'er do wells hang around them looking for the unwary and vulnerable. It's a terrible indictment of life today but sadly it's a thing to be aware of.

I'm going to leave it here, I would like it if anyone wants me to continue to witter on about how I see things over here today.

Completely understand and support your position, you are truthful about what you prefer and do not imply that those of us who like it here are moronic dicks!

Enjoy Sting and Paul Simon, that has to be the most awesomest concert yet! Can't comment on cricket though! wink.png

[swoon] Horses for Courses. Whatever rocks your boat....

Just more music icons topping up the pension fund - there's a lot of it about. Paul Simon should be good. Not so sure about Sting though. The S & G harmonisation was always superb. I guess we'll find out. Even though we're less than 30 mins away we always book a hotel, go out for a decent meal, go shopping for shoes and handbags (one of us anyway) etc etc and basically just add to the experience.

Spook is right about one thing though. The pension liability is only headed in one direction and it aint downwards....

IMO (I could be wrong) one way of determining crime levels is to look at house insurance. I pay £135 with £65k possessions & £250k rebuild cost and all the usual extras, insured with AXA online.

Similarly car insurance - when I spoke with them on the 'phone they said that this neck of the woods is a low as it gets.

I suspect that the IOM is similar for house insurance.

We're paying £265 this year that includes listed personal belongings at £80,000 no single item over £4000 and a rebuilding cover of £1250000.

The XF comes in at £260 with protected no claims fully comp me and 'er only drivers.

Archived