Expat living

spook

I bought houses in England rather than invest in a pension as I already had a good 'works' pension in place.

The Island property market was and remains (excuse the pun) 'built on sand'.

The rents now far exceed the amount that I would be drawing if I had gone down the conventional pension track. Other than marrying Mrs. Spook it was one of the best decisions that I ever made.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh dear I find myself agreeing with Spooky ( had to happen ...law of averagesbiggrin.png ) I was fortunate in buying property in central London rather than "investing" ........... bit of luck really.

Property prices on the island may well go down but I'm not too bothered I wouldn't want to live anywhere else ...........so another bit of luck for mesmile.png

Arent you lucky your not starting out trying to get on the ladder ?

I was chatting to a person in their 20's the other day and they are stuck in the whole rent trap, cannot afford to save for a deposit, I told him to think about moving to the UK as an option to be able to buy, young guy with a family I actually felt really sorry for him.

At least in the UK the prices are still in reach for those who want to buy

Roger,

Try buying a house in Cornwall - not easy, but at least there are quite a few shared equity schemes. Small terraced seafront places in Mousehole going for £475k.

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/36034650?search_identifier=49bb6fc23260ce3f5850299538e002da#gdpfS8cV3f2KPyAF.97

efa54941c72000e19341eecf075535f787f54cc2

Lovely little spot there matey, cornwall I guess is now filling up with bankers holiday homes and rich millionaires.

I can see the attraction, its scenery is lovely, even better than the isle of scam and the locals are really friendly like it was here before the miserable scrots moved over.

If I won the lotto I would think about down there, but newquay is a bit tatty.

I think there are some really nice places in the UK and still bargains to be had.

Sounds really nice, I have always fancied it down there, dorset is nice too, loads to see and do and great scrumpy too thumbsup.gif

Coastal property is expensive but I kind of like the countryside more as its like going back in time.

Bloody hell your in worzel country there, I guess its a nice dilemma to have but must be busy in the summer roads full of caravans

Bloody hell your in worzel country there, I guess its a nice dilemma to have but must be busy in the summer roads full of caravans

Not quite - I'm in a nice place with easy access to the main roads but also secluded. Very lucky to find a house here.

https://www.google.com/maps?q=Helford+Passage+-+Helford+Village&ll=50.104974,-5.127976&spn=0.001399,0.003557&sll=50.090568,-5.1570035&sspn=0.0500574,0.1040321&t=h&hnear=Helford+Passage+-+Helford+Village,+Falmouth+TR11+5LB,+United+Kingdom&z=19

Not quite - I'm in a nice place with easy access to the main roads but also secluded. Very lucky to find a house here.

https://www.google.com/maps?q=Helford+Passage+-+Helford+Village&ll=50.104974,-5.127976&spn=0.001399,0.003557&sll=50.090568,-5.1570035&sspn=0.0500574,0.1040321&t=h&hnear=Helford+Passage+-+Helford+Village,+Falmouth+TR11+5LB,+United+Kingdom&z=19

Very nice down there. Good for you. If I moved it would have to be somewhere off the beaten track. That's revolutionary from someone who never dreamed he would consider leaving the Island. Now I'm not so sure. Still be a hell of a wrench though.

Lovely spot there matey, I have seen a few of them little places on my travels down there, really chilled out and lots of pasties and scones, jam and cream w00t.gif

when I have been down there I just enjoyed going of the beaten tack and finding little places to mooch about.

I know what you mean woolley about considering it, me and the other half have been thinking about the move a lot in the past few years, I think when you get to see a fair bit of the uk it sort of makes you realise that there are some places that knock spots of the island.

If this place made an effort to turn it into a weekend destination then I reckon it would do well, but sadly most of the accommodation is now ghetto's housing the less fortunate.

Archived