Expat living

spook

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

had to laugh at a chap on telly tonight, about expats living on the costas, he said he had come from London but he'd not go back as there was more of a British community in Spain now than there was in London laugh.png

He's more than right. Especially in the East The place is tribal with no go areas. You get jeered at and even have things thrown at you down Commercial Road and Bethnal Green. It's worse than a Cairo slum (and yes, I do know) and stinks because of all the filth.

had to laugh at a chap on telly tonight, about expats living on the costas, he said he had come from London but he'd not go back as there was more of a British community in Spain now than there was in London laugh.png

He's more than right. Especially in the East The place is tribal with no go areas. You get jeered at and even have things thrown at you down Commercial Road and Bethnal Green. It's worse than a Cairo slum (and yes, I do know) and stinks because of all the filth.

Parts of Oldham are the same. You will be told openly that you are not welcome. The demarcation line is a main road and on the other side of it 99% are white. Scene of the riots a few years ago and remains simmering but ignored by the liberal media.

Of course, they all get together and celebrate their diversity every day.

Some parts of south West France is pretty British too. Riberac and Bergerac are known as either Little London or Little England.

Some people living there for years and never managing to learn French at all beyond odd bits on a menu. Incredible and sad.

I remember going on a motoring event to France years ago. Lots of French and British were there. In the bar at the rural chateau that hosted the event, some 'English Brits' were grumbling because the waiters were French and didn't speak English and that's what's wrong with the French, they're ignorant'. You couldn't make it up.

I remember going on a motoring event to France years ago. Lots of French and British were there. In the bar at the rural chateau that hosted the event, some 'English Brits' were grumbling because the waiters were French and didn't speak English and that's what's wrong with the French, they're ignorant'. You couldn't make it up.

Can't understand why they can't learn English , I have a grandchild who is only 3 but he speaks enough to make himself understood........speaking the local language is a step on the slippery slope to "going native".........I've found that provided you speak slowly and loudly one can normally be understood by "Johnnie Foreigner"smile.png

There's two classes of immigrants. Those who come for what they can steal, borrow, beg, scrounge, exploit or predate, and those who come to integrate and be productive members of the host nation.

When it comes to the sun traps older expats mostly from a sub category of the first and just want what the place they go to has to offer.

Third world immigrants to the UK as well as immigrants from the states that have recently gained a session to the EU fall into the second.

Illegal immigrants and asylum seekers are burglars.

Quite apart from not claiming asylum in the first safe country that they enter or apply to enter, and that is the whole of the EU to illegally enter the UK is exactly the same as a burglar who illegally enters a home and proceeded to help themselves to whatever the can get their thieving hands upon.

Worse yet are criminals who enter the UK illegally or by making false declaration and have criminal records and a proclivity to criminality that they very soon engage in once here.

Or the filth who engage in treasonable activity within the (mostly) Islamic colonies that have become established. Colonies wherein totally alien values apply, one horrid example being the abuse of mostly white kids.

And still people wonder why UKIP is so popular?

Can't understand why they can't learn English , I have a grandchild who is only 3 but he speaks enough to make himself understood........speaking the local language is a step on the slippery slope to "going native".........I've found that provided you speak slowly and loudly one can normally be understood by "Johnnie Foreigner":)

I've spent a lot of time working overseas and find that I can't help but pick up the host nation language.

OK the grammar can be a bummer but common verbs and nouns very soon become second nature. It's almost as if what's taking place is that one's vocabulary is growing.

Once you start to dreaming the language, usually within a month, it's all downhill!

Mind you, one can make the most awful faux par fro time time such as when I asked a middle aged woman at the check out of a small supermarket if she had a plastic carrier bag but actually asked her if she had a plastic backside!

And there, my lord, the case for the defense rested!

I remember a waitress in a Venice restaurant looking totally befuddled when asked to be shown to the bathroom by an American customer.

Another happy moment was spotting some Shite wine on a menu in a little Greek village taverna's attempt at an English menu.

My late father in law visited a french correspondent who lived in a small village . the cottages were on four sides of a smallish field/allotment which was a couple of feet below the level of the road. Unable to determine where his correspondent lived he peered over the wall to see a lady of ample proportions wearing a loose fitting shift dress, bending over to gather some large ripe strawberries.

He opened the conversation when she looked up by saying Bon jour Madam and (referring to the strawberries) said "Cette enorme" (?) but then he could not for the life of him remember the french for strawberries..................... she was not impressed!laugh.png

Nice story paswt. It reminds me of a time when, at about 20 years old, I was walking along the road with my mother to help her carry some shopping home and I spied dumped in the road ahead of us an old wooden cabinet with what could only be described as extremely pronounced Queen Anne legs. For some reason I looked at this specimen and remarked loudly, "Christ, look at the legs on that!" Only at that point did I glance to the side of it to see, chance in a million, an old woman with very similar shaped legs - couldn't stop a pig in a passageway type - giving me the filthiest of black looks, as if to say "How dare you? State of the young today." etc. I was totally mortified, but I could hardly go up to her and try to explain that I didn't mean her bandy legs could I? She stood with evil eye fixed and watched us out of sight. It was a very long straight road too, my shamefaced mum chivvying me along to get away. But oh how we laughed about it later. The old lady probably didn't live much longer. Now mum's gone too and I'm the only one alive to tell the tale, but it still makes me chuckle and feel bad in equal measure.

Archived