Utopia. Should we look for it?

ScotsAlan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much agree with most comments so far.

The only caveat I'll add is that our human journey is discovering where our limitations are taking us.

The result has quite definitely been an improvement of our human condition. That improvement is precious, fragile etc. But it is real and is down to us rationally understanding our place in this world.

Our irrationality often swamps it, plus rationality is plagued with contradictions*, but don't knock it too much, to a certain extent it works.

* See The voting paradoxes of Condorcet and Arrow, the Prisoner’s Dilemma and Amartya Sen’s Liberal Paradox for examples!

We have done well considering our limitations. We are at the mercy of the forces of nature and we will be for as long as our kind walk the planet. All of our achievements and machinations can be wiped away with a swish of Mother Nature's tail at any time.

As far as I am concerned I live in Utopia, happy with how my life is and very content, if it stays the way it is till I die then I can't complain

Good for you. I am similar, but I can see dark clouds on the horizon.............................

As far as I am concerned I live in Utopia, happy with how my life is and very content, if it stays the way it is till I die then I can't complain

Good for you. I am similar, but I can see dark clouds on the horizon.............................

Well that makes 3 of "US"biggrin.png ,if I go tomorrow I've no complaints , but it's not part of my "plan".

Woolley, as someone told me when I first came to live here ......'looks like rain , give it an hour', 'there is always a good bit in every day on the island'

I've reached an time where I realise that one has to choose one's battles carefully and I don't want to fight anymore, I just want people to leave me alone ( with the caveat that I may change my mind).laugh.png

World utopia is a myth. I don't believe it can ever exist. Not just humans but all forms of life are constantly engaged in battles concerning territory, food supply, mates and control. Bit like an aggravated form of natural selection.

What would you want from your own personal utopia? I have a pretty nice time doing what I'm doing. A simple soul with modest pleasures.

World utopia is a myth. I don't believe it can ever exist. Not just humans but all forms of life are constantly engaged in battles concerning territory, food supply, mates and control. Bit like an aggravated form of natural selection.

What would you want from your own personal utopia? I have a pretty nice time doing what I'm doing. A simple soul with modest pleasures.

On a global scale, I would start with stopping bombings...

Archived