Utopia. Should we look for it?

ScotsAlan

paswt, did you know Dr Paisley personally?

No I don't and I have not offered an opinion on the man

I note that you have offered an opinion claiming to know the man .................and have offered an opinion on Adams and McGuiness based on what you "know of" them.

From what I know "of them" none of them are people I would warm to which is hardly surprising having been at Euston station when the IRA (?) exploded a bomb in the cafe on the concourse .

I was seeing my wife and 2 children onto train to go back to her mothers in Bolton and was instructed by station staff off the train ,so with a child under each arm and carrying 2 suitcases I ran out of the station and about 30 seconds later the bomb exploded. A great friend of mine worked in BHS in Belfast and witnessed "the troubles" first hand"

It just amuses me that politicians tell us that terrorism will achieve nothing which is a nonsense when former terrorists end up winning being portrayed as statesmen to be admired .

As I've said before by their fruits ye shall know them .

I am open to opinions but I don't take kindly to be told what to think by anyone

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Certainly terrorism by the IRA and other republican groups achieved a very great deal thanks to Blair. I got to know Dr Paisley at first by spending time together in the British Midland Diamond Club lounge on a goid many occassiins while i was assigned to work in Belfast for the best part if a year in 1992 and later by attending meetings out of curiosity more than anything, and the less public 'get togethers' soon afterwards.

He held rabid anti Vatican views, views that I resonate with, but when it came to individuals of both sides of The Divide he proved to be a good friend to individual people in genuine need nomatter which foot they kicked with.

There is absolutely no way that the same could EVER be said about Mcguinness and Adams.

I note that you have offered an opinion claiming to know the man .................and have offered an opinion on Adams and McGuiness based on what you "know of" them.

From what I know "of them" none of them are people I would warm to which is hardly surprising having been at Euston station when the IRA (?) exploded a bomb in the cafe on the concourse .

I was seeing my wife and 2 children onto train to go back to her mothers in Bolton and was instructed by station staff off the train ,so with a child under each arm and carrying 2 suitcases I ran out of the station and about 30 seconds later the bomb exploded. A great friend of mine worked in BHS in Belfast and witnessed "the troubles" first hand"

It just amuses me that politicians tell us that terrorism will achieve nothing which is a nonsense when former terrorists end up winning being portrayed as statesmen to be admired .

I am open to opinions but I don't take kindly to be told what to think by anyone

Do you have a link to the Euston bombing? I can't find it on my limited internet. I can sort of remember.... 1982?

But yeah, I agree, for me to describe former terrorists as statesmen is repulsive. Because for every terorist attack there are innocent vivtims.

Disgusting people, of course.

But the peace process has worked. Largely thanks to the former terorists surviving to middle age.

Do you have a link to the Euston bombing? I can't find it on my limited internet. I can sort of remember.... 1982?

But yeah, I agree, for me to describe former terrorists as statesmen is repulsive. Because for every terorist attack there are innocent vivtims.

But the peace process has worked. Largely thanks to the former terorists surviving to middle age.

Can't remember the exact date but both of my kids were toddlers , the oldest is now 43 , if I had been a few seconds later I would have been caught in the blast as I was instructed to take the most direct route which took me within a couple of feet of the cafe where the bomb had been placed , if memory serves there was at least 1 death.

What really pissed me off was the BBC report that said the station and concourse was cleared "without panic "...................my arse .....the concouse area was littered with shoes, handbags and luggage but was virtually empty as I was unaware of the alert and was on the train settling in my family when told to get out.

I would have cheerfully "capped" those responsible at the time , they tried to kill me and my family, and if the IRA formally 'accepted responsibility then they should pay for their crimes, so to portray these murdering lowlife as statesmen is cobblers. The 'other side was just as bad.

I remember an american tourist (of Irish extraction), after 9/11, saying to me "You don't know what it's like to be under the threat of terrorist attack ", He said he contributed to Noraid in the States .........I put him straight ......big time.

To say that anyone involved in what they referred to the war on terrorism was really a nice chap is, imo , a bit like saying "Say what you like about Adolf he was good to his dog.

Rant over ....time for a beersmile.png

Can't remember the exact date but both of my kids were toddlers , the oldest is now 43 , if I had been a few seconds earlier I would have been caught in the blast as I was instructed to take the most direct route which took me within a couple of feet of the cafe where the bomb had been placed , if memory serves there was at least 1 death.

What really pissed me off was the BBC report that said the station and concourse was cleared "without panic "...................my arse .....the concouse area was littered with shoes, handbags and luggage but was virtually empty as I was unaware of the alert and was on the train settling in my family when told to get out.

I would have cheerfully "capped" those responsible at the time , they tried to kill me and my family, and if the IRA formally 'accepted responsibility then they should pay for their crimes, so to portray these murdering lowlife as statesmen is cobblers. The 'other side was just as bad.

I remember an american tourist (of Irish extraction), after 9/11, saying to me "You don't know what it's like to be under the threat of terrorist attack ", He said he contributed to Noraid in the States .........I put him straight ......big time.

To say that anyone involved in what they referred to the war on terrorism was really a nice chap is, imo , a bit like saying "Say what you like about Adolf he was good to his dog.

Rant over ....time for a beersmile.png

I looked for a link to Euston being bombed, but I cant find one.

But yeah, I was in New York for New year in 2001. And I was in a bar on 10th avenue and got talking to a guy with a tam o shanter cap and clover badges. His great grand daady was Irish, and altough he had never actually visited Ireland he sent every spare penny he had to "the cause".

The conversation that followed did not go well :-(

In my experience ( in the 60's,70's,80's) the supporters of "the cause" among the Irish community in London ("county Kilburn , Holloway, where I lived ) were definitely in the minority .

True , "the boys" with their black berets gloves etc did rattle the buckets in the "Didley didley pubs (with irish music where one would have expected support ) but folk weren't breaking their necks to contribute and they did on occasions get a bit of stick.

And a new bunch of activists are flexing their muscles. It is well said that once anyone answers the Iris question they change the question.

Yup Spook.

A bunch of nutters.

The real question about ISIS of course if how they they come about? What mechanisim allowed their creation? That's the first question. Agree ?

But what he did has no connection with his religion, in fact the precise opposite, unlike ISIS where what they do is founded on their religion and indeed demanded by it..

He published a manifesto. Are you blind to facts ?

But what he did has no connection with his religion, in fact the precise opposite, unlike ISIS where what they do is founded on their religion and indeed demanded by it..

Yo, Alan, you know you're being disingenuous and only thinking you can get away with it because you're talking to spook!

Mainstream Islam has a problem with extremism and violence. In a recent BBC poll of British Muslims about 1/3 weren't sure if violence was OK against those who insulted Islam. If you took a similar poll of Christians the results would be very different.

As far as Breivik goes, he was working alone. There was no large and powerful support network backing up his violent acts. No fanatical army, ranks full of believers from diverse countries who have traveled great distances to join the fight, intent on creating a Christian state and killing all who oppose them.

The comparison is ludicrous and I'm sure those who make it know that, but it suits their outlook.

Yo, Alan, you know you're being disingenuous and only thinking you can get away with it because you're talking to spook!

Mainstream Islam has a problem with extremism and violence. In a recent BBC poll of British Muslims about 1/3 weren't sure if violence was OK against those who insulted Islam. If you took a similar poll of Christians the results would be very different.

As far as Breivik goes, he was working alone. There was no large and powerful support network backing up his violent acts. No fanatical army, ranks full of believers from diverse countries who have traveled great distances to join the fight, intent on creating a Christian state and killing all who oppose them.

The comparison is ludicrous and I'm sure those who make it know that, but it suits their outlook.

I agree that Brevik was working alone. The press tried to make connections, but that was dropped. Because there was no connections.

But with ISIS the connection is automatic. Even if they are not connected. ISIS will claim the blame.

Because they want a full on religious war. We should not give it to them.

If a nation declares war on other nations apart from anything else it would be bad manners not to respond in kind.

This nation declared war on us 1300 years ago. They were fought back at Vienna, they have stated up again. Like I say, bad manners not to reply, at least now we have colonies of them close to hand.

Archived