Bibi who?

spook

In what is considered to be a surprise result Netanyahu has been elected by the silent Israeli voters.

Congratulations have been sent in line with protocol from the nation's expected to do so with one exception.

The USA where there has been not a squeak from Obama or Kerry, only from a White House aid who has sent congratulations on a successful election to tye Israel people, not to Bibi.

What a truly horrible Administration Obama has brought to a once proud and decent nation (other than some of its foreign policies!)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obama is too busy groveling to his boss, King Salman of Saudi Arabia.

He also has to appease Jewish business interests and its powerful influence in the US, so what goes on behind the scenes is anyone's guess. The White House describes his election triumph as ''devisive rhetoric'' amongst Israeli's but it convey's a certain conviction that there should be no Palestinian state because his statement about vetoing it swung it for him.

At Israel'sheart, it's all about being able to live freely, in security.

Democracy in action, however you look at it....

And of course the only state bearing any resemblance to an open society in the area.

Which offers a great deal of employment to a large number of Arab families in an otherwise impoverished, and at times un-civilised society.

If a 'Palestinian' state were to be recognised then within a matter of hours treaties would be established with neighbouring countries and the so called Palestinians would launch terrorist attacks against Israel. Israel would have to respond and the treaties would be triggered in the same way that treaties were triggered after the assassination of the Grand Duke Ferdinand that saw the start of WW 1.

If a 'Palestinian' state were to be recognised then within a matter of hours treaties would be established with neighbouring countries and the so called Palestinians would launch terrorist attacks against Israel. Israel would have to respond and the treaties would be triggered in the same way that treaties were triggered after the assassination of the Grand Duke Ferdinand that saw the start of WW 1.

Minus the chivalry.

The peace treaties with Egypt and Jordan have been long lasting and involved security cooperation.

If Bibi is ruling out a two state solution what is his alternative?

The status quo just breeds extremism on both sides. Islamic extremism is a real evil in the world, but Jewish Zealotry is also a real danger. Neither are capable of compromise.

The peace treaties with Egypt and Jordan have been long lasting and involved security cooperation.

If Bibi is ruling out a two state solution what is his alternative?

The status quo just breeds extremism on both sides. Islamic extremism is a real evil in the world, but Jewish Zealotry is also a real danger. Neither are capable of compromise.

Egypt is in dis-array. Unstable. It can barely govern itself.

Has Jordan had its 'Arab Spring' yet? The schism between the varying tribes of the area, Sunni,Shia, and the other interpretations of Islam, is the Achilles Heel of a possible compromise any time soon.

Israeli policy must be to remain on guard until the Middle Eastern nations sort out their internicine battles for supremacy and learn to live alongside one-another in relative peace. And accept that Israel is there to stay. In the current climate, Bibi portrays an image of strong leadership, his public perception amongst the obvious majority is almost one of 'Protector'. He appears also, to be no fan of Jewish zealotry.

He also has to appease Jewish business interests and its powerful influence in the US

American Jews have always been staunchly Democrat and are probably the most enthusiastic grassroots activists for the Democratic Party. That being said, most of the pro-Israel lobby in the United States are non-Jewish Christians - mostly Republicans - who support Israel for other reasons. I think you're right that overt support for Israel is minimised while support in real terms continues much as it always has done. I think the "pro-Israel lobby", however, is exaggerated and doesn't exist in the way some try to suggest. Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, and other Arab and OPEC nations have professional lobbying organisations in the United States. There are competing interests at work.

I don't know if this FT article is available without subscription but I think it is a very interesting analysis of the issues.

The US has criticised the “divisive rhetoric” used by Benjamin Netanyahu in the closing stages of his election campaign ... [saying that it] is deeply concerned by the use of divisive rhetoric in Israel that sought to marginalise Arab-Israeli citizens ... referring to Mr Netanyahu’s warning to his supporters on Tuesday that rightwing rule was in danger because “the Arabs are voting in droves”. ... [bibi's] blunt statements against a two-state solution in the closing days of the campaign ... threatens a diplomatic explosion over the Palestinian issue that Washington will struggle to contain.

The Obama administration faces being caught between the prime minister of a close ally who has clashed openly with the White House in recent weeks and Palestinian leaders emboldened to push their claims for statehood outside the US-led peace process.

Mr Netanyahu’s campaign rhetoric is likely to prompt a sharp reaction from the Palestinians, who have already threatened to present a case against Israel at the International Criminal Court for alleged war crimes and who are pushing for recognition from various international organisations.

If the Obama administration sees the situation polarising further, it may be tempted to try and involve the UN in a peace process it has always tried to lead.

This is the fascinating reality of the US's loss of power - it is trying to control the peace process, but its lack of progress - partly due to its reducing influence in the world and partly due to Israeli intransigence means it is loosing that control. The Palestinians won't be stalled any longer and can rely on Chinese and Russian support in the UN.

It really begs the question: what does Bibi think he can hold out for?

Israeli lack of cooperation could mean its most loyal ally loosing control of the process and far less sympathetic powers stepping in to try to impose their vision.

That could be disastrous for Israel's interests.

Politics is the art of the possible. I do not understand how Bibi can think refusing any cooperation or compromise with Palestinians is going to moderate their aspirations to escape occupation.

I feel it drives issues to the extremes and empowers the likes of Hamas who insist the only way to end occupation is to end Israel.

I find it tragic that Bibi is confirming that vile ideology.

I firmly support Israel as the home of the Jewish people, but for Israel to try to maintain a violent occupation over millions of Palestinians is a recipe for disaster.

This status quo will break, my view the task is to manage the peace process via supportive allies, not wreak it and allow those who are violent and unsympathetic have their world view confirmed.

This is so tragic. I just hope a secular, technological, modern Israel doesn't endanger itself with its insistence it never needs to compromise.

Archived