Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

I made a mistake in my calculation the sun is not 6201 miles high but 4259 miles up....its getting closer to the FE figure...I really should double check things...

Assuming you accept that modern aircraft can fly further than that without needing to refuel, do you think anyone has flow to (or into) the sun?

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made a mistake in my calculation the sun is not 6201 miles high but 4259 miles up....its getting closer to the FE figure...I really should double check things...

Assuming you accept that modern aircraft can fly further than that without needing to refuel, do you think anyone has flow to (or into) the sun?

Mojo: Modern aircraft cannot fly up 4259 miles in an upward direction, they can travel this distance in a horizontal direction but not anywhere near the altitude of the sun...

I do agree when physics states that there in no oxygen for the jets to burn their fuel at a certain height and also the atmosphere gets so thin the further up you go, that there is nothing to push against to thrust upwards, making the jet engines useless....Also if there is no atmosphere a few hundred miles up, what would the wings be doing, do you know anything about aerodynamics, this is good and provable science that I fully subscribe to...wings....atmosphere....LIFT!!!!!

There is absolutely no evidence that a man made craft has ever been any higher than 300 miles, so the sun is quite safe at 4259 miles up...This also accounts for no moon landings either as this is a similar distance in the sky....

Eratosthenes is fully debunked...His calculations that say the earth is a ball of 25000 miles circumference also suggest the earth can be nowhere near 93,000,000 miles away...This alone throws problems along the whole chain of assumptions that these people have been passing off as fact for so long...These are the giants that modern science has been standing on the shoulders of.

Eratosthenes is fully debunked...His calculations that say the earth is a ball of 25000 miles circumference also suggest the earth can be nowhere near 93,000,000 miles away.

Could you explain what you mean by the above in a bit more detail, please.

Any luck working out the height of the noon day sun in Alexandria yet?

"Eratosthenes is fully debunked...His calculations that say the earth is a ball of 25000 miles circumference also suggest the earth can be nowhere near 93,000,000 miles away."

Correction

Eratosthenes is fully debunked...His calculations that say the earth is a ball of 25000 miles circumference also suggest the earth SUN can be nowhere near 93,000,000 miles away.

That perhaps makes more sense....sorry...

Eratosthenes is fully debunked...His calculations that say the earth is a ball of 25000 miles circumference also suggest the earth SUN can be nowhere near 93,000,000 miles away.

Erm ... Gerry, maybe you need to check your calculations again.

Could you explain how you can be sure that Eratosthenes' calculations suggest the Sun can be nowhere near 93 million miles away?

Can I also just check.

As an approximation we are saying Alexandria to Syene is 523 miles, and this subtends an angle of 7°.

How big would the earth be if you assumed the sun exhibited no parallax (ie it was an infinite distance away)?

How big would the earth be if the sun was 93,000,000 miles away?

Care doing either of these calculations, using the assumption of a spherical earth?

How are you getting on with working out the height of the sun in Alexandria today?

Well, that's a relief.

So how high will the sun be at noon in Alexandria today.

Care to work that out.

May I suggest you do it two ways - firstly with a flat earth with a sun however far away you wish.

Secondly a spherical earth with the sun an infinite distance away.

Don't forget you have to ensure your assumptions are consistent with the known noon day sun in Greenwich and Castletown.

I am onto something here Woolley, I think I have cracked it, I need to double check, but it involves removing more assumptions and also that little GIF I posted some time ago of the sun circling the flat earth...This could be a Eureka moment....

Added any more analysis to you Eureka moment, Gerry?

Today the sun at its highest point will be 41.2° above the horizon at Castletown, Latitude 54.0727°N.

43.8° at Greenwich, Latitude 51.4826°N.

I ask again - what height will the sun be at its highest point (solar noon) today in Alexandria, latitude 31.2001°N.

You are welcome to try to predict this using Eratosthenes' assumptions - spherical earth, sun an infinite distance away.

Or any flat earth assumptions you like.

The question is - which predictions will be more accurate.

Now Gerry, please let's not pretend that all the astronomical almanacks are faked by the illuminati and sextants are prohibited items.

Just do some really simple maths and try to predict in the two models the height of the sun at noon today in 3 places.

Chinahand, I haven't conveniently forgotten, the suns positions in the sky at various locations do indicate a round Earth and seem to fully support the accepted model and it is predictable.

My eureka moment is a method to show how this can also be predicted on a flat plane. Obviously if it cannot be shown on a flat plane then I can no longer sensibly believe in a flat Earth...

Chinahand, I haven't conveniently forgotten, the suns positions in the sky at various locations do indicate a round Earth and seem to fully support the accepted model and it is predictable.

My eureka moment is a method to show how this can also be predicted on a flat plane. Obviously if it cannot be shown on a flat plane then I can no longer sensibly believe in a flat Earth...

So, Gerry, when you said:

You, in fact, meant:

Eratosthenes is fully consistent ... His calculations accurately predict the circumference of the Earth, assuming the Sun is a vast distance away.

And it seems you now accept that his model can also be used to accurately predict the height of the noon day sun anywhere in the world. Is that right?

Well, I would call that progress and separated by only 7 posts ... quite a change of hearth there, Gerry.

Genuinely, please do attempt to create as simple, elegant and accurate a model using Flat Earth assumptions.

I await with great interest.

Archived