Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

Until someone can show me pics or video of a misplaced Shiva statue (which we all know is their calling card), I'm not going to believe in the shadowy "they", in the sentence "they won't let independent observers travel there [Antarctica]"

Shiva statues are how "they" let their brotherhood know they had a hand in what's going on.

no statue, no "they".

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul, you are doing something I know as a Gish Gallop - putting up issue after issue and not allowing a discussion to go on.

With a Foucault's pendulum the issue isn't that it revolves, it is that it revolves at different speeds at different latitudes.

With Airy's failure I would try to read this.

I really would like to stick with Eratosthenes at the moment and see how the two different interpretations of his results - a spherical earth with a sun a huge distance away, or a flat earth with a close sun produce very different predictions about things like noon day, sunrise or sunset.

Having someone on Youtube just state he has disproven Foucault's pendulum and the coriolis effect isn't proof that they have.

The trouble is rather than sticking to an issue and seeing what the consequences of it are, you just move on and on and on, and then back to the same issue again without the issues ever being bedded down.

I am trying to patiently explain things, and genuinely Foucault's pendulums are a good example of how latitude is important. Airy's failure shows that the earth moves and revolves around the sun (it didn't fail to find this, it failed to find any movement of the earth with respect of an ether), and sunsets and sun rises aren't the sun fading and diminishing into the distance.

You putting up youtube video after youtube video full of claims which are frankly innaccurate doesn't move the discussion forward. It just drowns it out.

@ gerrydandridge: It's still nonsense, but full marks for stickability and the work you put into it. Fair play to you on that. Impressive.

I think that Chinahand is actually Gerry or vice versa

Mind you, you can't say that there's never a flat moment :)

@chinahand: I am revising my model, a y=mx+c gradient for the suns height is not very accurate at all, it needs a curve, 30 years away from the maths classroom makes me somewhat slow and doddery with these matters...plus the last video that Paul just posted has given me another idea..I agree with you this angle of the sun in different places is important, the flat earth model fails if it cannot be account for...

The moon rise here to me looks like it is coming towards me and then passing above overhead at an angle as the sun does to me on many days here.

I must admit your sun video does look rather like the sun being swallowed by the horizon but do you remember the Victorian drawing of the woman walking away with the skirt touching the floor and the legs appear to be missing.

fig78.jpg

Have you noticed how the whole horizon seems to close in, light wise on a sun set, if the sun were 93 million miles away I would expect the whole horizon to darken or brighten at once, but it seems to close in, getting darker from the edges of the horizon as the sun sets, I don't understand how this can happen..I went for a late night / early AM walk the other night and the sky was slightly lit up to the west, several hours after the sun had gone down, all the street lights were off and I stood in the park here at 2am looking at this orange glow to the west, how can this be so......

Gerry, it is always quite difficult when you do this.

Please look at your victorian picture and think. It is not right.

post-1364-0-34690100-1441991688_thumb.png

Think about a 2 metre person looking at a 4 m object. How will the angles above and below her line of sight change as the object moves further and further away on a flat plain?

The perspective will be the same above and below eye level.

Your diagram is wrong. I hope we can agree on this, or else things rapidly get pointless.

Paul, you are doing something I know as a Gish Gallop - putting up issue after issue and not allowing a discussion to go on.

With a Foucault's pendulum the issue isn't that it revolves, it is that it revolves at different speeds at different latitudes.

With Airy's failure I would try to read this.

I really would like to stick with Eratosthenes at the moment and see how the two different interpretations of his results - a spherical earth with a sun a huge distance away, or a flat earth with a close sun produce very different predictions about things like noon day, sunrise or sunset.

Having someone on Youtube just state he has disproven Foucault's pendulum and the coriolis effect isn't proof that they have.

The trouble is rather than sticking to an issue and seeing what the consequences of it are, you just move on and on and on, and then back to the same issue again without the issues ever being bedded down.

I am trying to patiently explain things, and genuinely Foucault's pendulums are a good example of how latitude is important. Airy's failure shows that the earth moves and revolves around the sun (it didn't fail to find this, it failed to find any movement of the earth with respect of an ether), and sunsets and sun rises aren't the sun fading and diminishing into the distance.

You putting up youtube video after youtube video full of claims which are frankly innaccurate doesn't move the discussion forward. It just drowns it out.

China you are chattin what i call shite. You think you're brains of britain but you have no manners. Now you're pretending you're dead sound. Don't make me laugh. You dont get to say what i am doing. I do. i am posting info about this thread. so get it up ye x

Archived