Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do love a challenge - and Gerry is right that video of the Earth rotating as a globe clearly from space is rare.

But as ever he's wrong! It does exist.

But first the internet is full of video from the ISS. This is one of my favourites:

and soon you'll be able to view a live feed from the ISS: https://www.urthecast.com/

Sadly Gerry thinks all these are fake but also they show the ISS moving over the earth and not the earth rotating itself.

The next level out from Low Earth Orbit is imagery from Geostatinoary Satellites. I find these stunningly beautiful, but obviously you don't see the earth moving - they are geostationary.

You do see the sun's shadow, of course, but I don't think that's good enough for Gerry after hearing his explanation that it is dark in Australia because the sun is tiny and only 3000 miles away!

This video has been built up from images taken every 30mins so you see the shadow moving

While this is a nice geostationary time lapse as the image is captured at the same time of day and so gives a great representation of the seasons - Gerry why is the sun lower in the sky at mid day in June in South Africa than in the UK, and why does the sun rise earlier in the UK? How do you explain that with a flat earth, or your quasi hybrid? Can you see the explanation in this video?

Further out than Geostationary orbit images of the earth are really rare - especially moving images.

The Chinese YuTu lander on the moon has images of the Earth cresent, but they are poor quality:

As are the images of Juno's flyby:

Why ... I'm not certain ... partly you've got to realize getting stuff out this far takes billions of pounds/dollar/roubles/yuan. I know for a fact Carl Sagan had real trouble persuading NASA to let him take the Pale Blue Dot photo of Earth. Power budgets etc meant it took up precious resources which could have been used for science. The view was the cameras were there to do science and not mess around taking snap shots.

With YuTu the lander would be in darkness when the Earth was full and there weren't going to risk battery life waking the thing up to do it.

I guess the same is true with Juno with only the least power hungry camera woken up for the fly by.

So there aren't that many view of earth rotating from space ...

Now that's pro-active as you're asking for Gerry to provide a source.

Facts are the key that swing most debates and so far - sorry Gerry, the facts currently stack up against you, but there's also areas which you've raised like not being able to fly over the Antarctic which creates a question as to why that is. Again, facts are needed to substantiate that and whether these are true or not again raises questions.

To Quilp, I understand what you said earlier, but I'd like more interaction from other persons who dare not say anything in case they get knocked for raising an opinion. The more view points we have, the more questionable and knowledgeable we become.

To Chinahand - good to see you're using visual evidence, but there's still no need to say 'Or your quasi hybrid?'

By all means point out the differences and whether Gerry or anyone else still sees differently, then this is their personal choice. As they say, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink it.

Please carry on with your clips as it's good to see both viewpoints, regardless of how far they are apart. thumbsup.gif

Manxy: If I had a plane and wanted to fly over the Antarctic they would shoot me down, you cannot go to the Antarctic unless on a "system" approved tour, people have tried to go via boat to the threat of getting blown out of the water if they didnt turn around, whats this all about?

As ever total and utter rubbish.

If you've got the cash, you can go to the South Pole:

http://wikitravel.org/en/South_Pole

http://www.icetrek.com/join-a-trip/south-pole-and-antarctica.html

http://www.discover-the-world.co.uk/destinations/antarctica-holidays/south-pole

Maybe you should listen to this, it is an inspiring tale.

Quite a few flights go over the arctic circle, flights from Russia to America and vice versa take advantage of the fact that the Earth is a sphere, and go up and over rather than all the way round. You can even watch this online on flight tracking software, where the map shown as a flat 2d image shows planes disappearing off it north edge travelling north in one spot only to appear further along the map suddenly travelling south.

Circumnavigation. I know I've said it before, but it bears repeating, i know three people who have circumnavigated the globe, two of whom did it for their honeymoon, and the other who worked his way around the world on a spiritual/ martial arts related inner search.

People have been sending cameras, phones, and gopro's into space, or at least high enough to get good footage of the curvature of the earth, for some time now, and this prolific amateur footage made easily accesible on user generated mediums like youtube is incredibly damning to any notion of a flat earth.

Finally, i doubt anyone here truly believes the earth is flat, arguing about it is probably just something to do to pass the time.

In my opinion if the earth is a globe then it is not spinning, I am thinking closer to the other bodies revolving around us, and the question as to why would we be lied to, well again only speculation on my part but somewhere along the lines of making us seem insignificant, and to dis-empower us.

Gerry, in your opinion how do Geostationary Satellites work?

Do you understand the concept of parallax? I've friends who are connected with Gaia.

Oh and Manxie - people are welcome to their own opinions, but not to their own facts.

Quite a few flights go over the arctic circle, flights from Russia to America and vice versa take advantage of the fact that the Earth is a sphere, and go up and over rather than all the way round. You can even watch this online on flight tracking software, where the map shown as a flat 2d image shows planes disappearing off it north edge travelling north in one spot only to appear further along the map suddenly travelling south.

Circumnavigation. I know I've said it before, but it bears repeating, i know three people who have circumnavigated the globe, two of whom did it for their honeymoon, and the other who worked his way around the world on a spiritual/ martial arts related inner search.

People have been sending cameras, phones, and gopro's into space, or at least high enough to get good footage of the curvature of the earth, for some time now, and this prolific amateur footage made easily accesible on user generated mediums like youtube is incredibly damning to any notion of a flat earth.

Finally, i doubt anyone here truly believes the earth is flat, arguing about it is probably just something to do to pass the time.

Spot on.

It would be nice to see the moon rotate from time to time.

Seeing the same moon in exactly the same place appears somewhat strange and why is that?

I'm already on this, but would like to see others opinions and pictures to prove their point.

Over to you CH

With the eclipse of the moon visible tonight for those in Oz and the Western US - NASA clicky doo

I was searching for what an eclipse looks like from the moon and discovered some more challenges to Gerry's eccentricities:

More info here.

The Japan Space Agencies Kaguya really does create amazing imagery!

Archived