Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that's my point in posting the ever increasing numbers of people looking into it. it's called doing science! it does make me wonder why so many people react so badly to the mention of the subject. "Flat earth" is a misnomer of course, it absolutely is not flat. 3d topography far an wide. ball skepticism however is right on the money, considering not many can have seen it with their own eyes.

as the saying goes, if you want to see how open minded someone is, spray them in the face with some flat earth spray and watch the reaction. it's very telling. most people who have reacted badly that i have met, haven't even got a clue why they live on a ball, but they just believe what they were told, even though they dont even know the basics like how far the sun and moon are in the model of their reality. quite shocking to be fair.

as for the detractors on here who claimed it was stupid to even look at it or entertain it, they are clearly against scientific research and reevaluating known results and theories. i can ask most people 20 simple questions about the ball and they wouldn't even come close to answering them sufficiently. i just keep learning more and it's fascinating. unless youtube is not to be trusted, it's clear how big the subject has become. i will post my list soon with the dual results. i'm not satisfied with china's explanation that the search results are larger, due to the words appearing in other video's, as i showed with the mylie cyrrus search. good day to you all x

You can't spell Miley seems a pretty good explanation, but maybe NASA has something to do with it too, who knows.

i took it from the auto cue on youtube search china it's not like ive got all her albums! x

You can't spell Miley seems a pretty good explanation, but maybe NASA has something to do with it too, who knows.

so now it's the opposite way round.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%22miley+cyrus%22

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=miley+cyrus

Paul - the filters are slightly complex because google/youtube tries to compensate for spelling mistakes, and tries to understand what you are doing etc.

But basically when you type in

Miley Cyrus

into a search engine, the search returns hits which contain either of these words, but ranks the list to put the ones which contain both first, and due to it being google and hence the search engine knows who Miley Cyrus is it tends not to return results on Miley Jab Hum Tum.

If you type

"Miley Cyrus"

into a search engine, it basically only returns the hits which contain the entire phrase Miley Cyrus.

The search results for the first term will be bigger than the list for the second term.

With my Heath Robinson attempt I estimate approx ONLY "<"300 between 2008 and 2014, for search results for "Flat Earth" which makes a nice figure for the last year when deducted from the 10,000,100 results as of today for "Flat Earth"

It's 534,000 between Jan 1st 2008 and Dec 31st 2014.

208,000 from Jan 1st 2015 to today.

I've sort of done the things in this paper a few times in this thread with the Mournes and various photos of the Island.

PGW - science involves developing a theory, expressing that theory in a model - usually mathematical - then taking some observations and seeing how they compare with the mathematical model - ie is the model useful.

It rarely involve collecting lists of Youtube searches.

Why don't you go and try doing this experiment? The people doing it took 4 sets of measurements at 2 locations and consistently got results showing a radius between 6 and 7 thousand kilometres - more accurate measurements put it at 6371km. I think that is pretty wonderful - especially as they didn't correct for the atmosphere.

What would be interesting is if you did the experiment 20 times and recorded how variable the results are due to refraction of light in the earth's atmosphere. That doesn't nullify your result - it will just give you a bounds to the accuracy of the simple model you are using.

You could then start using more complicated models which use air and sea temperature to correct for the defraction - and if you did your results would become more accurate.

If people are actually willing to do a bit of work the admittedly subtle curvature of the earth is perfectly measurable.

PGW - do you think I am lying to you? Do you think the scientists at the Department of Physics, University of Girona, Spain are lying to you? If you did you could show that we are by doing these results yourself - that is what science is all about.

Here is a simple, clear demonstration of the earth's curvature - you could do it yourself climbing Peel Hill, or watching the Mournes at a sunset in Port Erin.

PGW you are almost guaranteed to say I am assuming things - but you seem to prefer trying to solve this issue by looking at Youtube videos which are full of misrepresentations, misunderstandings and ignorance (sorry to be blunt, but that is a truthful statement - hopefully these are innocent errors, but not in all cases) rather than actually using your own eyes to see the consequences of the earth's curvature.

I find it really strange, but as ever you crack on - the world is full of manias and you (we?) seem caught up in Youtubes rather minor mania about the flat earth - 300 hours of video are uploaded to Youtube every minute, you need to put things in perspective: 694K internet links is a tiny part of the internet, but still enough to waste years of your life in.

Archived