Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... i have remained open minded throughout ...

So open-minded your brains've fallen out ...

no quilp that's just your self inflated, programmed, cliched ego tellin you porkies mate. ye can't ridicule me, you're just hiding from a reflection you don't want to see. pretending faces never change a thing fella.

the mind can be said to be like a parachute or an umbrella, it needs to be open to work properly. good luck finding your ripcords x

You should read Ulysses by James Joyce. It's like 300 pages of your posts.

The advantage of maths is that you can compare one model with a different one.

In the above we've created a model for a spherical earth, but what if the earth was flat.

We can model that too - if the Earth was flat, then the lines of latitude would join places an equal distance from the pole.

The distance from the pole to the equator is basically 10,000 km meaning every 10 degrees of latitude is 1,111 km apart (this is a little bit out, but only by an insignificant amount).

If on a flat earth Polaris is a certain distance D above the North Pole and you are on a line of latitude L km away from the pole then:

The Elevation of Polaris = x = atan(D/L)

As before we may not know what the actual Distance is, but we can create graphs looking at how Polaris might look IF IT WAS various distances above the North Pole.

So, we can now combine both a flat earth and a spherical earth model onto a single graph looking how the elevation of polaris might change with altitude:

post-1364-0-74930000-1450911788_thumb.png

... i have remained open minded throughout ...

So open-minded your brains've fallen out ...

no quilp that's just your self inflated, programmed, cliched ego tellin you porkies mate. ye can't ridicule me, you're just hiding from a reflection you don't want to see. pretending faces never change a thing fella.

the mind can be said to be like a parachute or an umbrella, it needs to be open to work properly. good luck finding your ripcords x

You should read Ulysses by James Joyce. It's like 300 pages of your posts.

did you enjoy it?

The advantage of maths is that you can compare one model with a different one.

In the above we've created a model for a spherical earth, but what if the earth was flat.

We can model that too - if the Earth was flat, then the lines of latitude would join places an equal distance from the pole.

The distance from the pole to the equator is basically 10,000 km meaning every 10 degrees of latitude is 1,111 km apart (this is a little bit out, but only by an insignificant amount).

If on a flat earth Polaris is a certain distance D above the North Pole and you are on a line of latitude L km away from the pole then:

The Elevation of Polaris = x = atan(D/L)

As before we may not know what the actual Distance is, but we can create graphs looking at how Polaris might look IF IT WAS various distances above the North Pole.

So, we can now combine both a flat earth and a spherical earth model onto a single graph looking how the elevation of polaris might change with altitude:

attachicon.gifPolaris Graph2.png

i'm with you china

Ok - so, so far we have been doing the theoretical side of science. Building different models - but they are all just so many lines on a graph and they are simplifications of reality.

Polaris isn't EXACTLY above the poles, light refracts as it passes through the atmosphere, people can't set up their protractors to measure the angle accurately.* All of these things add up and mean if you were to go and actually measure the elevation of Polaris you'd get a slightly different result each time you did it.

How big are the errors - well for an amateur like me, probably around about a degree, maybe a bit less.

If you have access to Gia or Hubble up in space, or some of the huge telescopes in Chile or Hawaii then it is 100th of a second of arc.

This starts to touch on delicate territory - PGW - have you heard of a Parsec? It is a measure of distance - made famous via the Kessel run!

The meaning of it is that the star has a parallax of a second of arc - ie the star's position changes by 1 second (1/3600 of a degree) over a six month period (from one side of Earth's orbit to the other), which means it is about 3 light years away. This was absolutely the cutting edge about 100 years ago, and being able to measure a star's parallax was about the first direct measurement of how far away they actually are. Sadly most Flat Earthers reject all this science.

So let's look at the graphs again:

post-1364-0-74930000-1450911788.png

At the moment we've not discussed which of the lines on this graph represent the real world, but what I am telling you is that I can measure the position of Polaris to within about a degree and professional astronomers to accuracies thousands upon thousands of times more accurately than that.

Now you don't have to trust me on this - because you can go and do the measurements yourself and you are perfectly capable of measuring the position of polaris to within a degree too.

Now, during all this explanation I have been totally agnostic as to what reality shows - all I've done is show that IF light travels in straight lines, if the earth is a sphere, or if it is flat and Polaris is a certain distance away what the results would look like if I was able to measure them perfectly.

Now refraction will change a star's position by about half a degree when it is low to the horizon, the star's position is actually moving, there are the effects of parallax, I'm not very good at measuring angles etc etc - but all these effects only add up to an error of about a degree.

So - if we were measuring the position of Polaris rather than calculating it then all the dots on the graphs I've drawn could be out by about 1 degree.

PGW - look at the scale - is an error of about 1 degree a problem if we were to try to distinguish between these models?

Or are the differences between them so great that a 1 degree fuzziness in the results isn't important in distinguishing between them?

* May I add at this point the irony I feel about the total arrogance of Antonio to think he is doing something insightful with his pieces of spaghetti that all those liars at NASA can't understand.

thanks china i'm still with you and following your logic. i did read your previous exchanges here with gerry, and i know where we are going with this. i understand your impartiality thus far. i'll chew on this over the holidays and leave you to your festivities and get on with mine. i appreciate the tutorial but won't have much spare time to engage over the next few days so could we continue this particular stage, maybe monday? merry chritmas to you and all your kin x

Hi Guys,flowers.gif

I heard about this thread/site from a couple of the girls at work after a conversation we were having about Professor Brian Coxwub.png , I couldn't quite believe there were actually people who believed the earth was flat, I mean I thought this had been put to bed hundreds of years ago. I thought it must be some kind of joke, how wrong can a girl be?wub.png

I havnt read all the pages, I mean who could?.

Im so glad to have found Manx Forums, a whole interesting community with such a diverse range of characters, its better than Coronation Street which makes me proud once again of our little rock, nice to meet you guys and please don't be mean to the new girl!

Ive actually been looking at a few of the videos posted and it seems there is quite a few more of these 'people' out there. All the mathematics completely bamboozles me, but Im glad theres people on here that are able to bring some common sense and real scientific knowledge and equations to the topic, its so great to know that we have such clever people on our Island.

Thanks Guys, Im looking forward to coming along for the ride.

Merry Christmassanta.gifsanta.gif

Pattie xxx

Hi Guys,flowers.gif

I heard about this thread/site from a couple of the girls at work after a conversation we were having about Professor Brian Coxwub.png , I couldn't quite believe there were actually people who believed the earth was flat, I mean I thought this had been put to bed hundreds of years ago. I thought it must be some kind of joke, how wrong can a girl be?wub.png

I havnt read all the pages, I mean who could?.

Im so glad to have found Manx Forums, a whole interesting community with such a diverse range of characters, its better than Coronation Street which makes me proud once again of our little rock, nice to meet you guys and please don't be mean to the new girl!

Ive actually been looking at a few of the videos posted and it seems there is quite a few more of these 'people' out there. All the mathematics completely bamboozles me, but Im glad theres people on here that are able to bring some common sense and real scientific knowledge and equations to the topic, its so great to know that we have such clever people on our Island.

Thanks Guys, Im looking forward to coming along for the ride.

Merry Christmassanta.gifsanta.gif

Pattie xxx

Clunk Click every trip.thumbsup.gif

There are lots of ignorant people in the world, PGW, the fact they can make YouTube videos doesn't alter their ignorance though sadly it seems to spread anti-knowledge as clearly some people think what they are saying is worth taking seriously. It isn't.

It is wrong.

Thought any more about my graphs? You can check which one matches reality yourself, very easily.

Archived