Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is really sad, and not something worthy of respect. To be blunt it is pretty contemptible. Gerry is perfectly welcome to his own opinions, but not to his own facts - and willfully ignoring simple measurable facts is stupid ... but that's Gerrydandridge for you.

Reality is what it is and Gerrydandridge is a nutter if he believes what he's posting. It shouldn't be respected because there is nothing to respect in what he is saying. It is factually and provably wrong.

But I am pretty sure saying this won't change Gerry's mind one bit - because it isn't a mind which is amenable to evidence, but we all know that is so, it is readily apparent in nearly everything he posts.

"Ignorance is curable, stupid is forever." - Robert A. Heinlein

let's not forget that there is not a single person in this thread that sincerely believes the earth is anything other than sphere(-ish) shaped.

There are two groups of people: those that are arguing that the earth is not flat, and those that are playing devil's advocate for a position they themselves don't hold for reasons that are unclear, possibly because they enjoy the discussion, or they "get off" on imagining the irritation of those who argue with them.

There are no flat Earthers here.

let's not forget that there is not a single person in this thread that sincerely believes the earth is anything other than sphere(-ish) shaped.

There are two groups of people: those that are arguing that the earth is not flat, and those that are playing devil's advocate for a position they themselves don't hold for reasons that are unclear, possibly because they enjoy the discussion, or they "get off" on imagining the irritation of those who argue with them.

There are no flat Earthers here.

let's not forget that not a single person in this thread has been to space nor can they show live footage of the rotating earth x

Live footage of a rotating earth would look the same as footage of the moving hour hand on a clock played at half speed. How many YouTube hits would that get, and how long would you watch it for to convince yourself it was spinning?

And let's not forget that even if those that have been to space aren't believed, and any video footage of the earth rotating would be dismissed as faked CGI.

This whole thread isn't really a discussion about facts and science, but philosophy. Any argument can be countered with "How do we know we're alive and not just dreaming it all?" or "how do we know everybody else on the planet isn't lying to us?"

And let's not forget that even if those that have been to space aren't believed, and any video footage of the earth rotating would be dismissed as faked CGI.

This whole thread isn't really a discussion about facts and science, but philosophy. How do we know we're alive and not just dreaming it all?

I'm certain this world isn't a solipsism-based construct of my own personal imagination, i credit myself with enough intelligence to create a far better world inhabited with far more believable characters.

You can see a photo taken no more than half an hour ago from a geostationary satellite here and here.

When you look at more than one of them you can clearly see the Earth's shadow moving across the earth.

I've asked this before - how do people think a geostationary satellite is able to maintain a constant position over the earth?

What keeps them up there? I'd really like some of those presenting the case for a stationary earth, or a flat one to answer this. Please try.

For a hint go and get a bucket of water and spin it around and around over your head. Does the water fall out or does the speed of rotation overcome the force of gravity?

Try some Xkcd to help.

What makes you think these images are not CGI, I said before, ask the question why these images were not taken or available in the 70s 80s or 90s, could it be that CGI was not up to it, all these images come from times when CGI is available.

All those decades of satellites and unmanned space flights surveying distant moons and planets but all we get is images at best from a few years ago (CGI era) of earth, does not add up to me one bit.

But an 5 year old XBox could manage to render these images with the highlighted country borders. so unbelievable that you all buy it..

What makes you think these images are not CGI, I said before, ask the question why these images were not taken or available in the 70s 80s or 90s, could it be that CGI was not up to it, all these images come from times when CGI is available.

And there aren't any from the 17th century either, and as we all know CGI is the only technology that has developed since then.

Archived