Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

PGW - maybe this will help you understand how you can understand the shape of the earth from observing the stars.

How can we explain solar eclipse tracks:

SEatlas2001.GIF

Why are they the shape they are?

Here's a hint:

More (and better) animations here.

The challenge is to understand that these animations aren't the issue.  The issue is that we can predict to second and meter accuracy where an eclipse will be on the earth and then travel to that place and see the prediction come true.  This isn't a matter of belief - it is a hard prediction which is confirmed by millions of people every time an eclipse occurs.  These curves make no sense on a flat earth, but are the reason we can predict eclipses so well - the shadow is moving over the globe and is affected by the shape of the earth.

You cannot predict an eclipse path without accounting for the shape of the earth. 

It is a most wonderful thing about astronomy - we may be staring at the stars, but our telescopes and ourselves are grounded on Earth and so to know where to point our telescope we have to understand the shape of the Earth.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Tarne said:

Are you wankers still trying to explain things to Paul the Crazy Loon? 

It's like trying to explain the concept of an internal combustion engine to a bear. It just doesn't have the mental capacity to deal with it. 

what are you waltering on about?

Just now, RIchard Britten said:

Its your claim that the world is flat.  Prove your case.

please provide the proof of your claim richard, or else you can just apologise and agree to refrain from making false assumptions about me. if you just read my post to china it states clearly that i dont know the shape or size of the earth. neither do you or anyone else on this thread.

1 minute ago, paul's got wright said:

please provide the proof of your claim richard, or else you can just apologise and agree to refrain from making false assumptions about me. if you just read my post to china it states clearly that i dont know the shape or size of the earth. neither do you or anyone else on this thread.

Abundant evidence to the contrary would suggest otherwise.

35 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

PGW - maybe this will help you understand how you can understand the shape of the earth from observing the stars.

How can we explain solar eclipse tracks:

SEatlas2001.GIF

Why are they the shape they are?

Here's a hint:

More (and better) animations here.

The challenge is to understand that these animations aren't the issue.  The issue is that we can predict to second and meter accuracy where an eclipse will be on the earth and then travel to that place and see the prediction come true.  This isn't a matter of belief - it is a hard prediction which is confirmed by millions of people every time an eclipse occurs.  These curves make no sense on a flat earth, but are the reason we can predict eclipses so well - the shadow is moving over the globe and is affected by the shape of the earth.

You cannot predict an eclipse path without accounting for the shape of the earth. 

It is a most wonderful thing about astronomy - we may be staring at the stars, but our telescopes and ourselves are grounded on Earth and so to know where to point our telescope we have to understand the shape of the Earth.

youve been blinded bv the seance china, its only a matter of time until the subject comes to a climax scientifically, and with you being so incapable of looking outside your own world view, it is bound to make you feel a bit queasy. as i said before, you are a one dimensional thinker in a three dimensional reality. your previous post is riddled with presumptions and assumptions as ususal, and carried with the same kind of arrogance that puts you in the too scared to look category. not to worry, the rest of the world will carry on looking into the subject matter, and we will all be a lot closer to the truth of the matter by then. whether you like it or not x

7 minutes ago, RIchard Britten said:

Abundant evidence to the contrary would suggest otherwise.

oh so you think you can make a false claim about me and, when i ask you to apologise and refrain from doing so, you can just ignore the content directly? doesnt seem the actions of an honest person to be fair. heresay is not permissable in court as evidence for good reason richard. where is your proof of your claim? or do you always use strawmen to make yourself feel better about your long held faith based beliefs, when they are challenged?

6 minutes ago, paul's got wright said:

oh so you think you can make a false claim about me and, when i ask you to apologise and refrain from doing so, you can just ignore the content directly? doesnt seem the actions of an honest person to be fair. heresay is not permissable in court as evidence for good reason richard. where is your proof of your claim? or do you always use strawmen to make yourself feel better about your long held faith based beliefs, when they are challenged?

False claim?

long held faith based beliefs

I worked on ultra long range HF communications (Falklands to the UK).  I don't believe the Earth is not flat, I know it is not flat.

Archived