Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, woolley said:

I suppose this nonsense will never go away until we have Earth based telescopy of such power and definition that the Moon landing sites can readily be seen by everyone. In the meantime mischievous authors and commentators will continue to make careers out of fleecing the gullible.

Fair point, whichever way a persons viewpoint is

9 hours ago, manxy said:

Why have a battle in Antartica? Operation Highjump?

Why obsess about Admiral Byrd?  Because he appeared on a TV program and said things you've misinterpreted?

Why not bring up Vivian Fuchs* - he presented me my "for-effort" prize in R.S. in about 1979 - and actually explored the land Byrd simply flew over. Clicky-do.

*As the son of a German immigrant, with a name like that and being 10 in 1918 I suspect his first few years of schooling involved quite a large number of puns.

https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/2010/feb/14/newspaper-headlines-style-cliches
I have been trawling through the archives of the Manchester Guardian and can reveal it is a myth that our reports of the exploits of the explorer Vivian Fuchs ever carried the headline "Fuchs Off To Antarctic". The following did, however, appear: "Savage Cold Could Halt Fuchs" (12 January 1958), "Sir Vivian Fuchs At Palace" (16 May 1958), and my favourite, "Sir Vivian Fuchs For Antarctic" (6 December 1963).

2 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/2010/feb/14/newspaper-headlines-style-cliches
I have been trawling through the archives of the Manchester Guardian and can reveal it is a myth that our reports of the exploits of the explorer Vivian Fuchs ever carried the headline "Fuchs Off To Antarctic". The following did, however, appear: "Savage Cold Could Halt Fuchs" (12 January 1958), "Sir Vivian Fuchs At Palace" (16 May 1958), and my favourite, "Sir Vivian Fuchs For Antarctic" (6 December 1963).

It was claimed that one of the large regional newspapers (Yorkshire Post??) reported on difficulties encountered by VF during an Antarctic trek under the headline “Fuchs In a Hole”. I doubt it’s true but hope it is.

On 2/17/2018 at 11:24 AM, woolley said:

I suppose this nonsense will never go away until we have Earth based telescopy of such power and definition that the Moon landing sites can readily be seen by everyone. In the meantime mischievous authors and commentators will continue to make careers out of fleecing the gullible.

11 hours ago, manxy said:

Fair point, whichever way a persons viewpoint is

I am not acknowledging the false equivalence as valid. What we have is the scientific fact of the Moon landings versus a ragbag of careerist conspirators and armchair nutters. 

10 minutes ago, woolley said:

I am not acknowledging the false equivalence as valid. What we have is the scientific fact of the Moon landings versus a ragbag of careerist conspirators and armchair nutters. 

Politicians make pronouncements about there being some innate human right to superfast broadband. Surely Manxy is a living proof by contradiction?

Archived