Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

15 hours ago, paul's got wright said:

oh they'll "take you for a ride"....no doubt about it! 

who would describe seeing the earth from space, like this?......... "and see the curvature of Earth against the blackness of space"

only a complete wally or religious fanatic in my opinion. you must have to get very high to see the curve i think guzzi x

Concorde view :   http://marccurtis.com/concorde/

The curved horizon starts to become visible around 55,000 feet. The linked page has a view from an Air France Concorde en-route Paris - New York taken from the cockpit, which had a wider view and optically better windows than in the passenger cabin. The curvature of the horizon is subtly evident.

The Virgin Galactic video shows the Earth from the top of the climb of the 'Unity' spaceship at 85,000 feet and you can very plainly see the curvature of the Earth as the craft begins to fall back towards the Earth. The Earth is top of the picture as at that point the craft is upside down relative the Earth. Have a look for yourself.

The commercial flights will travel to an altitude of about 360,000 feet, which will be ample to plainly see the curvature of the Earth. Anyone with the fare - $250,000 will be able to go. 

9 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Paul’s gob shite = very poor troll

nelly you were asked what your thoughts are, by gerry the op. i know you're a complete fantasist, but do try and muster an original thought for us. what makes you such a ball hugger?

2 hours ago, guzzi said:

Concorde view :   http://marccurtis.com/concorde/

The curved horizon starts to become visible around 55,000 feet. The linked page has a view from an Air France Concorde en-route Paris - New York taken from the cockpit, which had a wider view and optically better windows than in the passenger cabin. The curvature of the horizon is subtly evident.

The Virgin Galactic video shows the Earth from the top of the climb of the 'Unity' spaceship at 85,000 feet and you can very plainly see the curvature of the Earth as the craft begins to fall back towards the Earth. The Earth is top of the picture as at that point the craft is upside down relative the Earth. Have a look for yourself.

The commercial flights will travel to an altitude of about 360,000 feet, which will be ample to plainly see the curvature of the Earth. Anyone with the fare - $250,000 will be able to go. 

"The curved horizon" ! now there's an contradiction of terms, if there ever was one. why isn't it called the curvizon?  maybe you can see the curve from the unity, have you been on it yet?

or, maybe you're just a bit of a curvert? maybe this video can assist you somehow.

If there’s a conspiracy to pretend the world is round, who’s in on it? 

World Leaders - Merkel? May? Putin? If Obama was in on it how come Trump hasn’t denounced him?

How deep does it go? Is Corbyn in on it? Has Quayle been briefed? You wouldn’t want the Isle of Man Cabinet Office accidentally releasing data about our true location and blowing the whole show.

And this must have been going on for centuries was Churchill and Roosevelt in on it? And Stalin? What about Hitler and Mussolini? Chairman Mao? Napoleon? the Tsars and Bismarck? 

And all the airlines and big business leaders from the East India Company to Elon Musk? Are they in on it too?

I think about 41,000 ft on a long haul flight from LAX to LHA.  You could not see the curvature of the Earth.

On another flight (3rd time I've mentioned it here) from Santiago de Compostela to Gatwick, I observed the sun set and it's upper limb pass beneath the horizon as we boarded the plane. 20 minutes later, from about 30,000 feet, there was the sun again, well above the horizon.  On its own, proof by direct observation of the spheroid shape of our planet.

It is important to remember that the horizon we refer to in everyday language is the apparent horizon. It does appear flat from ground level, hence the related word horizontal. No contradiction in terms.

This is all stuff that I and others have posted before.

I think it is useful to ask people why they think that the Earth is a spheroid, and how they can prove it for themselves. Gullible people might end up dismissing all the proofs since Eratosthenes measured the circumference of the Earth in 240 BCE and perversely believing various conspiracy theories they found online instead. They were the folks I had in mind when I put up the Virgin Galactic link. My point being that as the number of private individuals who have been to space and witnessed for themselves, with their own eyes, what shape the Earth is, even the most mutton headed will have trouble finding a conspiracy theory that can stand up to more and more people being able to hold up their hands and say 'yes, I have seen it with my own eyes'!

So for about the third time, I'll bow out and leave you to whatever motivation and belief it is that compels you to write about this here, Paul.

19 minutes ago, Declan said:

World Leaders - Merkel? May? Putin? If Obama was in on it how come Trump hasn’t denounced him?

How deep does it go? Is Corbyn in on it? Has Quayle been briefed? You wouldn’t want the Isle of Man Cabinet Office accidentally releasing data about our true location and blowing the whole show.

And this must have been going on for centuries was Churchill and Roosevelt in on it? And Stalin? What about Hitler and Mussolini? Chairman Mao? Napoleon? the Tsars and Bismarck? 

And all the airlines and big business leaders from the East India Company to Elon Musk? Are they in on it too?

Yes. If you’re demented.

1 hour ago, Declan said:

"find out in the next episode of.........the science thread"

1 hour ago, guzzi said:

I think about 41,000 ft on a long haul flight from LAX to LHA.  You could not see the curvature of the Earth.

On another flight (3rd time I've mentioned it here) from Santiago de Compostela to Gatwick, I observed the sun set and it's upper limb pass beneath the horizon as we boarded the plane. 20 minutes later, from about 30,000 feet, there was the sun again, well above the horizon.  On its own, proof by direct observation of the spheroid shape of our planet.

It is important to remember that the horizon we refer to in everyday language is the apparent horizon. It does appear flat from ground level, hence the related word horizontal. No contradiction in terms.

This is all stuff that I and others have posted before.

I think it is useful to ask people why they think that the Earth is a spheroid, and how they can prove it for themselves. Gullible people might end up dismissing all the proofs since Eratosthenes measured the circumference of the Earth in 240 BCE and perversely believing various conspiracy theories they found online instead. They were the folks I had in mind when I put up the Virgin Galactic link. My point being that as the number of private individuals who have been to space and witnessed for themselves, with their own eyes, what shape the Earth is, even the most mutton headed will have trouble finding a conspiracy theory that can stand up to more and more people being able to hold up their hands and say 'yes, I have seen it with my own eyes'!

So for about the third time, I'll bow out and leave you to whatever motivation and belief it is that compels you to write about this here, Paul.

"I'll bow out " ......egg n potater.

"It does appear flat from ground level"     that's where we tend to live isn't it, or have you bowed with godspeed, and i shall never receive a reply? find out in the next chapter of the science thread!

"I think it is useful to ask people why they think that the Earth is a spheroid"........so did gerry, hence the thread! i think he was also fishing for coincidence theorists like our very own super subordinate nelly the gangstar granny.

"witnessed for themselves, with their own eyes," .......maybe if you work hard, you could do that too! in the mean time your religious beliefs will keep you on the path to that epic destination. as long as you have belief in yourself you can achieve it, right?

" whatever motivation and belief it is that compels you to write about this here,"......well i believe that i am entitled to reply to the op by gerry,  that little bit that said "what are your thoughts" ........so, what motivates you to come in the "flat earth" thread? have your long held faith based religious beliefs been challenged?

1 hour ago, Declan said:

Has Quayle been briefed? You wouldn’t want the Isle of Man Cabinet Office accidentally releasing data about our true location and blowing the whole show.

Does this mean that the Steam Packet could fall off the end of the earth?

Archived