Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, paul's got wright said:

"I'll bow out " ......egg n potater.

"It does appear flat from ground level"     that's where we tend to live isn't it, or have you bowed with godspeed, and i shall never receive a reply? find out in the next chapter of the science thread!

"I think it is useful to ask people why they think that the Earth is a spheroid"........so did gerry, hence the thread! i think he was also fishing for coincidence theorists like our very own super subordinate nelly the gangstar granny.

"witnessed for themselves, with their own eyes," .......maybe if you work hard, you could do that too! in the mean time your religious beliefs will keep you on the path to that epic destination. as long as you have belief in yourself you can achieve it, right?

" whatever motivation and belief it is that compels you to write about this here,"......well i believe that i am entitled to reply to the op by gerry,  that little bit that said "what are your thoughts" ........so, what motivates you to come in the "flat earth" thread? have your long held faith based religious beliefs been challenged?

When you say it appears flat, I take it you’re referring to you head...:thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Here you go Sonny, maybe it’s not the earth that’s flat

A3DAC25A-63F7-464B-9740-053A21761F9B.jpeg

You’re completely mental. Everyone knows that the sun is an isosceles triangle made of flaming wine gums. Tchaa.

30 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

You’re completely mental. Everyone knows that the sun is an isosceles triangle made of flaming wine gums. Tchaa.

Just waiting now for Paul’s gob shite’s ramblings...

Having faith that your car will be able to drive at 30 mph as you press the accelerator is very different from religious faith. It is based on repeated testing and a scientific/engineering understanding of a well understood system. 

It is the same with the shape of the Earth. Repeated observation of how the stars move as you do or don’t change your position on the Earth, sunrise and sunset times, the height of the sun at midday, the dip of the horizon, the observation that you can see further the higher you are above the horizon, Foucault pendulums, surveying, satellite observations etc etc etc. 

There is nothing religious about understanding that the world is a globe.  Our continued finessing of the Earth’s shape as observations from astronomy, surveying and geodesy is a prime example of how science understands its limits and improves the accuracy of its measurements over time.

The people being religious are the flat Earthers clinging to their views in contradiction to the evidence. 

As Tim Minchin put it:

Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. 

Religious Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.

Done any observations yet, Paul.

10 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

Having faith that your car will be able to drive at 30 mph as you press the accelerator is very different from religious faith. It is based on repeated testing and a scientific/engineering understanding of a well understood system. 

It is the same with the shape of the Earth. Repeated observation of how the stars move as you do or don’t change your position on the Earth, sunrise and sunset times, the height of the sun at midday, the dip of the horizon, the observation that you can see further the higher you are above the horizon, Foucault pendulums, surveying, satellite observations etc etc etc. 

There is nothing religious about understanding that the world is a globe.  Our continued finessing of the Earth’s shape as observations from astronomy, surveying and geodesy is a prime example of how science understands its limits and improves the accuracy of its measurements over time.

The people being religious are the flat Earthers clinging to their views in contradiction to the evidence. 

As Tim Minchin put it:

I would also imagine that photos taken of the earth from the ISS may go someway to dispel that fruitloop's ramblings...

4 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

As Tim Minchin put it:

PGW persistently gives voice to a fixation that those among us who are prepared to accept that the Earth is spherical do so as a consequence of religious faith, in the face of zero evidence to back up his claim. (Having said that, zero evidence is an environment in which PGW is very much at home). As you’ve pointed out China, the quasi-religious zealotry being displayed is actually evident in PGWs bone-headed refusal to test his belief in flatness by applying any of the 101 ways you an others have suggested/offered. Freud himself described religious belief as “obsessive, compulsive neurosis”. Various studies have demonstrated links between religious fervour and social exclusion, anxiety, feelings of infallibility and psychosis. Much as it’s tempting to mock the nonsense spouted by PGW (I’m not suggesting you have China) there’s a growing body of evidence in his (seemingly increasingly) inchoate postings that he’s an individual to be pitied. 

Archived