Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

On 4/3/2015 at 1:57 PM, Vulgarian said:

Can people like Gerry ever change do you think, or are they doomed to be stupid for the rest of their lives?

here it is! and who could be more apt with a name like vulgar ian. there were borderline efforts before this, but this is the first, of many. 

here's manx with the response:

"That's an unkind comment and not called for.

Gerry's post number 153 raises an interesting view and although I haven't seen a link regards this, it does raise a question if this is true"

here's my first post of the same reasoning

"well said manxy I have noticed a lot of this behaviour from the same people, in various threads. they don't know how to accept other people's views. right or wrong has nothing to do with having a view point. no need to agree with Gerry but at least be kind. i'm sure none of you have circumnavigated the world or been in space, so how would any of you have a better idea than Gerry? just because you've been spoon fed nasa, official mainstream toss, or listened to other people's theories. I haven't been around the world or in space so I don't know the truth and I don't care either. I like the discussion and the info from both sides. we never had a proper discussion about it at school as the flat earth was ridiculed as an idea. so no discussion available. now after finding out so much we were told was lies, i'm open to all discussion about life. I trust you lot more than I trust the national curriculum. thanks for the info people. try to be nice about it, it's just info x"

thus leaving the trolls without any mud to sling. maybe they will now sling their hook instead. read the first 10 pages and that's who you have to thank for responding, as they are perfectly entitled to.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, paul's got wright said:

Oh like a unified theory! Good idea, but do you mean round or spherical?  Coins are round

Well, spherical. Globe like.

The Earth ain't flat, but it used to be, or flatish and random shape-like. As with all the other planets.

I'm asking how come they is all now spherical.

52 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Well, spherical. Globe like.

The Earth ain't flat, but it used to be, or flatish and random shape-like. As with all the other planets.

What makes you think they are?

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

A sphere minimises the surface area to volume ratio of a solid.  So under the influence of its own gravity alone, a mass will attempt to clump together in the smallest possible volume, resulting in a sphere.

Spin the mass and then you get an apparent centrifugal force which increases with distance from the axis of rotation, so you get a bulge at the widest point resulting in the infamous oblate spheroid.

Planets don't act like ideal liquids, they have hard bits, gloopy magma, tides, winds and other stuff which means that the actual shape of the earth (the geoid) is different to an idealised geometrical figure, i.e. the reference ellipsoid.

GPS systems use different models of the geoid (reference geoids) with extra bits in, to give more precise measurements than you would get if you used the reference ellipsoid alone.

ETA: Hope this helps.  Just realised it might have been a rhetorical question! :unsure:

""well said manxy I have noticed a lot of this behaviour from the same people, in various threads. they don't know how to accept other people's views. right or wrong has nothing to do with having a view point. no need to agree with Gerry but at least be kind"

there you go the b'stard, can you read? that's from my first post in here. now are you prepared to apologise like a real man? i doubt it but i would warmly welcome such a gesture. then we can stick to the science

15 minutes ago, paul's got wright said:

""well said manxy I have noticed a lot of this behaviour from the same people, in various threads. they don't know how to accept other people's views. right or wrong has nothing to do with having a view point. no need to agree with Gerry but at least be kind"

there you go the b'stard, can you read? that's from my first post in here. now are you prepared to apologise like a real man? i doubt it but i would warmly welcome such a gesture. then we can stick to the science

That's actually your second post on this thread, we want to stick facts don't we.

14 hours ago, paul's got wright said:

oh no quick quick, close it down close it down!!! don't let people talk about it in blackpool shut the paper down!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/beautiful-horizon-is-proof-of-flat-earth-1-9138157

an interesting choice of words here, from the article

"Members of the Flat Earth Network say video footage of Blackpool’s horizon, showing the offshore wind farm and Isle of Man, proved that the Earth is indeed flat, despite popular scientific opinion that it is spherical."

populr scientific opinion. see, they have no worries calling a spade a spade!

2 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

A sphere minimises the surface area to volume ratio of a solid.  So under the influence of its own gravity alone, a mass will attempt to clump together in the smallest possible volume, resulting in a sphere.

Spin the mass and then you get an apparent centrifugal force which increases with distance from the axis of rotation, so you get a bulge at the widest point resulting in the infamous oblate spheroid.

Planets don't act like ideal liquids, they have hard bits, gloopy magma, tides, winds and other stuff which means that the actual shape of the earth (the geoid) is different to an idealised geometrical figure, i.e. the reference ellipsoid.

GPS systems use different models of the geoid (reference geoids) with extra bits in, to give more precise measurements than you would get if you used the reference ellipsoid alone.

ETA: Hope this helps.  Just realised it might have been a rhetorical question! :unsure:

Yes it was rhetorical, and I thank you for your excellent answer.

2 hours ago, paul's got wright said:

What makes you think they are?

They just are. Well most of 'em. But they never used to be. They didn't change overnight and neither did philosophies as a result. To all intents and purposes the earth is indeed flat. Flat. Flat. Flat.

Until it's not. And it ain't there yet.

13 minutes ago, paul's got wright said:

just received a text saying radio 2 got something about flat earth on if anyone's interested 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2

quick quick get radio 2 shut down the b'stard!!! boycott jeremy vine! ha ha what a complete and utter worrier!!!

Archived