Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

19 minutes ago, wrighty said:

... just as I couldn’t teach my cats to solve a Rubik’s cube...

You will actually achieve this before PGW contributes a coherent post.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Me, Dilli, Neil Down and, I would venture, Chinahand for starters. There’s 40% of your answer Paul - I’ll let Wrighty deal with the remaining 60%.

Name 10 people who live on the isle of man that would. Otherwise its fairytales as usual from ye who keepeth the faith

13 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Me, Dilli, Neil Down and, I would venture, Chinahand for starters. There’s 40% of your answer Paul - I’ll let Wrighty deal with the remaining 60%.

Paul must have the wettest trousers in town, he pisses in the wind so much.

( that could be proved scientifically )

3 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

I may be wrong but I don't think that any poster at any time on this entire thread has ever claimed that the earth is flat. Many experts on here missing the point entirely. 

I think it's more that you have missed many posts.

27 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

That team would struggle to scrape fifth in the annual manxforums Christmas party pub quiz.

Well the annual quiz is actually at Easter. That will explain why you always come first second third and fourth at xmas. 

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Do flat earthers also believe in Nibiru? I only ask because there was an article today about a newly discovered dwarf planet with an odd orbit that could suggest a planet 9.

Unless the planet is disc like in shape, it's of no interest to PGW...

2 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Very.

Mainly because he is arguing now with two of the smartest posters on here. Pretty sure Wrighty and Chinahand could tie PGW in knots if they wanted to. :lol:

They are doing...

3 hours ago, wrighty said:

He’s not arguing with me - I saw an opportunity for a mildly amusing observation, I wouldn’t contribute to this thread otherwise. 

PGW is being deliberately obtuse for sport, either that or he has a screw loose. Either way there is no point arguing with him. I’ve asked China before why he seemingly continues to do so. In the 277 pages of this thread so far it is clear that, just as I couldn’t teach my cats to solve a Rubik’s cube, no-one is going to get PGW to post anything approaching rational discourse. 

I'm not really sure why I contribute so much to this thread.  I agree there isn't much point as PGW is mostly a very difficult person to communicate with.  It is interesting seeing him occasionally reply in a more honest way as he did to Gerry's recent posts.

I think there are two main reasons I keep coming back to it - firstly because the horizon is such a bloody obvious thing.  How someone can live on the Rock and pretend the horizon doesn't exist is beyond me - and to then claim there is some mystery that the distance to it varies when the refraction of light in mirages and temperature inversions is so well known.  If the heat of a summer road causes you to see an image of the sky shimmering in front of you is it so odd that the cold sea does the opposite? 

Flat earthers to me have a strange gullibility coupled with an odd stubbornness; why so accepting of nonsense but so unaccepting of education.  That combination does infuriate and challenges the part of me which wants to explain the wonders that science have been able to show us.

The second reason is that it is fun to try to find answers to their unreasonable demands.  Paul has been recently demanding PROOF that the world rotates - there are Foucault's pendula, but as ever Flat Earthers claim all sorts of bogus reasons to reject them, so I remember learning about diurnal aberration and post about that.  My latest discovery is a Bravais pendulum, which I have to admit to thinking is quite wonderful.

Rather than having a pendulum swing backwards and forwards in an arc through the centre of rotation, send it off in a circle about the centre to create what is called a conical pendulum - the string of the pendulum creates a cone shape:

conpen2.gif

If the string is long enough and the circle small then the small angle approximation means that the time it takes to rotate will be basically constant even as it decays due to air resistance.

Set the pendulum swinging one way and time how long it takes to do 100 rotations, then stop it and set it off the other way.

The time's will be ever so slightly different - about a 10th of a second for a 14m pendulum.  Why?

Because of the rotation of the earth.  

The link above shows you how to use that difference to calculate the earth's period of rotation - which we know from the rotation of the stars in a sidereal day. 

PGW, do you get what a sidereal day is?

I personally think it is wonderful you can do such a simple experiment and by doing some simple maths get a result which agrees with the motion of the stars, but not the sun revolving in the skies above us.

Most knowledgeable people know about a Foucault Pendulum, but I hadn't heard of a Bravais Pendulum until PGW got me sufficiently annoyed with his insistence to be spoon fed for me to go and explore.

I'm really glad I did.  What a wonderful experiment - it has a beautiful elegance, just letting a ball on a wire spin around and measuring a difference in the time of it rotations whether it is spun clockwise or anticlockwise due to the rotation of the earth.

Finding out such things is a genuine pleasure.

As is something like this - an article written in 1913 looking at other experiments to prove the Earth's rotation involving everything from dropping weights off towers and down mines, to Foucault and Bravais.

Fascinating stuff.

Archived