Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

It read to me the observer was looking towards the top of a 50 foot high ship, not looking at a nearly 900 foot tower.

I had the units correct, I could only get a distance of 78Km using your method until i put in the missing nearly 900 feet above sea level for the observer, So am I correct that "the top of the 50 foot ship can bee seen from a distance of 78Km when the observer is nearly 900 feet above sea level"

See the way you presented (in my opinion) was a little deceptive, it also shows the Douglas head to great orme, with observer 35m above sea level and the target being approx 165m above sea level visible to less than 70km, whereas the distance is 98KM.

Is this where mirages come in now?

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gerry, Manxie raised how far out at sea can the top of the tower at Notre Dame Antwerp be seen.

A reasonable estimate is 78km under usual atmospheric conditions and if the bridge of the ship is 50 ft off the ground.

Someone at the top of the tower would also be able to see the bridge of the ship - though the rest of it would be hull down.

All I have done is answer Manxie's question, I am not being deceptive in what I've done. Manxie gave the information Eric Dubay provided I used those figures to work out my calcs.

Also, I think you will only be able to see the Great Orme Head from Douglas head with a temperature inversion or other atmospheric effect - those things are pretty common so it's not impossible, but generally it is too far to be seen. Have you got a Gotcha on me for saying this ... gosh!

You do realize the factor is based on well established optical physics?

I've already tried to link to explanations of it for you - link.

I've also linked to this site that looks at how different lapse rates etc will change things. It is explained here and you can actually go and put in your own figures based on met office reports and see how accurately it fits - here.

These are models - simplifications of reality the output from which can then be compared to reality to see how well they work.

It's called science. It's hard work and you have to go out and take measurements to see how well your theories fit with reality.

I've not checked your maths but if the water is cold creating an inversion it is perfectly possible to see the Great Orme - there are multiple well attested reports of seeing hundreds of km, and when you look at the physics there is no discrepancy - light bends when moving through media of different densities. That isn't something we don't know, really.

Again look at third link in my post above - it will not let you put in figures that do not fit with the known behaviour of the atmosphere. With science you can't just make things up - you have to be grounded in observation, and have repeatedly verified and looked at issues which can confound your models.

Archived