Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

How exactly do flat earthers explain Ferdinand Magellan circumnavigating the world? Or the fact that a number of nations are now spacefaring and have taken plenty of videos and photographs of the earth from space? Surely the Americans, Chinese, and the Soviet and post-Soviet Russians aren't all in on an international cover-up. Also, where is the nearest edge of the world and why don't we hear stories of ships falling off the edge or encountering an unpassable barrier? Sorry, but the more I think about it, the more ridiculous it is.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 Maps below, one from the flat earth Society and one is the UN logo, do they look familiar? Do you think they did this as a joke?

Flat_earth.pngunseal04.gif

Gerry, just checking- do you seriously not know what these maps are?

Do you really think they are actual representations of a flat disc which accurately represents distance in 2 dimensios. IE do you really think that the distance from SA to Australia is multiple times larger than the distance across the continental USA? Really?

We could move on to canals and railways, seems the rest went over Isaacs head..

You are a head. What on earth do canals and railways have to do with anything? The fact is, the earth has been circumnavigated from east to west and west to east, and pole to pole. There is no edge or barrier (visible or invisible) surrounding the oceans. It is a sphere.

We could move on to canals and railways, seems the rest went over Isaacs head..

You are a head. What on earth do canals and railways have to do with anything? The fact is, the earth has been circumnavigated from east to west and west to east, and pole to pole. There is no edge or barrier (visible or invisible) surrounding the oceans. It is a sphere.

canals and railways have a lot to do with it if you are an engineer that builds these things...

You will soon have the answer but probably wont understand it...

Gerry, 2 questions.

Firstly, you do you seriously believe that this rocket launch suddenly switches to CGI part way through the launch?

Secondly, what does down mean? Understanding this might be relevant before you start going on about canals.

2 Maps below, one from the flat earth Society and one is the UN logo, do they look familiar? Do you think they did this as a joke?

Flat_earth.pngunseal04.gif

Gerry, just checking- do you seriously not know what these maps are?

Do you really think they are actual representations of a flat disc which accurately represents distance in 2 dimensios. IE do you really think that the distance from SA to Australia is multiple times larger than the distance across the continental USA? Really?

I put these two maps side by side just to point out that the UN copied an old map that was used by a flat earther dated at least prior to 1901, I thought it was curious that they would pick such a map and in their logo there is no Antarctic.also.

I do doubt its accuracy,,,at this time.

Gerry, 2 questions.

Firstly, you do you seriously believe that this rocket launch suddenly switches to CGI part way through the launch?

Secondly, what does down mean? Understanding this might be relevant before you start going on about canals.

First: I couldn't find a rocket launch at that link.

Second: this would be complicated on a ball spinning in a vacuum, etc, ect, more intuitive if on a motionless Plane than on a Plane(t)

What is your understanding of "down"?

As I've explained before the fact that it is a spinning ball makes it easier to get into orbit. They launch the rockets eastwards so the rotation of the earth is added to the rockets ground speed to generate the centripetal force to overcome the pull of gravity.

Another way of explaining it is that a rocket in low Earth orbit is still really close to the earth's surface and is still being pulled down by gravity - it is just moving fast enough that it falls the same amount as the earth curves, staying a constant height from the centre of the earth.

Try reading Whatif from xkcd.

Archived