Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

Yes, they risked the lives of the Astronauts because the US was locked in a space race with Russia.  The US did not want to lose.  Did you not notice how many people on the Apollo programme were from military backgrounds? 

Once the cold war ended the political desire to fund further moon missions and risk lives faded.  Focus was shifted to the shuttle programme and more and more non military personnel went into orbit to conduct experiments and learn about the effects of space exploration and micro gravity.

Now when looking at moon missions they can not take the same risks.  The public would react very differently to a loss of life. 

The bottom line though is that there is no political desire to fund more missions to the moon.  Mars? Maybe and that may just be what gets us back to the moon as it would offer a better starting point than the Earths surface. 

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then yeah, I think they took a huge risk with all of their astronauts lives. And continue to do so. Rightfully. Spaceflight is hugely dangerous, that rocket failure yesterday is further proof of that. That guy sees it as a problem now because it was a problem then too, its a huge band of cosmic radiation. Just because something is difficult and dangerous doesn't mean we shouldn't do it. It is cheaper, easier and safer to send a robot, and that'll be the case for at least the rest of my lifetime.

24 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Then yeah, I think they took a huge risk with all of their astronauts lives. And continue to do so. Rightfully. Spaceflight is hugely dangerous, that rocket failure yesterday is further proof of that. That guy sees it as a problem now because it was a problem then too, its a huge band of cosmic radiation. Just because something is difficult and dangerous doesn't mean we shouldn't do it. It is cheaper, easier and safer to send a robot, and that'll be the case for at least the rest of my lifetime.

so they went through no problem before, but now its a problem? it doesnt make sense given they still  intend to send humans to mars etc? if they no longer send humans beyond low earth orbit, that would be a regression in exploration. not what nasa gets paid for its supposed to have been the space age by now!

Re Van Allen Belt video

My initial question is to why do they lose communication over the Indian ocean? Why would a satellite connection be lost then? One cynical theory is that communications will be redirected to a video studio and high tech computer programming so that people will not realise this on reconnection and believe that what they see is true. Far fetched maybe and grant that, but feasible all the same. 

Keep the connection and remove the doubt

“We must solve these challenges before we send people through this region of space” otherwise the risks involved are too high for the future of space exploration. 

It's pretty obvious really. You seem to be struggling with basic comprehension and interpretation.

5 minutes ago, paul's got wright said:

so they went through no problem before, but now its a problem? it doesnt make sense given they still  intend to send humans to mars etc? if they no longer send humans beyond low earth orbit, that would be a regression in exploration. not what nasa gets paid for its supposed to have been the space age by now!

They didn't go through no problem, it was a huge problem, they blew up a nuclear bomb in space in an apparent attempt to deal with the problem amongst other things.

Discussing this with you is very hard work, you go on about how great your teachers thought you were at school, maybe you need to go back?

I know I should.

3 minutes ago, manxy said:

Re Van Allen Belt video

My initial question is to why do they lose communication over the Indian ocean? Why would a satellite connection be lost then? One cynical theory is that communications will be redirected to a video studio and high tech computer programming so that people will not realise this on reconnection and believe that what they see is true. Far fetched maybe and grant that, but feasible all the same. 

Keep the connection and remove the doubt

Keep taking the meds. manxie. Please.

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

“We must solve these challenges before we send people through this region of space” otherwise the risks involved are too high for the future of space exploration. 

It's pretty obvious really. You seem to be struggling with basic comprehension and interpretation.

They didn't go through no problem, it was a huge problem, they blew up a nuclear bomb in space in an apparent attempt to deal with the problem amongst other things.

Discussing this with you is very hard work, you go on about how great your teachers thought you were at school, maybe you need to go back?

I know I should.

Not at all Its too ambiguous as it stands, with mr bean not even knowing he went through them til the audience member told him!

Doesnt that seem unrealistic, the astronaut not knowing til he was told by the man asking the question?

And isn't it unrealistic that modern astronauts would be bound at low earth orbit, but the pioneers went the furthest, and nasa claim to be aiming for mars!

So space travel has regressed for humans?

Archived