Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, paul's got wright said:

But didnt you notice the shadows were the same in both examples of the three wells china?

No Paul, they aren't the same.

This is exactly the same as in Antonio's video with the Spaghetti.  I very patiently went through the maths  (I even drew pictures!) for you showing how reality is not predicted by a flat earth model but is via a spherical model and how the angles are different between a flat earth and the globe itself.

Measuring the angle to Polaris is directly analogous to measuring the sun at noon, with no difference in the mathematical analysis.

And did eratosthenes use 3 wells in his observations or 2?

He used two, but there are lots of other observations (ships going over the horizon, eclipse shadows etc) which meant it was reasonable to use the results to calculate the size of the globe - certainly if these observations had indicated the earth was flat, he could have used the two measurements to calculate how far the sun was from the earth - and the result, if the world was flat, would have been a short distance in the thousands of kms, not the millions we can measure via the parallax of the sun.  As has been explained before the two models do not produce the same results and hence we can use observations to see which more closely matches reality. 

Observations show that the sun is not close to the earth and the earth is a sphere - with 2 wells you can't for certain prove that, though you can use other observations to justify your choice. With 3 you will know for certain which is which - the results align with the predictions from the globe and do not align with the results from a flat earth.  Quelle surprise.

26 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

In the video at 5:18 the shadows in both examples, with 3 wells,  look exactly the same china. Watch it.

so if he only viewed one well, how could he come to his conclusion, given both are viable according to tyson?

clearly not the scientific proof some believed it to be.  So he didnt prove it, he assumed.

not quite science is it china? Its a weak offering in any case, where flat earth mstches the observation, as neil tyson says in the video.

Paul - really you are grasping at straws ... "look exactly the same" isn't the issue.  Do the maths - the angles are different.  Claiming a cartoon youtube illustration allows you to definitely make statements is sadly the only level of science you seem capable of.

Eratosthenes viewed two wells.  In science you make assumptions, you build a model based on those assumptions, you measure reality to see how closely the model predicts reality.  Eratosthenes measured the globe to an accuracy of about 15%.  Sneer all you like.  Could you do any better?  These are experiments you could do very very easily - go and measure some shadows at midday.

1 hour ago, paul's got wright said:

Here's s the canada conference, Denver's next. Such a popular scientific topic you see nihl x

Is there any connection between Canada decriminalising cannabis and the flat earth brigade having a "do" there ?:rolleyes:

47 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

Paul - really you are grasping at straws ... "look exactly the same" isn't the issue.  Do the maths - the angles are different.  Claiming a cartoon youtube illustration allows you to definitely make statements is sadly the only level of science you seem capable of.

Eratosthenes viewed two wells.  In science you make assumptions, you build a model based on those assumptions, you measure reality to see how closely the model predicts reality.  Eratosthenes measured the globe to an accuracy of about 15%.  Sneer all you like.  Could you do any better?  These are experiments you could do very very easily - go and measure some shadows at midday.

Its the accompanying video thag he narrates the example to! Are they not exactly the same in the video he narrates china?

In both examples with 3 wells. They are not numbered nor are the angles represented in numbers. My point stands they are the same. Look at 5:18 dont deny it.

Science is about making scientific predictions, which are then tested in experiment. No assumptions involved at all, as per the scientific method. You should really look it up china. If it disagrees with experiment its wrong.

I didnt make any claims to definitive truth of ghe matter i merely commented on the video china. You distract from the glaringly obvious fact that you and others proposed Eratosthenes as some kind of scientific proof when its nonesense assumption, presupposition. Not science so out the window that old chestnut goes unfortunately, for the religious types here.

If its a genuine exchange, which it seems to be, then its just another sign of the poularity of the subject.  John smiths globe lie tour ended with a talk at a high school, i will post the link.

Its a widely accepted subject for people from opposing sides of the debate. Not everyone reacts like some of the trolls in here to the topic. They actually enjoy learning the opposing views and even things they never knew about their own position. And its popular for that reason, people are very interested in the discussion. Thats why there are so many channels on youtube about it, forums dedicated to it, songs written about it and constant uploads keeping the progress up to date.

13 hours ago, Chinahand said:

China - seriously, why do you bother? You’re dealing with an imbecile. Let’s cut a deal; starting today I’ll attempt to teach my neighbour’s Labradoodle the “Friends, Romans, countrymen...” speech from Julius Caesar. You crack on with Mr. “I’ve found another winning YouTube video and by the way you’re all religious freaks” and at Christmas we’ll compare notes and see who’s making progress and who isn’t.

Archived