Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

4 hours ago, Uhtred said:

China - seriously, why do you bother? You’re dealing with an imbecile. Let’s cut a deal; starting today I’ll attempt to teach my neighbour’s Labradoodle the “Friends, Romans, countrymen...” speech from Julius Caesar. You crack on with Mr. “I’ve found another winning YouTube video and by the way you’re all religious freaks” and at Christmas we’ll compare notes and see who’s making progress and who isn’t.

My money is on Uhtred. In fact I’ll bet he teaches the dog to sing it

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eratosthenes did not use two wells.

He was Head of the famous library in Alexandria. One day he read a scroll that had come in that stated that at a certain date and time there was a well in Syene (now Aswan) that had no shadow in it. Just the reflection of the sun. So the sun was directly overhead. At the appointed time he had a pole put up and observed it marking where the shadow moved to. Eventually the length of the shadow reached it's nearest to the pole and then moved out again.

So the sun was overhead in Syene but his pole cast a shadow. He figured out that this could only happen if the planet was round. So he measured the angle from the top of the pole to the nearest point of the shadow - call it "X". He then got somebody to pace out the distance between his pole and Syene - "Y".

So it was 360 / X * Y = circumference.

Not a bad effort for 200 BC using a stick, a paceman and his brain.

He was out by a couple of percent. But he had no way of knowing that....

I would like a flat-earther to explain how the tides work?

5 hours ago, Uhtred said:

China - seriously, why do you bother? You’re dealing with an imbecile. Let’s cut a deal; starting today I’ll attempt to teach my neighbour’s Labradoodle the “Friends, Romans, countrymen...” speech from Julius Caesar. You crack on with Mr. “I’ve found another winning YouTube video and by the way you’re all religious freaks” and at Christmas we’ll compare notes and see who’s making progress and who isn’t.

He likes the topic clearly, that's why we are discussing its poularity. What game are you on about? Winning yt vid?

The videos are current updates on the subject you absolute wally! This is a forum and you are not obliged to read threads you have no interest in, or post in them. Some of us enjoy this thread, do one if ye dont like it ye big girl 

Did you make the religious freaks quote up or can you cite it for us?

39 minutes ago, P.K. said:

He was Head of the famous library in Alexandria. One day he read a scroll that had come in that stated that at a certain date and time there was a well in Syene (now Aswan) that had no shadow in it. Just the reflection of the sun. So the sun was directly overhead. At the appointed time he had a pole put up and observed it marking where the shadow moved to. Eventually the length of the shadow reached it's nearest to the pole and then moved out again.

He figured out that this could only happen if the planet was round. So he measured the angle from the top of the pole to the nearest point of the shadow - call it "X". He then got somebody to pace out the distance between his pole and Syene - "Y".

Yes im well aware of the story and the complete lack of scientific proof it contains. It should not be proposed as scientific, but ignorant religious types still spew it as such. Pathetic. Tyson and v sauce both explain how both models can be fitted to the observations. No third well was measured hence its all assumption. Still waiting for the scientific experiment that proves the earth  spinning, if you could provide it, or anyone could that would be great.

I will see if i can find you any tide explanations/theories from the fe gang.

40 minutes ago, paul's got wright said:

Yes im well aware of the story and the complete lack of scientific proof it contains. It should not be proposed as scientific, but ignorant religious types still spew it as such. Pathetic. Tyson and v sauce both explain how both models can be fitted to the observations. No third well was measured hence its all assumption. Still waiting for the scientific experiment that proves the earth  spinning, if you could provide it, or anyone could that would be great.

I will see if i can find you any tide explanations/theories from the fe gang.

It IS proposed as scientific because it IS scientific.

At this distance the sun's rays are for all intents and purposes parallel.

Therefore the ONLY explanation for Eratosthenes' pole having a shadow throughout the day while the sun goes directly overhead in Syene is curvature of the earths surface.

QED

10 minutes ago, P.K. said:

It IS proposed as scientific because it IS scientific.

At this distance the sun's rays are for all intents and purposes parallel.

Therefore the ONLY explanation for Eratosthenes' pole having a shadow throughout the day while the sun goes directly overhead in Syene is curvature of the earths surface.

QED

"how can we use this observation to see if the earths curved?  we need another well. turns out we cant see the bottom of both wells at the same time.

what might explain this?  well there are TWO possible explanations. first we could have a FLAT earth...…"

nelly de grasse Tyson from  4:35 in the video I posted.

also to prove it neil uses 3 wells in his example, both examples show the same shadows!  Eratosthenes proved nish scientifically with his assumptions

2 hours ago, P.K. said:

So the sun was overhead in Syene but his pole cast a shadow. He figured out that this could only happen if the planet was round. So he measured the angle from the top of the pole to the nearest point of the shadow - call it "X". He then got somebody to pace out the distance between his pole and Syene - "Y".

Here is the link the show is live now. Anyone can join the link is under the video to join the panel

Go on an see how you get on with nathan when you tell him Eratosthenes proved we live on a ball!!!

They will laugh you off the debate. Poor zinder is currently receiving a few lessons from the lads. Hes just conceded his last point. I will give you a shoutout see if nathan thinks Eratosthenes prove the ball!

Theres another debate show usually starts soon after the first each day. No one has proved the ball on there, you certainly cant! you cant even provide it here, but i would love to listen if you dared to join with Eratosthenes as your proof!

3 hours ago, paul's got wright said:

He likes the topic clearly, that's why we are discussing its poularity. What game are you on about? Winning yt vid?

The videos are current updates on the subject you absolute wally! This is a forum and you are not obliged to read threads you have no interest in, or post in them. Some of us enjoy this thread, do one if ye dont like it ye big girl 

Did you make the religious freaks quote up or can you cite it for us?

The Labradoodle thinks you’re a twat too.

10 hours ago, paul's got wright said:

Yes im well aware of the story and the complete lack of scientific proof it contains.

You really don't learn do you Paul.  Proof is maths.  Evidence is science.  It is perfectly possible for a piece of evidence to be used by competing scientific theories.

You seem to have a bit of a bee in your bonnet about Eratosthenes and about Dr Tyson's video which correctly states you cannot get the results we do get for the angle of the sun at midday if the world was flat.

You can mis-represent the video as much as you like, but it clearly showed that what Eratosthenes did doesn't work on a flat earth, it shows you how to do the analysis and you can say things look the same til you are blue in the face, but that doesn't change the fact they aren't.

How do you think Eratosthenes came up with a circumference of the earth of 252,000 stadia?  Did he pray?  Did he dream it up from no where?  Did he make a guess.

Or did he via a series of simplifications and assumptions of a proposed model of the earth make a prediction of the size of the earth if those assumptions were reasonable?

Paul, are you really going to say that isn't a scientific process? 

Archived