Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The religious zealots who would undoubtedly follow, if the spherical earth was to be proposed?

Are we talkin mysgic meg predict or scientific prediction?

Do you even understand what a scientific prediction is china? I honestly dont think you do.

You seem to believe that assumption without experiment is science. What did richard feynman tell you?

If it disagrees with experiment then its wrong.

Doesnt matter who says it or how rich they are or how fancy they sound. What do you think an experiment is in science?

Its very simple, but you dont seem to get it china. You need it to be complicated to suit your faith. The reality is that its simple. So please tell me what you think a scientific experiment is. I am almost sure you will get it wrong

Paul, you are the one being dogmatic here.  Try to engage with how science is actually done - observations, theory, prediction/conclusion.  

I ask again - in a universe with a flat Earth the equivalent of Eratosthenes would be praised for using the evidence he saw to draw what conclusion, predict what?

Are you capable of working it out?  

And as always in science - what "more work is needed" would be asked for at the end of the flat-earth Eratosthenes' paper ... hint it is very similar to what needed to be done with the actual Eratosthenes' conclusions.

5 hours ago, paul's got wright said:

Oh your religious belief is being challenged by thousands of people on the internet, so you are upset? De dums you poor soldier!

You dont understand what measure means. You think imagination is science. And we are expected to believe that you have a hero from 2 hundred bc? You got pictures of him on your wall?

Do you often tell others of his heroics?

Mines gazza an i talk about him often. I also think about him when i watch football. I also watch his highlights quite often. Neither of them are heroes. 

Your pathetic attempt to personify and glorify a story, from a figure claimed to be from  200 bc, and the claim he is your hero, is nothing short of astounding. The flat earth debate would chew your story up and spit it out, as it doesn't have a shred of scientific validation. If it doesnt agree with experiment then its wrong and no amount of emotional fantasy or faux hero will change that fact. I genuinely pitty the fool on the hill.

Denigrate you say! How can one denigrate a story? This is a science question not philosophy. No experiment, no science.

Maths is a language, its not a method of scientific validation of a prediction via experiment. Its part of the formal sciences, not natural which is what we are discussing.

Can you just give us the scientific experiment that validates the hypothesis that the earth is spinning? Thanks

Laughable!

These days anyone could actually carry out this experiment in their own back garden and reproduce the same result.

This result proves conclusively that the earth is a sphere.

The important aspect of this experiment is that it is just so simple it can't be challenged by anything.

Hence the attemp to introduce religion etc into the debate in an attempt to muddy the waters = FAIL.

Eratosthenes = QED. 

2 hours ago, Chinahand said:

Paul, you are the one being dogmatic here.  Try to engage with how science is actually done - observations, theory, prediction/conclusion.  

I ask again - in a universe with a flat Earth the equivalent of Eratosthenes would be praised for using the evidence he saw to draw what conclusion, predict what?

Are you capable of working it out?  

Wrong china try again look up the scientific method. No theories involved. I asked you a simple question. The answer is you dont know what a scientific experiment is . its two words and you cant even manage it. Try again stop thinking you know, do simple research type it in google for gods sake man.

Paul, a simplification is that science is about drawing conclusions from evidence via simplifying models of reality.

Are you really so sure you can’t  draw any conclusions from Eratosphene’s observations if the world was flat. 

Are you willing to engage brain and analyse what Eratosthenes observed?

Give it a try. You might actually learn something. 

Should we start really simply - what did he observe?  Are you willing to answer just for once?

51 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Laughable!

These days anyone could actually carry out this experiment in their own back garden and reproduce the same result.

This result proves conclusively that the earth is a sphere.

The important aspect of this experiment is that it is just so simple it can't be challenged by anything.

Hence the attemp to introduce religion etc into the debate in an attempt to muddy the waters = FAIL.

Eratosthenes = QED. 

Excellent off you pop then and come back with your results proving the earth is an oblate spinning spheroid.

Cant wait.

In the mean time ive already posted the videos of v sauce and ndt agreeing that there are 2 conclusions eratosthenes could have came to, from his observations. Ive quoted ndt what more can i do if you just deny it?

I will quote v sauce directly from the video, this can be explained on a flat earth, clearly contradicting sagan. Just watch the video jesus christ almighty they both say you need a third well!!!

8 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

Paul, a simplification is that science is about drawing conclusions from evidence via simplifying models of reality.

Are you really so sure you can’t  draw any conclusions from Eratosphene’s observations if the world was flat. 

Are you willing to engage brain and analyse what Eratosthenes observed?

Give it a try. You might actually learn something. 

Should we start really simply - what did he observe?  Are you willing to answer just for once?

Wrong again you are too proud to admit you dont know and wont look it up. I posted it here and you accepted it!

Just look it up you are completely wrong and i will post the obvious two word description of what an experiment is when you calm down.

eratosthenes is old old news in fe china. Go on the flat earth debate, present it to the panel and see how far you get. Science assumes nothing china, its a method not a philosophy. Wake up x

12 minutes ago, paul's got wright said:

eratosthenes is old old news in fe china. 

If that’s the case you should have no problem dealing with it then, Paul. 

Come on then what did he observe?  You’re not fret to answer such a simple question are you?

Archived