Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back to our little man ... he started standing on one horizontal plain, but by digging out a huge mountain he's now standing on another one.

But he can now keep going and dig out another mountain's worth out of this one.

What's going to happen?

Well - carry on long enough ... something like this:

post-1364-0-21696900-1430260406_thumb.png

And now each plain is balanced - just like the two mountains cancelling each other out.

post-1364-0-06735300-1430260788_thumb.png

Each one feels horizontal, even though they each "fall" away" from the next one.

This is how Mr Dubay is simply not understanding very simple geophysics in his incorrect and ignorant statements about the Suez canal etc. He doesn't understand what "down" means - one end of the Suez canal isn't "down" compared to the other.

On the Earth, of course, the facets of each plane merge into a continuous curve.

It isn't exactly spherical and local gravitational anomalies due to mountains and denser or less dense rocks affects what is "down" and horizontal to a certain extent ... and scientists spend their lives trying to measure these in ever greater detail.

Here's a lovely example of the work they are doing:

Modern determination of vertical deflections using digital zenith cameras

Please do read it and look at the results. The authors want to do everything they can to reduce errors and get as accurate results as possible.

Do the Usual Suspects really think this is faked?

Can you please give some explanation as to why you think a group of German Scientists is building and taking this equipment to measure in exquisite detail how a plumbline changes its position on the Earth, but faking their results. Sorry but you are delusional if you think this is the case.

There is no other word for you. If you ignore these scientists work you are being willfully ignorant. and that is plain dumb.

csm_zenith_camera_4bdc229771_1_.gif

Has it not occurred to you that perhaps the distance traveled through the densest part of the atmosphere would be a little greater at such distances horizontally as opposed to vertically?

Well yes the light will be attenuated, but with a large enough mirror to collect the light and exposure times using state of the art squids you would be able to build up the image over a time period. You can also use different wavelengths of light, radar images combined together via inferometry etc etc. to reduce the attenuation

All this is very very basic astronomy and no real obstacle at all. How much dust do you think is between here and say the centre of the milky way ... oh I forgot you think every single research scientist is a liar and rather than using the billions of pounds worth of kit they make up their results on photoshop.

Tell me again how does your GPS work in your car ... and your Sky TV - why does your Sky dish point to one point in the sky again?

Please try and join up the dots Gerry . the bigger picture really isn't a flat earth.

There is no value in questioning the basic shape of the world.

Only the most ignorant, the most deluded or the most untrusting doubt that the bulk shape of the world is spheroidal.

Two hundred years ago it was worth debating whether the world was oblate or not and many great efforts were put in by surveyors and astronomers to make the observations necessary to understand this issue.

There were strange results (temperature inversions and atmospheric refractions such as seen at the Bedford Levels) and scientists put the work in to understand them. They are now understood. Understood in huge detail.

The internet is full of ignorant, deluded and untrusting people who think these issues haven't been solved and they raise them and claim to have found serious problems and issues which must be looked into. While the fact is these issues have been looked into and understood ... often hundreds of years ago.

The presence on the internet of ignorant people making great play of non-issues is not evidence that the earth is not spherical.

There is nothing wrong with ignorance.

But willful ignorance is a guaranteed way to put yourself at odds with reality.

Anyway ... back to our plane with a mountain on it

Are the doubters willing to accept that if you add a mountain on to a plain its gravity will pull the plum plumb line to the side and hence change what is "down"?

attachicon.gifplumline3.png

The science of Geodesy is very well established. Measuring vertical deflection has been a real challenge and a wonderful hidden area of science I am certain Gerry has never heard of, but which dedicated people have put decades of their lives trying to understand, working to see how a plum line will hang slightly differently all over the world.

china i appreciate your input. but let's just get some things straight here shall we. there is value to questioning something that you do not know the answer to. ok so stop being silly. if there isn't then how did the first person ever find out the shape of the earth? and it's hardly a lack of available knowledge is it. we're talking about looking for yourself from space or travelling around the world in a straight line through the south pole. for first hand "knowledge". you have not been to space mate so you don't know what it looks like ok. and why do you try to associate a lack of knowledge with a lack of trust, when they are completley different things?

didn't a lot of people trust lance armstrong? do they trust him now and were they previously mentally ill in your opinion? and don't a lot of people trust mcdonalds and coca cola. are they to be trusted china, in your master opinion? it means nothing to trust without good enough evidence for doing so, yet take a look around you china. look what people trust. you act as though we have all been here since copernicus, when you say the shape's been "known" for hundreds of years. i'm 34 so i have only just begun to look at the facts for myself on all sides of the ongoing debate. all of us are equal and it would help for you to remember that. i notice your revealing your true hand now as the information keeps coming. why are you and others so scared of information. are you so weak that you think it can affect you badly to know that people don't believe what you believe? you seem to hold a very strong faith, but please don't try to bully me because i'm not through my research as far as you. i'm learning china please don't try to hinder my progress with insults and your rabid, vague insinuations. it's not helpful for my education. thanks x

Has it not occurred to you that perhaps the distance traveled through the densest part of the atmosphere would be a little greater at such distances horizontally as opposed to vertically?

Well yes the light will be attenuated, but with a large enough mirror to collect the light and exposure times using state of the art squids you would be able to build up the image over a time period. You can also use different wavelengths of light, radar images combined together via inferometry etc etc. to reduce the attenuation

Do you have such equipment to do this or do we trust Government agencies ?

I also see you depend greatly on gravity with little man, I would like to know the actual masses on either side of the plumb line if possible ,

...we're talking about looking for yourself from space or travelling around the world in a straight line through the south pole. for first hand "knowledge". you have not been to space mate so you don't know what it looks like ok.

By this logic nobody can know they're mortal because they haven't experienced death. Nobody can know that a crocodile could kill them because they haven't been killed by one. Nobody could know Diego Maradona exists if they haven't seen him in the flesh.

All this is very very basic astronomy and no real obstacle at all. How much dust do you think is between here and say the centre of the milky way ... oh I forgot you think every single research scientist is a liar and rather than using the billions of pounds worth of kit they make up their results on photoshop.

Tell me again how does your GPS work in your car ... and your Sky TV - why does your Sky dish point to one point in the sky again?

Please try and join up the dots Gerry . the bigger picture really isn't a flat earth.

http://cluesforum.info/viewtopic.php?p=2373828

more info here to the contary china x

http://cluesforum.info/viewtopic.php?p=2373828

more info here to the contary china x

please don't say i'm mentally ill for using google. maybe you think google's got a problematic, lack of trust and are scared of your "reality"? because they dare to provide a platform containing information opposing your beliefs? x

...we're talking about looking for yourself from space or travelling around the world in a straight line through the south pole. for first hand "knowledge". you have not been to space mate so you don't know what it looks like ok.

By this logic nobody can know they're mortal because they haven't experienced death. Nobody can know that a crocodile could kill them because they haven't been killed by one. Nobody could know Diego Maradona exists if they haven't seen him in the flesh.

which logic sausages? x

China: it would be helpful if I knew the mass of the mountain and also the angle of the plumb deviating from straight down?

And I am sorry but if anyone thinks they can see 1000+++ miles horizontal with any sort of clarity is delusional..

which logic sausages? x

Good point, there's definitely a lack of it.

which logic sausages? x

Good point, there's definitely a lack of it.

oh ok so it is sausage logic then. right. so by sausage logic all drugs should be legal as no one who banned them takes them so that's how they know they should be banned. thanks for clearing that up. are you from portugal by any chance?

Archived