Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

10 hours ago, Chinahand said:

Now Paul - let's try using our equation:

y = h tan(atan(x/h) + 1) - x

Now IF the earth is flat, if light travels in straight lines, if the sun is 6000 km vertically above the earth then quite definitely if you are 500 miles away from the point on the earth vertically below the sun you will have to move a further 105.6 (and a bit) km away for the angle up to the sun to be reduced by 1 degree.

That is a factual, causal relationship.  The change in the angle measured up to the sun is caused by you moving that distance across the surface of the flat earth - if the world is actually the same as we have assumed.  Obviously if it isn't then this will not happen, but if it is it will.

I am not saying anything controversial in saying this.

10 hours ago, paul's got wright said:

Yes but mathematical variables are not scientific variables china, they are not physical things you can observe and measure tangibly. You are not going to calculate reality china x

Paul, you measure an angle (or a shadow length) and then move (from point x to point x+y) until when you measure the angle again it has changed by a certain amount.  These are all physical, measurable things.

You are being dogmatically unreasonable if you cannot see we are reasonably following the Rochester University program.

I. The scientific method has four steps

1. Observation and description of a phenomenon or group of phenomena.

2. Formulation of an hypothesis to explain the phenomena. In physics, the hypothesis often takes the form of a causal mechanism or a mathematical relation.

3. Use of the hypothesis to predict the existence of other phenomena, or to predict quantitatively the results of new observations.

4. Performance of experimental tests of the predictions by several independent experimenters and properly performed experiments.

We have observed that the angle up to the (midday) sun changes as you move about on the surface of the earth (1).  We have formulated a hypothesis to explain this - the angle changes because of the changing distances between us and the sun and the height of the sun in the sky; and we have developed that into a mathematical relation between the physical things we are measuring (2).  There are of course multiple other hypothesis we could have come to (see later ;-)), but for the moment this is our hypothesis.

We have a dependent variable (y, how much further we will have to move to change the angle by 1 degree), an independent variable (x, where we are now) which we can freely alter, and the height of the sun (h) which is going to become important in a while as we move onto the next step in the scientific process - 3 - but before getting there, I wanted to lay it out as clearly as possible for you.

I am following Rochester Universities schema and though, as with all such schema, it is an ideal which does miss parts of the messy reality that science is done by people and is a hugely complex endeavour, is a perfectly reasonable basis for us to work with.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Do you seriously believe for one moment that you’re going to receive a cogent reply to that?

Not really - I'm expecting sneering, dismissal, successful winding up of the peanut gallery (and occasionally myself) and lots of stupid youtube videos.  IE PGW's typical contributions to this thread, but I'm going to lay out the scientific process started by Eratosthenes despite it.

11 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

But videos, blogs, articles etc about FE are stupid and nobody takes them seriously.

Gullible, ignorant people do.  There’s nothing wrong with being ignorant (we are all ignorant of vast areas of human endeavour), but when you get to be wilfully ignorant you've crossed the line into stupid town.

43 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

Not really - I'm expecting sneering, dismissal, successful winding up of the peanut gallery (and occasionally myself) and lots of stupid youtube videos.  IE PGW's typical contributions to this thread, but I'm going to lay out the scientific process started by Eratosthenes despite it.

Fair enough. 

9 hours ago, Chinahand said:

Gullible, ignorant people do.  There’s nothing wrong with being ignorant (we are all ignorant of vast areas of human endeavour), but when you get to be wilfully ignorant you've crossed the line into stupid town.

And then there's the lies that you conceal china, but hey, here's something for the puppets to enjoy 

46 minutes ago, manxy said:

And then there's the lies that you conceal china, but hey, here's something for the puppets to enjoy 

Oh manxy you are funny, thanks for that.

Anyway,you can watch a giant rocket take off on one of those parabolic curves to the fake ISS live tomorrow morning around 9.It'll be on ustream somewhere, check it out. It is allegedly carrying 7 tonnes of supplies including a really clever plastic recycling 3d printer. Look forward to it disappearing into the Bermuda Triangle.

2 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

She would have been locked up not that long ago for the way her mind works.

(A) You assume the mind works...I’m less convinced.

(B) You forget the ducking stool.

Archived