Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Chinahand said:

Of course a flat earth isn't the only hypothesis we could develop.  There are as many hypotheses as we have the imagination to think up; and without experimental data they are equally valid, no matter how barmy or reasonable.

So what was Eratosthenes' hypothesis - well we've become across this earlier:

1. The earth is a sphere.
  2. Light rays travel in straight lines
  3. Light rays are parallel coming from the distant sun

With these assumptions we would get a diagram like this:

Maths4.thumb.png.fc353989ddef7ed2f3725435feb0562b.png

Now Paul, if the earth has a certain circumference what is the relationship between x and y involving the circumference C.

What is the relationship between where you are on the sphere, a distance x from O, where the angle up to the sun is θ, and the point a further y along the surface of the earth where the angle has reduced to θ-1.

In the past you've claimed the angles shown on a flat earth and a spherical one are the same.  Fancy actually doing the maths and seeing if this is the case?

So is anyone willing to say how y depends on x for a sphere with a circumference (great circle) of C?

How does the distance y: how far you have to move to reduce the angle up to the sun (at midday) by 1 degree depend on x the distance you are (directly North or South) from the sub solar point, on a sphere with circumference C. 

Oh and Paul, this IS a trick question by the way. 

10 hours ago, paul's got wright said:

Relax dilly, enjoy a bit of herbert x

www.naturalphilosophy.org/site/harryricker/2015/05/25/herbert-dingle-maverick-scientist-and-anti-einstein-philosopher-of-science

IP address gives error. 

Do you want to learn how to embed a link?

Find the webpage you want and copy it’s IP address.

In MF Type in the name you want for the link and select/highlight it 

Select the “chain” icon in the editor tools boxes above the area the area you type comments into. 

A dialogue box will appear paste the IP address into it & press ok. 

The link will be embedded. 

19 hours ago, paul's got wright said:

Relax dilly, enjoy a bit of herbert x

www.naturalphilosophy.org/site/harryricker/2015/05/25/herbert-dingle-maverick-scientist-and-anti-einstein-philosopher-of-science

I managed to get the link to work on my PC, though it hadn't on my phone.  No idea why.

Dingle was wrong, with evidence clearly showing time dilation is real.

This gives evidence on time dilation - I personally know a now retired prof at Durham Uni who did world class work understanding how we could measure muons created at the top of the atmosphere.

This obituary of Dingle explains how his errors enabled us to better understand relativity.

Archived