Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

22 hours ago, Chinahand said:

Now the question is do you have to move a different distance to lower the angle up to Polaris by one degree compared to raising the angle up to the sun by one degree when you travel South?

Any thoughts Paul? 

The northern sky has two prominent ways to consistently measure where you are - the midday sun and the Pole Star, Polaris.

One is directly over the North Pole. The other moves between the Tropic of Capricorn and the Tropic of Cancer.

We've looked at how the distance you have to move to change the angle up to the sun by 1 degree is different between a flat earth and the globe.  When you add in Polaris you get an even more different picture:

Maths10.thumb.png.1c6c2d5ebbc2b3f92a0e86f790659bf4.png

If the Earth was flat the distance you'd have to travel to change the angle up to the midday sun, or Polaris would vary and be totally different between the two (apart from one point equidistant between the pole and the sub-solar point).

This is nothing at all like reality and what you get if you actually measure how the angles of the stars and the sun change as you move on the surface of the earth.

A line of latitude means something - it fixes the position of the Pole star and the Sun (once you account for declination) and if you move to another line of latitude the angle to both Polaris and the midday sun will change by change in latitude - ie both Polaris and the sun are on a straight horizontal line on the graphs, just as predicted by Eratosthenes.

Surprise, surprise.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

Crazies on teh interwebs does not a worldwide phenomenon make.

1 hour ago, paul's got wright said:

Agreed.

Its the science that gets people so excited bob x

Glad we've got that sorted at last!

You also have to remember that onanistic FE frippery isn't science.  It's just a bit stupid.

1 minute ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

Glad we've got that sorted at last!

You also have to remember that onanistic FE frippery isn't science.  It's just a bit stupid.

You too have caught the vocabulary bug blobzie!

There is no obligation to remember any type of emotinal fantasy blobz. You cannot force people to remember fantasy mate x

1 hour ago, paul's got wright said:

Its news x

It's not, it's just a bit stupid.

But I guess at this stage I'm in danger of falling into the paul trap and keeping on banging on about something that everyone knows - to a level that is simulataneously tiresome annd somewhat disturbing.  So I'll just leave it at that.  Point made.  No need for further repition.

3 hours ago, paul's got wright said:

Holding conferences that the national news report on, is not muttering to yourself in any way shape or form. Again, you are a reality denier china

A theory believer of the sternest faith, in that which you cannot examine scientifically. A delluded zealot x

The news report on it for a specific reason.

Can you guess what that reason is?

Clue : Usually the news is such gloom and doom that every now and then you should try and give everyone a good laugh....

8 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

But I guess at this stage I'm in danger of falling into the paul trap and keeping on banging on about something that everyone knows - to a level that is simulataneously tiresome annd somewhat disturbing.  So I'll just leave it at that.  Point made.  No need for further repition.

What was your point again?

8 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

Its on the international media outlets blobz!

stop denying reality. Its news x

7 hours ago, P.K. said:

The news report on it for a specific reason.

Can you guess what that reason is?

Clue : Usually the news is such gloom and doom that every now and then you should try and give everyone a good laugh....

No need for guessing in the science thread peekay!

Just provide the specific reason as verified by the news.

Or are you just fantasizing again?

Archived