Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

Paul, you are a rude person.  You use put downs - putrid, minorhand, underhand - and pretend that it is a term of affection.  It isn't it is deliberately done.

You are breaking the rules china. I said, how do YOU know it isnt just a sign of affection. Thats the question you need to answer china. How do you know? I can assure you i am not a rude person, i have very good manners.

You admitted to being rude to me remember .

But lets not squabble. Can you accept the simple rules i proposed please?  We dont need to make false assumptions here x

57 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

Paul, you are a rude person.  You use put downs - putrid, minorhand, underhand - and pretend that it is a term of affection.  It isn't it is deliberately done.

Are you tellin me blobbie and blobzie are not affectionate monikers! Come on china lighten up x

On 11/23/2018 at 9:54 PM, paul's got wright said:

Maths isnt hard. Its a language emmy x

I said I was out of this debate, and when it comes to the shape of the earth and your view of what constitutes science I am. But I thought I’d challenge your assertions about maths. 

Firstly maths is hard. Maybe not at the level you’ve studied it to Paul, but all mathematicians get to a stage where they find it hard. For some kids that may be trying to understand basic trigonometry. For others it’s when they try to understand calculus and the notions of convergence, infinite series etc. For Einstein it was when he tried to get his head around tensor calculus and differential geometry. For Andrew Wiles it was linking the Taniyama-Shimura conjecture and elliptic curves in his proof of Fermat’s last theorem. If you don’t think Maths is hard Paul you don’t know enough about it. 

Secondly maths is not just a language. There are rules and syntax when it comes to calculations, but maths is far more than that. Maths is about structures and concepts. Language is simply a means to communicate about objects, actions, ideas. In maths ideas can be developed in new ways, logically based on what’s gone before, and seemingly different concepts can be linked together. 

Do you have faith in maths Paul? I do. Take Fermat’s theorem again. Very simple to state - look it up if you don’t know what it is - but the proof is understood by only a handful of people in the world. You and I are not amongst them. I believe it though because simple observations and calculations suggest it may be true - there is no counterexample - and trust that the mathematical community would not accept Wiles’ proof if it were flawed.  How about something simpler - Do you believe in irrational numbers Paul? The Pythagoreans didn’t want to, but since maths shows they have to exist, they must. You can’t do that with ‘just a language’. 

28 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I said I was out of this debate, and when it comes to the shape of the earth and your view of what constitutes science I am. But I thought I’d challenge your assertions about maths. 

Firstly maths is hard. Maybe not at the level you’ve studied it to Paul, but all mathematicians get to a stage where they find it hard. For some kids that may be trying to understand basic trigonometry. For others it’s when they try to understand calculus and the notions of convergence, infinite series etc. For Einstein it was when he tried to get his head around tensor calculus and differential geometry. For Andrew Wiles it was linking the Taniyama-Shimura conjecture and elliptic curves in his proof of Fermat’s last theorem. If you don’t think Maths is hard Paul you don’t know enough about it. 

Secondly maths is not just a language. There are rules and syntax when it comes to calculations, but maths is far more than that. Maths is about structures and concepts. Language is simply a means to communicate about objects, actions, ideas. In maths ideas can be developed in new ways, logically based on what’s gone before, and seemingly different concepts can be linked together. 

Do you have faith in maths Paul? I do. Take Fermat’s theorem again. Very simple to state - look it up if you don’t know what it is - but the proof is understood by only a handful of people in the world. You and I are not amongst them. I believe it though because simple observations and calculations suggest it may be true - there is no counterexample - and trust that the mathematical community would not accept Wiles’ proof if it were flawed.  How about something simpler - Do you believe in irrational numbers Paul? The Pythagoreans didn’t want to, but since maths shows they have to exist, they must. You can’t do that with ‘just a language’. 

This isnt a debate, its a discussion.

Science is a method of establishing, validating/ invalidating cause and effect relationships, in the natural world. Ok wrighty?

I dont have a view of what constitutes science, i just accept it for what it is. You cant have a view of what constitutes science, its written in stone. Science is the study of the physical and natural world. Thats not my view. Thats what it is. But you cant speak your own mind without attributing falsehoods to me, so no surprise there wrighty lad.

Maths is easy its a language anyone can speak, being universal. You can get by in life on very little math. The basics is all we need. If you want to create fantastical fairytales of your reality, then maths can become as complex as you NEED it to be.

I know exactly what maths is wrighty, and enjoyed reading your description, but i dont get religious about it. How can you have faith in a language? You can believe what you want wrighty, but can you force others to believe what you do? No

Maths doesnt show us anything, its not a person. We discover these thing by chosing to explore the language.

If not one human ever used maths, then the irrational numbers would never be "found".

Are they part of the natural world? Can you provide an example of a naturally occurring irrational number in nature?

how did human life persist and survive before "knowing" irrational numbers "existed" ?

because maths is just a language, and its a simple one we use each day, to aid us.

nothing more is required, unless you desperately need to convince someone that your beliefs are facts, and that there is dark matter and the like, gravitonal waves, probes on mars and all that jazz.

is maths your god wrighty?

Whats with all the big,never gonna post in here again crap? 

How many walters have pulled that one in here?

Is it meant to be some sort of hollyoaksesqe ultumatum, or show of intellectual bravado? 

Ooh the big scary science thread, questioning religion since 2015. 

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Mental. Absolutely mental.

Anyway, here is the first propaganda video ever made by the illuminati in their 'make everyone think the world is round to blind them from the truth' plan, it is from a Thor rocket launched in 1959

It would have been good to have seen the whole earth and continuous filming as both flat earth and ball earth theories could show the same picture. Not having a go at you teapot as I'm so sceptical of everything these days because of greed and corruption and what appears to be true isn't always the true picture. 

Thank you for posting it though :)

3 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Mental. Absolutely mental.

Anyway, here is the first propaganda video ever made by the illuminati in their 'make everyone think the world is round to blind them from the truth' plan, it is from a Thor rocket launched in 1959

Mental. Absolutely mental. Anyway...

Archived