Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

2 hours ago, Chinahand said:

Paul, I have provided what you wanted, there are multiple other ones, but let's assume you find some way to reject all of them.  What was Einstein doing? 

You seem to want to claim it wasn't SCIENCE (as you insist it is defined) ... my reply to this is huh ... science is about being able to predict a phenomenon - maybe the result of an experiment, maybe a natural phenomenon - does predicting eclipses fit your definition of science? 

What use is this definition of science if it tries to create an arbitrary demarcation within successful scientific predictions, some of which fit your over rigid definition, and most which do not.

Leaping up and down saying the ones that don't aren't science is to miss what science is used for.  A method to enable us to predict events and so skilfully react to them.  Einstein's relativity and eclipses do this, no matter your going on about independent variables.

Its not my definition china!

I will dismantle your nonsense "tomorrow" x

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, paul's got wright said:
13 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

"I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics." —Richard Feynman, The Character of Physical Law (MIT Press: Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1995), 129.

:P

Logical fallacy blobzie. If he doesnt understand it, how could he know? Doesnt sound too sure of himself either!

It isn’t a logical fallacy  to admit ignorance - it’s an observation. 

As Wrighty has already raised and as you have evaded answering there are lots of open questions in maths or science where no one knows the answer. Think Fermat’s last theorem before Andrew Wiles. It would have been perfectly fine prior to Wiles proving it for him or anyone else to say no one understands Fermat’s last theorem. 

You can be the pedant and insist on adding “as far as I know”. And that is the issue Wrighty is asking you about. Everything has to include such a caveat. 

11 hours ago, Chinahand said:

It isn’t a logical fallacy  to admit ignorance - it’s an observation. 

As Wrighty has already raised and as you have evaded answering there are lots of open questions in maths or science where no one knows the answer. Think Fermat’s last theorem before Andrew Wiles. It would have been perfectly fine prior to Wiles proving it for him or anyone else to say no one understands Fermat’s last theorem. 

You can be the pedant and insist on adding “as far as I know”. And that is the issue Wrighty is asking you about. Everything has to include such a caveat. 

He said nobody understands it, so that includes him, so he wouldnt know if someone did understand it. Also he hasnt queried and tested everyone to even know who understands it. Even if he did that, he doesn't understand it anyway.

Logical fallacy on steroids china.

I never evaded anything i requested wrighty grant me the same courtesy, still waiting for an answer. Oh the irony hey china. Ready when wrighty is x

4 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

Nah, I don't watch your videos.

Atmospheric refraction is a big issue at low angles.  Not understanding it and going flat earth flat earth isn't my cup of tea thank you.

It isnt my video china!

Nice try. Ok i shall watch it for you and post the relevant info x

12 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

I wonder does anyone watch his videos?

The one he posted of the guy playing Sultans of Swing was excellent. But the FE videos - probably not. I watched 10 minutes of one once, but that’s about it. 

china, you like a man with credentials. the video from Dr John D gives a brilliant introduction, all written, about who he is, what his credentials are and why he has undertaken theses tests.

he has, (or one of his team has, but I think its him) a PhD in Spectrophotometry.

here are the listed credentials at the start of the video. all the equipment data, tests etc are shown at the very beginning. I am going to watch it this affy. see what the doc's got to say about it all

DR John D and team

BSc hons. M.Sc.

DIC (Diploma of Imperial College, London)

PhD (Spectrophotometry)

Archived