Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great thread. But given that I live in China, on the actual other side of the round world, I can confirm that the earth is indeed a globular mass and not a flat plane. How? 

Simple. My 5pm video meetings, my time, where the sun is setting here, and rising on the IOM. But that only happens in summer, when the north of our globe is titled towards the sun. In summer, I see the sun set here, and I see it rise on the Island via video. In winter, we never share the sun. Dark here, dark there. The sun is shining down south.

Anyway, if you actually live on the other side of the world, one is very aware of how round the earth is. 

If I stand on my 11th floor balcony on the tropic of cancer, and and shine a laser at you ( very cheap.. I have a mate does them), can you see it?

I see the point in challanging science. It is to be aplauded. But science needs to be challanged by science, not anti science.

Today, I went on a supplier visit to a spring factory. We discussed stress and strain of a spring. Watched the machines, discussed radius and heat treatment.

My only thought about the shape of the place occured with time zones.. do we have time to do lunch and a ppt before that dastardly sun arises in the west and wakes up our boss on the island?

We managed lunch, with my wife (her birthday), got back to the office, design changes and ppt.

As the sun fell, we made the early morning video call to the isle of man, to report our spring stuff. A foward plan was agreed.

At no point did anyone claim the physics of a spring was wrong. And at no point did anyone proclaim that the earth is flat.

The mathematical equasions of the spring are not doubted by the flat earth society. Nor is the atomic makeup of the metal, I hear no debate from them about the facilcy of age hardening of alumium infused with copper. They do not fight galvanic corrosion protection of steel, nor do they fight boyles law.

All they talk about is lighthouses.

Because they are fucking idiots.

Leave them to it.

My arguement against them is that they dont just need to argue against one part of scientific fact, they need to fight it all. If they accecpt that steel rusts, why not accept the earth is round.  Rust is proven. We see it, and we have chemical equations. Proove steel does not rust.

3 hours ago, ScotsAlan said:

If anti science wins, we will live in a world where jet airliners with square windows fall out of the sky.  And nobody will suggest that square windows are a  bad idea.

Do you mean flat round windows? Having a ball shaped window might create a problem :)

Archived